300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accounting & Finance?

I am a double major that will graduate soon with two degrees, a BBA in Accounting and a BBA in Finance. I know that some guys say to avoid CJ degrees due to the oversaturated candidate pool of applicants with that degree but how much will my two degrees in business set me apart from the rest of the crowd?

Thanks in advance

Depends on what kind of department you're applying to. If you're talking about your average municipal PD or sheriff's office, probably not much...most PD's just care if you have a degree, not necessarily what it's in (though some do specify CJ or related degrees, that's normally spelled out in the hiring guidelines). Now, some Federal agencies may express great interest in Accounting and Finance degrees (FBI, IRS) as they can be useful in white collar investigations.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post
      Depends on what kind of department you're applying to. If you're talking about your average municipal PD or sheriff's office, probably not much...most PD's just care if you have a degree, not necessarily what it's in (though some do specify CJ or related degrees, that's normally spelled out in the hiring guidelines). Now, some Federal agencies may express great interest in Accounting and Finance degrees (FBI, IRS) as they can be useful in white collar investigations.
      Yep

Degrees set a person apart when going up for promotions NOT when getting hired -------- except when talking the FEDS or specific state agencies
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I've heard the Feds love people with accounting degrees. As for local agencies, it varies. CJ or worse LE are very niche market degrees. The ones you have will likely still give you extra points during the testing process but ultimately you need to be a salesperson. Sell yourself as to why you're the best candidate.

Comment

When I applied to a municipal agency, my two bachelor degrees (one in business) and doctorate set me apart, as well as my military and reserve law enforcement experience. My degrees also give me an additional percentage in pay. It will vary from agency to agency.
          "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

For a municipal job, it won't matter. You get to check the "I have a degree" box either way. What the accounting/finance degree does for you is set you up for opportunities with other agencies, or a specialized task force within the department that hires you. It also give you more flexibility in the job market, because you need to find a job while waiting to get hired by an agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10929 users online. 405 members and 10524 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X