Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview, now cold....Call or email?

Good afternoon everyone.

A little over a month ago, I had an oral board interview for an area department. A week after the interview, I got invited to come back for a command staff interview. That was an interview with two department lieutenants. That interview was a bit more casual and conversation-like, and less being grilled with questions. I feel that interview went well, there was a lot of good back and forth. At the end of the interview, one of the lieutenants told me I did very well, and they would be in touch soon. At the end of the interview, they also invited me back to do a ride along "to make sure the department is in line with my expectations." Did the ride along, that seemed to go well too. The officer I was riding with told me that if I had a command staff interview and invited me for a ride along, they were also probably getting ready to offer me a job.

Well, since the command staff interview and ride along, I've heard nothing, and that was now 4 weeks ago. I do know this for a fact, this department usually only invites about 20-25 people to the oral board, and of those candidates, maybe a max of four or five people to the command staff interview (I was told they were hiring two). So I haven't heard anything saying I wasn't selected....But haven't heard anything saying I was either.

My questions is, it now being 4 weeks, should I perhaps email them and make sure nothing was lost in communication? And before anybody mentions anything, I have checked my junk box in my email, and there isn't anything in there. Is this generally regarded as ok, or is it too pushy? Of course if I emailed them, it would be in a polite and respectful manner.

Thanks in advance!

People have different opinions on this. My personal opinion is just wait. If there are 20-25 people who have to be interviewed, set up a ride along, and perhaps finish any remaining steps in the process, that could take well over 4 weeks alone. Plus the time it takes to actually consider all candidates against each other and choose the final two. The process is moving at the speed the department wants it to move at, nothing you say or do is going to change that. It’s pretty easy to shoot out a “Thanks, but no thanks” letter/email. If you haven’t gotten that, just be patient. Good luck.

Comment

• PrimalMedic413
      PrimalMedic413 commented
      Editing a comment
      The oral board was the first screen out, and definitely took place only over the course of a couple days. Those 20-25 candidates get whittled down to just a few, who get selected for a command staff interview. So since I made it to the command staff interview, there was only a few other people. Thank you for the reply.

Let's assume they have decided to hire you. They are not going to hand you a badge and a gun and toss you out on the street. You will first need to go through an academy. Academies are not held every day. They are conducted when there are enough candidates to make it financially practical to put together such a training class. Depending on the size of your agency and who they use for an academy, it could be every six months. In the mean time, they are not going to hire you to sit around the station and do nothing, waiting for an academy to start.

Right now, you are learning one of the primary rules of government - Hurry Up and Wait. Another primary rule of government is - Sometimes The Squeaky Wheel Gets Replaced. Don't bug them. They will get to you in their own good time.

FWIW, years back I had a single position to fill and two equally qualified and equally scoring candidates on the list. I was leaning towards Candidate A, I can't say why, it was just something about the candidate that said they they were the best pick. I was unable to make an offer because there was temporary hiring freeze that lasted for about seven months. In the meantime, Candidate B repeatedly called me asking when I was going to make the appointment, asking for a projected timeline. and trying to sell herself. It quickly became clear from the tone and nature of Candidate B's calls, if I ever hired her, she would try to supervise me rather than the other way around. It became clear that if Candidate A turned the job down when the hiring freeze was lifted, I should move on to Candidate C instead.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• PrimalMedic413
      PrimalMedic413 commented
      Editing a comment
      I understand the process. But they told me in the interview that the next academy starts in December. Yet, I haven't even done a background/psych/poly yet, or met with the chief. Even if there was a hiring freeze implemented in the last 4 weeks, I would hope they'd at least contact me and let me know that. You are right though, hurry up and wait goes with every government job (I'm in one right now).

• L-1
      L-1 commented
      Editing a comment
      What you have described is normal in the hiring process. Your anxiety is not their problem. Just wait it out and leave them alone

The bottom line is that the hiring process proceeds on THEIR timeline not yours. You will be contacted when THEY are ready to go forward. Not before

FOUR weeks is not a blink in time for a 20 year career. Your interview is far from "cold"
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 11-06-2018, 05:27 PM.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalMedic413 View Post
      The officer I was riding with told me that if I had a command staff interview and invited me for a ride along, they were also probably getting ready to offer me a job.
      Your statement led me to believe you were essentially done with the process and were waiting for “The Call.” Seeing as how you still have multiple steps left, I definitely wouldn’t call. They are clearly working through their list and will let you know if/when you’re moving forward. As Iowa said, this is on their timeline. Just because they said the next class starts in December doesn’t mean you’ll be in it. They may have decided their timeline for hiring was too agressive and will wait until the next academy to hire. There may be two top candidates they want and you’re an alternate pending how those people do on the remaining steps. Point is, there are a lot of moving parts. You don’t need to understand them, or agree, just know there are.

Not sure what you do for a living right now, but consider this. Most agencies don’t have a full-time hiring unit. A detective, who likely has plenty other case work to do, usually gets assigned to a background or to be a candidate POC as the process continues. Typically, it happens with no advance notice and command staff wants a quick turnaround. Now, not only does said detective have to deal with their own work/cases, they have added work with pressure from the top to be thorough but quick. Then comes Johnny Applicant leaving voicemails or emails asking the status of something the detective just got assigned. Can you see the frustration that could cause? That’s why I recommend being patient, because you never know how someone who’s in a position to effect the outcome of your process will react. From HR to the PD staff.

We all understand the excitement/nervousness/angst of waiting for that call. We’ve all been there, so I totally understand where you’re coming from. In a few years when you’re hired on and you see the process from the other side you’ll be telling applicants the same.

Comment

Keep applying to other departments until someone offers you a job.

Comment

So I got some advice on here saying don't bother them, and other people telling me that a polite email thanking them wouldn't be a bad idea (worded extremely carefully though). So I sent an email to the person I've been dealing with. He emailed me back fairly quickly and let me know that I didn't miss any communications, and that despite having two openings, they only had one seat in the academy, and they went with a different candidate. He did say though that when they have another seat in a future academy, I'll be on the eligible list and they'll be in touch. So I got some good info, no harm done, he could've washed me out right then if he really wanted to. Now that I know what's going on, I'll just sit and wait (and apply elsewhere too).

Thanks for the advice everybody.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10948 users online. 403 members and 10545 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X