300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City/Town vs State

My question is would you leave your job working in a city or a town to go work for the state police. The reason for my question is, I am in the background stage for a city department and the state application just came out. The state police is my ultimate goal, but I want to get my foot in the door anywhere I can. Any insight would be appricated. The BI said I have a solid background and everyone on my cantact list said he was very impressed with the responses he was getting.
    "Arrive safe and leave safe", "The more information we have the better decisions we make"

if you get hired by the city, take it.. get your foot in the door. if you really want state, apply there right now.... it could take a while and you're not guaranteed the job since it's quite competitive. you might have to goto another academy, but it depends on the agency. it depends on what you want to do. i think most state police concentrate on highways.

Comment

I had been a Deputy Sheriff, and later a Municipal Police Officer, before applying to the State. It took me well in excess of a year to be appointed. I would second the advice you recieved concerning taking the city job if it's offered. Here's the deal. The hiring process for most, if not all State Police agencies is usually very lengthy. It will involve most, if not all of the processes you've gone/or are going through now, but will all be repeated. By accepting employment with the city department you'll be getting your foot in the door, so to speak. Be prepared though, to attend another full academy if selected by a State Police agency, with a possible exception. Alabama DPS recently implemented a policy of actively recruiting experienced county and city Officers. These Officers attend a 14 week, as opposed to a 26 week Academy. Bottom line. Accept the city police position if offered. Good luck.

Comment

Absolutely take the city job if it is offered. If the Connecticut State Police offers you a job later on, jump on it. I was a city officer before I was hired by the state. Being a city officer is a more difficult job; being a trooper is a more rewarding job. You don't have to put up with all the BS (barking dogs, neighbor disputes). The academy for the SP (including Connecticut) will be far more challenging than any city PD academy. The pride you will feel after earning the title of "Trooper" will last the rest of your life (don't worry about the naysayers; they are just jealous they couldn't hack it)

I tried to put a smiley at the end of this post but it didn't work, so take the last part of my post in the spirit it was intended.
        Last edited by MO Trooper; 04-20-2007, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Since most are encouraged to apply to a bunch of departments in order to better the odds of getting picked up somewhere, I'm wondering what happens since departments all have varying process lengths. What if you get offered a job with one, but haven't heard back from any of the others...including let's say, your "top choice?" I guess you probably have to decide pretty quickly once an offer is made?

Comment

sorry forgot about the rule!!!
            Last edited by national; 04-20-2007, 09:39 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6206 users online. 349 members and 5857 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X