300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed oral interview

Maybe someone can give me advice about this. I have failed two already and I don't know what I am doing wrong. I know that I am really nervous and they can probably tell that I am. My mind goes blank and I can't really think through what I want to say. Do you think they will tell me why I failed if I write a letter?

They said I have to wait a year to re-apply. I am really bummed out right now. I really wanted this job bad. I guess I will have to try other places.

If anyone can give me advice it would be great. I need some right now.
    www.amyandwandasrants.blogspot.com

Originally posted by alienbow
    Maybe someone can give me advice about this. I have failed two already and I don't know what I am doing wrong. I know that I am really nervous and they can probably tell that I am. My mind goes blank and I can't really think through what I want to say. Do you think they will tell me why I failed if I write a letter?

They said I have to wait a year to re-apply. I am really bummed out right now. I really wanted this job bad. I guess I will have to try other places.

If anyone can give me advice it would be great. I need some right now.
    Sounds like you answered your own question. The nervousness and inability to express your thoughts in an interview setting are kind of a big deal. If you using a lot of "uhhh"s snd "ummmm"s and are visably nervous then it doesn't really mater what your are saying. They expect some nervousness but not so much that you can't speak intelligently.

Don't be too bummed out. Most of us have had to apply to several agencies before getting a job. Just get some more interviews under your belt and maybe try to practice with someone. After a few interviews you will probably notice that most departments ask very similar questions in their interviews. After answering these questions a few times you will be more and more confident in your answers. Maybe take a public speaking class.
    Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

^^great reply. I agree with the communication/speech class 100%. Also, if you can remember the questions they ask you, you can start preparing answers ahead of time. The easiest thing about the oral when I've had them is that the board usually isn't that big, like 3-5 people. I make sure that whenever the person asking me the question finishes, I'm paying attention to them and looking eye to eye. Take time to THINK about your answer BEFORE you start to speak. One of the things they look for is can you intelligently and quickly think about the problem presented and provide them with a realistic and believeable solution. They want to see you thinking about it, not just off the top of your head. Sit up straight, look people in the eye, and speak with confidence. Believe your answer. You'll do fine.

Comment

agree with all the above posters.. we all get nervous in interviews.. so take the public speaking class. have mock interviews setup. maybe you can get feedback from the panel.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys. I am sure that I failed the oral interview both times because of being so nervous. I am definitely going to have to work on that. I purchased two books a while back that teaches you different things about the hiring process, I guess it's time to pull those out again.

I know that doesn't look good to a potential employer. I imagine they are thinking if I'm like that then I can't do the job.

Comment

I suggest you order this book from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Prepare-Interv...7295873&sr=8-1

"How to Prepare for an Interview and Obtain a Job as a Law Enforcement Officer"

it's a little outdated, but it conveys some of those essential skills needed.

I failed my first ever interview last summer, then decided to do something about it...purchased this book, read it a couple times, utilized all the suggestions it made, and I began passing my interviews.

Make sure you get plenty of sleep, and are alert and awake, that helps a lot. Get a good healthy meal beforehand too.

I bombed a recent interview because I was exhausted from working the night before (early interview next day and far away drive) and unprepared, and I failed to use some of the tools that book once taught me. I was nervous as hell too as this is very important to me.

But the interviews before I was doing very well at. and Not every interview will go 100% your way, and you can't be liked by everyone, but you can try.

Comment

Baco311

---------------
              Last edited by alienbow; 04-20-2008, 06:42 AM. Reason: Can't Spell

Comment

I agree, you answered your own question. Everyone is nervous during their oral interview and the people giving it are aware. Being nervous is normal. Being paralyzed by those nerves are not.

Practice in front of a mirror, how you would respond to a question. Then practice in front of a friend. Just remember, we are all human and we all get nervous. Just take a deep breath and take your time answering the questions so you can think about your response.

Good Luck

Comment

Thanks

---------------
                  Last edited by alienbow; 04-20-2008, 06:44 AM.

Comment

I was in a failing interview funk of 2 in a row midway through my testing. I used this to prep myself, very simple yet very helpful. http://www.monterey.org/mpd/careers/interview_tips.html As far as the nerves go I have garbage nerves. I began to use relaxation breathing during the interview process and I continue to use when I get a little excited when I am enroute to a good call. The process I use is to breath in to a count of 4 hold for a count of 1 and then breath out for a count of 4. It helps.
                    My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

Experience experience experience. Every interview you go through you'll become better an answering their questions. The fact that you're getting to the interview stages show that you're smart enough to pass the exams. Be confident and dress for success.

I found that if I have to sit and think about a question, I'll start my answer off by "that's a great question," or something to that effect. It buys time and it makes you sound like you're interested in what they're asking you.

Be prepared to answer:

Tell me about yourself. (Be brief. Talk about your hobbies.)
                      Why do you want to be a police officer?
                      What do you know about our department?
                      What attracts you to our department?
                      Why should we pick you?

Last, remember, you're not looking for a job. You're looking for a career. Emphasize it.
                      -Stay safe

Comment

J Mann

-------------
                        Last edited by alienbow; 04-20-2008, 06:40 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5432 users online. 307 members and 5125 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X