Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Candidate- Background Packet/ Investigation Question

Hello!
    I am new to this forum. I currently work in Assets Protection for Target, however I am looking to start my career in law enforcement.
    A little background about me... I have work in Healthcare Security for one year, which was some of the best experience I have obtained along this journey. I have worked in Assets Protection/ Loss Prevention for about a year as well. I was an Explorer for four years, and a Reserve Officer (Non Sworn) for a few months.
    My question that I am seeking a response about is as follows...
    I am having a difficulty finding out how to explain in a background, and oral board, how to explain a search warrant that was done on my 3 years ago in reference to theft. I never stole any property, but it was in my possession. I completely forgot that I had the property, which consisted of two motorolla radios that I had acquired through riding along as an Explorer way back. I was never charged with theft by the agency, as the Prosecutor denied their attempt.
    I am curious if this is an end to my hopes of being a Police Officer, or if there is a decent way to explain this. This is a very summarized version of what had happened, and I know that it needs to be brought up. I am seeking a career in Texas, IF that makes any difference.
    I appreciate any guidance you have.

Stay Safe!

It's definitely going to raise a red flag. I don't know the whole story but be honest and up front about everything when asked about it.

Comment

Basically what NW121 said.

I was going through a bunch of stuff that I'd accumulated over the years and came across a set of handcuffs w/ a name 'engraved' in them. There is a Father (retired) and a son (active) in my dept. with that last name. I asked around, and was able to contact the Father. He provided his address and I mailed them to him. I did not intentionally take the handcuffs. I worked in the same area as the son about 8 yrs ago. Honest mistake.

Just be straight forward. Explain the circumstances. The key is do not lie. Be honest.
      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

TWO radios that you had acquired while riding as an explorer.......................................... . That's a bit more than a pair of handcuffs

Background red flags are looked at as the whole incident . It doesn't matter if there were charges or not the entire incident will be evaluated. Quite honestly since the agency had to pull a search warrant to recover the property AND that charges were refereed to the prosecutor who declined makes this incident a bit more troublesome than you forgetting you had a borrowed a pen and forgot to return it.

Disclose and see what happens
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Good luck explaining this, I don't know how you wouldn't know you had two department radios. Also I doubt they didn't try to recover the radios by contacting you before they got a warrant.

Comment

• AspiringLEO16
            AspiringLEO16 commented
            Editing a comment
            I was expecting a response of this sort upon posting this. I had two Department radios. I acquired the first one from the Deputy I did ride alongs with regularly while I was an Explorer. Deputy told me to keep it at my house because I was with him all of the time and it saved them time from stopping at the sub-station to grab me one. That one stopped working, so I told him I needed to replace it. He brought me a new one, and we didn't stop at the sub-station. That radio was in a backpack I would bring with when I did a ride along. When I moved out of my parents house, they cleaned my old room the way they wanted it for a guest room, placing the contents in bins. ALSO, I didn't ride with the Deputy for a good while before I resigned from being an Explorer, so I completely forgot about them. I only used them while riding along, one didn't work (both when they got them) and they didn't contact me in regards to them.
            This entire ordeal began through a traffic stop where I had items they believed to have been stolen.

How were you a “Reserve” for a few months only and how is that a non sworn position?
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• AspiringLEO16
            AspiringLEO16 commented
            Editing a comment
            In my state, Reserve Officers are not sworn positions. They are a support service to patrol, or for public events.
            Also, was only in it for a few months due to the agency that conducting the search warrant contacting them stating they were charging me with a crime, THOUGH they did NOT charge me with theft, as they said they would. They tried charging me with driving charges from over a year prior that started the entire ordeal, which were dropped due to no physical evidence of the stop. (Dashcam magically disappeared).

There isn't really a good way to explain the situation, that's why I came to to forum to ask current LEO's their thoughts, also in hopes to get some sort of insight from command staff that may have come across something similar.
            Last edited by AspiringLEO16; 11-04-2018, 06:37 PM. Reason: Additional Information

I’m sure the reports and search warrant affidavit are good reads on what really happened. You resigned from being an explorer, but somehow didn’t realize you had not one, but two police radios? I’m sure when you left, the department asked for all their equipment back and may have even provided a check list. Then you get traffic stopped and have “items they believed were stolen.” This sounds like police explorer code for, “I was riding around playing vigilante cop when I got pulled over. The officer saw items that looked like I was playing vigilante cop and I couldn’t explain how or why I had them.” Your information then likely went to investigations and they started looking into who you are and why you had those “items.” I’m just spitballing here...

Just curious...what kind of car do you drive??

Comment

No kidding. This cats lies are so obvious, he's trying to get us to help him out. Done.

Comment

We wouldn't hire you.
              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
              that we are all that stands between
              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Just because the DA is too lazy to take the case means nothing to the background investigation. The agency knows what the truth is.
                Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ThinBlue404 View Post
                  I’m sure the reports and search warrant affidavit are good reads on what really happened. You resigned from being an explorer, but somehow didn’t realize you had not one, but two police radios? I’m sure when you left, the department asked for all their equipment back and may have even provided a check list. Then you get traffic stopped and have “items they believed were stolen.” This sounds like police explorer code for, “I was riding around playing vigilante cop when I got pulled over. The officer saw items that looked like I was playing vigilante cop and I couldn’t explain how or why I had them.” Your information then likely went to investigations and they started looking into who you are and why you had those “items.” I’m just spitballing here...

Just curious...what kind of car do you drive??
                  Spot ON
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

There's no way to explain that away. Search warrants aren't arbitrarily issued. They aren't going to go through the trouble just for some kid that forgot to turn in a couple of radios.

Don't quit your current job!
                    Last edited by westside popo; 11-07-2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

How many attempts did they make to contact you before they had to get a search warrant?

Comment

What did they find during the Traffic Stop that led them to stolen radios?

Comment

We will NEVER hear the true story...unless we get a copy of the SW.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10939 users online. 404 members and 10535 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X