300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to "stand out"

I've been testing in around o.o-land for about 2 years now and I'm looking for some good ways to separate myself from the applicant pool.

About me:

pros - .
    deleted

cons -
    deleted

I've thought about getting involved in some volunteering or p/t auxiliary police positions. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks
    Last edited by biz; 01-19-2008, 10:21 AM. Reason: public forum
    "Relax"

300 test, 100 make the final list, and only one or two get the job! How do I become the one
    "Relax"

Comment

Depends. Are you willing to relocate? If not you may end up waiting a while and may not get into the dept.

How old are the rest of your convictions? If the 10-12 tickets were fairly recent and rather severe that may continue to create a problem. It's displays a bad driving history so the question begins....has the problem been resolved or are you just not getting caught?

If you're passionate about a career in this profession you may just have to suck it up and go work somewhere else. 300 to a handful of positions is going to be hard to beat for anyone without having pretty much a picture perfect resume and history.

Comment

Most departments give a written exam. As a practical matter you need to score in the mid to high nineties to be considered further. Your failure to pass Background Investigations could be a definite factor in future applications. I don't expect you to go into detail concerning past problems on this forum. Your driving record could be a factor, depending on the frequency, seriousness, how recent the violations are. Indebtedness can be a factor, as financial responsibility is a gauge many departments use to determine a candidate's overall responsibility. The key to that item is how you are handling your debts currently. Most agencys can afford to be very selective, as they have a large applicant pool from which to choose.

Comment

None of the traffic violations are recent. Most are prior to 2001 with the exception of one in '04. I'd agree with Philip, scoring higher on the written exam would be the best way to separate myself. I do much better on the exams geared for logic/ thought vs. math/grammar heavy. I should have taken different electives!

Thanks for the advise guys
          "Relax"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3206 users online. 200 members and 3006 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X