300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dui 4 Years, Adw As A Minor

So I've applied to a few departments last year. I passed the written, physical, and oral boards with all of them. When I got to the Backgrounds I was DQ'd or put on an eligibility list. One of the BI's told me to put myself through the academy and to try again in a year. So I've enrolled in a police academy and graduate in early December(Modular Academy-since I work full time). I was hoping to graduate in a uniform, so I was going to start putting out applications in July/August. Should I go ahead as planned or wait until I graduate in December and have that POST certificate? My background is a little shady........I have an assault with a deadly weapon as a minor( I hit a guy with a cane once, no GBI, did not receive medical attention) and a DUI in August of 2003. Since my DUI I've set a goal of becoming a peace officer. I have some college credits in Admin. of Justice and have been in a few citizens academy's and ride-alongs. I 've also been employed with the same company for 12 years. Any suggestions?

Anxious!!

How long ago was that assault (even though as a minor)? 4 years from DUI, still might be too close. I think you'll have to wait another 2-3 before that becomes a minor/less of an issue. Good luck regardless. I wish Illinois had where you could put yourself through the academy.

Comment

My assault charge was in 1993-14 years ago

Comment

In most states, Assault w/a Deadly Weapon is a felony. Even if it was a juvenile offense it could be a problem. The DUI arrest is a possible red flag as well. If I were doing your BI, I'd be asking you some pretty pointed questions concerning these arrests. Putting yourself through an Academy is always kind of a "crap-shoot". You spend the time, you spend the money, and at graduation you have no guarantee of a job in law enforcement. Go ahead and apply. Fully disclose both the Juvenile arrest and the DUI. Keep in mind that the Background Investigator can access all of your records, including any as a juvenile.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4850 users online. 276 members and 4574 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X