300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Moving During Hiring

Does it make sense to move during the hiring process or before? I live in the Tri-State area and want to join a Fl police department (Tampa Bay area). I know that the hiring process can take almost a year to complete and I'm not sure exactly when the best time to move to the jurisdiction I plan to work in is. Can anyone share their story on how they went about the hiring process from another state? Working during the hiring process? Any advice would be appreciated.

You don't have a job offer but would move to the jurisdiction you plan to work in?

Why would you do that?

What happens if you move there and six months later get eliminated from the hiring process? Go work at Chick fil a? Move back?

Never give up a current employment in hopes of a prospective job until an offer is presented in writing.

Never move somewhere for a job in hopes that moving there will somehow magically facilitate employment with your dream employer.

Realize that 30% of new hires (national average) don't make it to the 12 month point.

So if you do get hired, rent, and only move the furniture and necessities needed to get by, at least until the first year passes. If everything works out, then settle in.

Or go ahead and move all your stuff now, buy a house, and hope it all works out (like the old saying goes though- "You can hope in one hand and poop in the other. See which one fills up first.")

When you're 20 you care what everyone thinks, when you're 40 you stop caring what everyone thinks, when you're 60 you realize no one was ever thinking about you in the first place.

-Winston Churchill

Comment

Very true, thanks. I was really saying that because of the back an forth during the hiring process. I guess I'll just have to fly down to Fl for every step in the hiring process.

Comment

You may have to. Heavy is the cost sometimes to follow a dream.

Ideally they have an accelerated process for out-state applicants, where all the interviewing and testing is done over a one or two day period. But if they don't, then it is what it is.

When you're 20 you care what everyone thinks, when you're 40 you stop caring what everyone thinks, when you're 60 you realize no one was ever thinking about you in the first place.

-Winston Churchill

Comment

Cart before the horse. Why do you want to work for a Florida police department? If you want to live in Florida, go ahead and move there, but you need to be able to support yourself. Some agencies have accelerated or concentrated processes for out of state candidates.

Comment

Because you get tired of a few trips, you would move? Read Rats response ten times.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6046 users online. 239 members and 5807 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X