300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entry Level Separation/Uncharacterized Discharge

I failed the run in basic. I was overweight, and that is my fault. Spare me the insults. This was a few years ago and I've since bettered myself and am now in very good shape. I also have an associate's in Criminal Justice and am EMT certified. Flawless background. I am just a little worried the discharge will set me back significantly. I am willing to do anything to become a police officer, it was why I tried to join the military in the first place. I did try to go back but I was told getting a waiver would be near impossible. Do you think the discharge will set me back? I know and understand that those with an honorable discharge and equal or better education will be preferred, justifiably so.

Be prepared to explain it, in depth, and answer a ton of questions. This in and of itself wouldn’t be a deal breaker here, but it definitely isn’t going to help you.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Depending on the specifics of what happened (never heard of someone getting discharged over one failed run...) you may be eligible to upgrade your discharge status through the VA. You can click around on www.ebenefits.va.gov; I know it's on there somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by DelaWhere View Post
        I failed the run in basic. I was overweight, and that is my fault. Spare me the insults. This was a few years ago and I've since bettered myself and am now in very good shape. I also have an associate's in Criminal Justice and am EMT certified. Flawless background. I am just a little worried the discharge will set me back significantly. I am willing to do anything to become a police officer, it was why I tried to join the military in the first place. I did try to go back but I was told getting a waiver would be near impossible. Do you think the discharge will set me back? I know and understand that those with an honorable discharge and equal or better education will be preferred, justifiably so.
        There's more to it than that. And yes, we do get to judge you.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

There is no more to it. I failed the run, they gave me two days to try again, failed that one and then was booted.

Comment

I'm sure things have changed since the 80s but I went through basic with a bunch of fat guys who failed the run and they had 10 weeks or something to get it down.

​​​​​​

Comment

Barring anything else in your background, if you're now physically capable, I don't see the discharge being an auto DQ. Be up front if asked about it and good luck.

Comment

You failed one run and got a discharge? They didn't have a platoon of people that needed a little extra help w/ PT? There is a different name for it now but I believe it's considered trainee discharge, or failure to adapt. Either way it's not a less than honorable. How is your running now?
                I would do everything in my power to be in the best possible shape I could get into, Consider hiring a personal trainer or running coach and write that in your PHS to show how motivated you are.

Apply to multiple agencies. Not everyone is cut out to be in the military. Be willing to move, to a part of the country that is hiring a lot of people. You can always lateral back to wherever if you don't like the area
                (after a couple of years). Some depts. are hiring like crazy and others have hundreds of apps for a couple of positions.
                Last edited by Zeitgeist; 11-12-2018, 10:21 PM.
                Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

When I went in you had an initial PT test in reception battalion in order to "ship" across base for basic to begin. Folks who failed did get re-attempts but those who couldn't pass it were sent to a PT specific platoon for several weeks to get them up to the minimum standard for entry into a basic training platoon. Additionally, there were (are) standards for enlistment and everyone shipped is expected to be able to complete the bare minimum (I believe it was a mile in 8.5 miles.)

Something fishy with the story. The amount of time and effort it takes to get someone enlisted means they usually try and keep you and force you to improve, unless you're a failure to adapt/refusal to train and they boot you for cause.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10950 users online. 407 members and 10543 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X