Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I compare to others? What might my odds be of getting this opportunity :)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I compare to others? What might my odds be of getting this opportunity :)

Hello, I’m from the Los Angeles area, and recently I applied to the entry police officer position for Santa Barbara PD and have my written and PAT Saturday. I would love to have an idea of how I might compare to others based on past work experience and background. I’m 20 years old with a 100% clean record and I also have credit. My work experience is purely fire and ems related which means I do have my EMT certification. Say if I do pass both tests, how do I compare to most people applying for the same spot?

You haven't provided enough information to say. You will be better off than some who passed both tests, and worse off than others. Assuming Santa Barbara is a civil service agency, you want to do a lot better than just pass the test, you want to kill the test. Plenty of people who pass the written test won't get a second look because their score is not competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by SSJHectic View Post
      Hello, I’m from the Los Angeles area, and recently I applied to the entry police officer position for Santa Barbara PD and have my written and PAT Saturday. I would love to have an idea of how I might compare to others based on past work experience and background. I’m 20 years old with a 100% clean record and I also have credit. My work experience is purely fire and ems related which means I do have my EMT certification. Say if I do pass both tests, how do I compare to most people applying for the same spot?
      Providing EMT services is the primary function of the FD and not the PD, so having this certification doesn't help you that much. If you push those qualifications too hard on an oral, some panel members might think you could be prone to abandoning your police functions and going into fire department mode at the scene of an emergency and score you down instead of up. It's amazing how many people come up with things they think will enhance their score without considering what relevance it has to the actual duties of a police officer.

FWIW, there was a time when as part of the basic academy, we trained all of our officers to be EMTs. Over the several years the followed, we discovered that the infrequent number of times their EMT skills were needed, combined with the time and cost of periodic recertification did not justify maintaining the program, so we ended it except for flight crews because they still do some gnarly rescues out in the boondocks. Now we call fire for EMTs, just like everyone else..

As far as knowing how you compare against other who passed all phases of testing, come back and tell us what position you are on the list and how many vacancies they have to fill. Then we can give you a more meaningful answer.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6119 users online. 240 members and 5879 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X