300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteer Work instead of Paid + Credit Score

Something I couldn't find brought up often here...

I do a lot of volunteer work. Enough to rack up nearly 40 hours a week, alongside my 'job' as a freelance artist (I don't make enough to file for taxes). However, this means I don't have an employment history. Would the months on months of volunteer work make for a good employment reference?

Also, because I don't file taxes, I haven't found a way to build a credit score (no credit card, never saw the need to since I only buy what I can afford, and my credit union won't sign me up for a credit card without pay stubs). Are departments willing to accept people with no credit score documented? Or is this going to be seen as an automatic decline from the system because mine is nonexistent?

Edit: One more thing. The people I work for, the ones who know me for more than two years (for the personal recommendation letter), are not native English speakers. Is it okay to get recommendation letters from people out of country? (They can speak English) Or is it immediately thrown away? Also, is it okay to get recommendation letters in a foreign language (submitting both the original document and a translated copy)? Or should I stick with English only?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by GLaDOS; 10-31-2018, 01:09 PM.

How do you survive? Why do you spend 40 hours a week volunteering instead of working and getting paid? I am going to spend zero effort in making sure a foreign language document has been translated correctly.

Comment

I'm living with my parents, helping to pay the bills, at least the money that doesn't go to charity. I do buy my own food/gym/etc and my own insurance. I spend my time volunteering because I don't need the money right now. I've got enough saved up to last me a few years on my own, god forbid if anything happens to my family--to go job hunting. But I'd rather live with my family than live alone, to be honest. And the money I've made helps to support them.

I don't need money for myself. I gave up spending on myself a long time ago. I don't deserve entertainment/frivolities/luxury but that's just a personal choice on my end to pay for my sins.

So, I'm guessing by your answer that a foreign language letter of recommendation should not be submitted?
      Last edited by GLaDOS; 10-31-2018, 03:46 PM.

Comment

A foreign language document will likely be ignored. Like the poster said above, the agency won't try to translate it likely as not. Lack of credit score will probably look odd but it's explainable.

Comment

Originally posted by GLaDOS View Post

But I'd rather live with my family than live alone......

I gave up spending on myself a long time ago.

I don't deserve entertainment/frivolities/luxury but that's just a personal choice on my end to pay for my sins.
          Just offhand, I suspect you may have a problem with the psych.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Ahhhh maybe. I just have a guilty conscious over stealing a few things in my younger years... Like keychains or Trading Card Game cards, kids toys... ~10 infractions of theft from my 16 and under years (none of which were reported). I learned my lesson either way after seeing it hurt people and didn't give me much in return. I give back to charity in return for what I've taken, haven't given to myself since, and never looked back. Kept me straight. Helps people without asking anything in return--people usually do give back in one way or another and that's all that's needed.

And no one wants to die alone unexpectedly (which was what I meant with 'living with family than alone'). It's a silly fear that will most likely go away with age and time.
            Last edited by GLaDOS; 10-31-2018, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Ahhhh maybe. I just have a guilty conscious over stealing a few things in my younger years... Like keychains or Trading Card Game cards, kids toys... ~10 infractions of theft from my 16 and under years (none of which were reported). I learned my lesson either way after seeing it hurt people and didn't give me much in return. I give back to charity in return for what I've taken, haven't given to myself since, and never looked back. Kept me straight. Helps people without asking anything in return--people usually do give back in one way or another and that's all that's needed.

And no one wants to die alone unexpectedly (which was what I meant with 'living with family than alone'). It's a silly fear that will most likely go away with age and time.
              Forgive me for poking your conscious with a sharp stick, but if you feel that kind of guilt now, what's going to happen to your psyche when you encounter a resisting suspect who fights so violently and continuously that you have to beat him half to death in order to get out with your life?

As a cop, you may have to do some very ugly and violent things to another human being. Things that under other circumstances would be totally repugnant and shock the conscious. George Orwell has been quoted as once saying, people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. Are you prepared to be one of those rough men?
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

You would not pass our process. You have some issues that are flagging you.
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Something I couldn't find brought up often here...

I do a lot of volunteer work. Enough to rack up nearly 40 hours a week, alongside my 'job' as a freelance artist (I don't make enough to file for taxes). However, this means I don't have an employment history. Would the months on months of volunteer work make for a good employment reference?

Also, because I don't file taxes, I haven't found a way to build a credit score (no credit card, never saw the need to since I only buy what I can afford, and my credit union won't sign me up for a credit card without pay stubs). Are departments willing to accept people with no credit score documented? Or is this going to be seen as an automatic decline from the system because mine is nonexistent?

Edit: One more thing. The people I work for, the ones who know me for more than two years (for the personal recommendation letter), are not native English speakers. Is it okay to get recommendation letters from people out of country? (They can speak English) Or is it immediately thrown away? Also, is it okay to get recommendation letters in a foreign language (submitting both the original document and a translated copy)? Or should I stick with English only?

Thank you in advance.

When I read your post I assumed you were in your early twenties. According to your profile you're 33 -- MUCH too old for your current life style and lack of employment/credit history.

Why do you want to be a LEO? What qualifications do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

Forgive me for poking your conscious with a sharp stick, but if you feel that kind of guilt now, what's going to happen to your psyche when you encounter a resisting suspect who fights so violently and continuously that you have to beat him half to death in order to get out with your life?

As a cop, you may have to do some very ugly and violent things to another human being. Things that under other circumstances would be totally repugnant and shock the conscious. George Orwell has been quoted as once saying, people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. Are you prepared to be one of those rough men?
                    ^^^ this right here.

You do not have the psychological profile of a candidate that my agency would hire.

And to be blunt, if you think you’ve never had the need for a credit card to build a credit score, then you’ve already lost.

Volunteering since you were 16 to pay for the guilt of petty theft from your younger days? Either there is more to the story or you have major guilt issues which won’t fly as a cop.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

Guilty conscious is usually reserved for hurting people who are innocent. I've had to beat a man half to death when he was attempting to sexually assault me. I did not feel guilty, but I would have if I had not done anything. On the other hand, physically apprehending my mother, who is drunk, for trying to physically assault me, I would have guilt over even though it prevented her from harming me. I'm not sure if this is a situation that is similar to what you're describing.

I'm also not sure how to multi-quote here so.
                      not.in.MY.town WHOOPS not sure why it says I'm 33 (most likely autofill from other entries when I first registered), I'm 22 years old. Good god that'd be pungent, living with my parents at that age??? I'm definitely going to grow out of wanting to live with them within the next couple of years.
                      ​​​​​​
                      I do have qualifications, such as my experience in situations that police officers may face (assault and having to fight back, conflict de-escalation (trying to calm down drunken mother when she wants to physically assault my father, among other things), the time spent on ride alongs and Citizens Police Academy, firing a gun (hunting, with good aim), physical training I'm working on but will be more than prepared when it comes time for the PT, since the standards are different for females... And then there's the whole "diversity hiring" thing that's been making headway.. I'd be the first black woman on my local department's team.

BP3 Well, if you think it's that important, then maybe I should. I don't see myself buying a house (rent is better unless you want to sell and make a profit), and I already have a car, which a good credit score is required to do either. But if having good credit is really that necessary, then I'll look into ways to building that score. As always, there's more to the story; I was a brat as a teen, just so negative and resentful of life and had quite a mouth on me. At one point, my father, who's friends with the local sheriff, took me to juvy and showed me the cell I'd end up in if I kept acting the way I did. I'm paying for all those years of being such a negative, ugly person, not just for stealing. Once I reach 8 years of penance I'll be satisfied. Two more years to go for all the **** I gave other people.

I really appreciate the responses as well as answering some of my questions. Thank you
                      Last edited by GLaDOS; 11-01-2018, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Guilty conscious is usually reserved for hurting people who are innocent. I've had to beat a man half to death when he was attempting to sexually assault me. I did not feel guilty, but I would have if I had not done anything. On the other hand, physically apprehending my mother, who is drunk, for trying to physically assault me, I would have guilt over even though it prevented her from harming me. I'm not sure if this is a situation that is similar to what you're describing.

I'm also not sure how to multi-quote here so.
                        not.in.MY.town WHOOPS not sure why it says I'm 33 (most likely autofill from other entries when I first registered), I'm 22 years old. Good god that'd be pungent, living with my parents at that age??? I'm definitely going to grow out of wanting to live with them within the next couple of years.
                        ​​​​​​
                        I do have qualifications, such as my experience in situations that police officers may face (assault and having to fight back, conflict de-escalation (trying to calm down drunken mother when she wants to physically assault my father, among other things), the time spent on ride alongs and Citizens Police Academy, firing a gun (hunting, with good aim), physical training I'm working on but will be more than prepared when it comes time for the PT, since the standards are different for females... And then there's the whole "diversity hiring" thing that's been making headway.. I'd be the first black woman on my local department's team.

BP3 Well, if you think it's that important, then maybe I should. I don't see myself buying a house (rent is better unless you want to sell and make a profit), and I already have a car, which a good credit score is required to do either. But if having good credit is really that necessary, then I'll look into ways to building that score. As always, there's more to the story; I was a brat as a teen, just so negative and resentful of life and had quite a mouth on me. At one point, my father, who's friends with the local sheriff, took me to juvy and showed me the cell I'd end up in if I kept acting the way I did. I'm paying for all those years of being such a negative, ugly person, not just for stealing. Once I reach 8 years of penance I'll be satisfied. Two more years to go for all the **** I gave other people.

I really appreciate the responses as well as answering some of my questions. Thank you
                        I suppose at 22 there's still hope for you...but you better start growing up and leading a more productive life soon! Give it five years, get a "real" job, develop professional relationships, build credit...THEN apply.

Help me understand this: Why do you choose to live with your parents when your mother is a violent alcoholic? If it hasn't happened already...sooner or later you'll wind up in a DV situation that will end your career aspirations. Guaranteed.

I don't even know what to say about the guilt and 8 years of penance...

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

I suppose at 22 there's still hope for you...but you better start growing up and leading a more productive life soon! Give it five years, get a "real" job, develop professional relationships, build credit...THEN apply.

Help me understand this: Why do you choose to live with your parents when your mother is a violent alcoholic? If it hasn't happened already...sooner or later you'll wind up in a DV situation that will end your career aspirations. Guaranteed.

I don't even know what to say about the guilt and 8 years of penance...
                          So, just want to clarify, months to a year of volunteering at the same place wouldn't garner/qualify as professional relationships enough to use as reference? I'd read that it is extremely helpful in other employment fields (I have no idea for law enforcement). So perhaps it is different. The two departments I'm looking at are heavily focused on community relations, whereas I've read others may be focused more on drug or child trafficking? I thought the volunteer work would show that I'm a community-driven individual if nothing else...

I will definitely be building credit as soon as possible now. Thank you for your advice : )

As for the living situation. It's been this way all our lives. So I'm used to it. She's never left any bruises or marks to show police, and after I learned techniques to de-escalate, the number of physical altercations has gone from ~10 a year to 0. We're all trying to help her get better. It's just a matter of her finding it within herself to control herself when she's feeling things get out of hand. I had anger issues once, too, but I learned how to let go. She's learning how to as well thanks to a group of friends/service from the air force base.
                          Last edited by GLaDOS; 11-01-2018, 06:37 AM.

Comment

So, just want to clarify, months to a year of volunteering at the same place wouldn't garner/qualify as professional relationships enough to use as reference? I'd read that it is extremely helpful in other employment fields (I have no idea for law enforcement). So perhaps it is different. The two departments I'm looking at are heavily focused on community relations, whereas I've read others may be focused more on drug or child trafficking? I thought the volunteer work would show that I'm a community-driven individual if nothing else...

I will definitely be building credit as soon as possible now. Thank you for your advice : )

As for the living situation. It's been this way all our lives. So I'm used to it. She's never left any bruises or marks to show police, and after I learned techniques to de-escalate, the number of physical altercations has gone from ~10 a year to 0. We're all trying to help her get better. It's just a matter of her finding it within herself to control herself when she's feeling things get out of hand. I had anger issues once, too, but I learned how to let go. She's learning how to as well thanks to a group of friends/service from the air force base.

Just apply and find out. Perhaps you're exactly what the department is looking for....

Comment

No agency concentrates on one aspect of crime. You wouldn’t even be involved in those, or any, type of investigations for years. Your personal experiences don’t mean a thing.

I’m interested in the beating of the alleged attacker and the physical fights with his mother. Any police reports? 22years old with an already established Psych history. Multiple assaults. Thefts.

Yeah.
                              Last edited by CCCSD; 11-01-2018, 11:01 AM.
                              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
                                not.in.MY.town commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Not that it makes much of a difference, but OP is a female.

Definitely way too many red flags for any competitive agency to hire her...but some departments across the country do seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for recruits...

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10923 users online. 403 members and 10520 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X