300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Question

I am planning on purchasing a hand gun soon b/c I have been told by several officers that I live in a very bad area and the shopping center next to my house has been robbed 3 times. A pizza man was also robbed at gun point. I would feel much safer if I had one in the house (not to carry). I am planning on getting the CWP but was wondering, would it look better to a department that I am applying with if I got formal training with the gun or would it be better to just have the permit with no training on how to shoot it?
    Go ahead run from a police officer you will have plenty of rest in prison!!!

In all honesty you don't need a CCW permit if you just want to have a gun at home. You have a right to possess a firearm and you only need a CCW if you plan to carry it concealed outside your home. I would suggest it's a bad idea to have a CCW permit as a police candidate. It makes background investigator wonder whether you're a police wannabe rather than having a legit reason to possess a gun in public.
    Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
    http://www.policebackground.net
    Facebook page: The Police Applicant Group (North America)

Comment

Proof of training is required to obtain a CWP in VA.

Originally posted by LA_Backgrounds
      In all honesty you don't need a CCW permit if you just want to have a gun at home. You have a right to possess a firearm and you only need a CCW if you plan to carry it concealed outside your home. I would suggest it's a bad idea to have a CCW permit as a police candidate. It makes background investigator wonder whether you're a police wannabe rather than having a legit reason to possess a gun in public.
      A 'legit reason'? It's a free country - and self defense is about as legit as it gets.

For what it's worth, there was no mention of my CCW when I was hired.
      Last edited by JLee; 04-18-2007, 09:46 PM.
      summer - winter - work

Comment

Ok, so it wont look bad that I have a gun for home safety then?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by JLee
          A 'legit reason'? It's a free country - and self defense is about as legit as it gets.
          The question here isn't whether he has a "right" to carry a firearm in public. In fact, it's not a right to carry in public, it's a priviledge granted by each jurisdiction. So, no, unless he has a legit reason to have a CCW permit, self-defense or any other reason that his particular jurisdiction doesn't buy off on, will not be good enough to obtain a CCW anywhere in the country.

In answer to the question at hand: As a police candidate it would be fine if you own firearms for whatever reason since it is your right as a US citizen. No BI will frown on that. As far as your BG investigation goes, if you have a CCW you'll be questioned as to the reason you felt the need to obtain one.

Originally posted by JLee
          For what it's worth, there was no mention of my CCW when I was hired.
          There is a question on the LAPD application as to whether a candidate has ever applied for or was ever granted a CCW permit.
          Last edited by LA_Backgrounds; 04-18-2007, 10:00 PM.

Comment

What would be an acceptable reason to have a CCW?

I am sure that I will never carry the gun outside of my home, however I would imagine that being trained on how to effectivelly fire the weapon would be a good idea in case I do need to use it in my home for protection. It would really suck to have a gun and miss my target b/c I didnt have proper training. I would also like to go to a shooting range occasionally with my friend (which is a police officer) to practice shooting and I thought it would be better to have the CCW if I had it in the car.

Comment

The question here isn't whether he has a "right" to carry a firearm in public. In fact, it's not a right to carry in public, it's a priviledge granted by each jurisdiction. So, no, unless he has a legit reason to have a CCW permit, self-defense or any other reason that his particular jurisdiction doesn't buy off on, will not be good enough to obtain a CCW anywhere in the country.
              In many states, the 'particular jurisdiction' has no say in the matter - if there is no reasonable reason not to issue a permit, one must be issued. Such is the case in Virginia -- if a permit is not issued within 45 days (without reasonable cause to decline said permit), a 90-day permit must be issued.

In answer to the question at hand: As a police candidate it would be fine if you own firearms for whatever reason since it is your right as a US citizen. No BI will frown on that. As far as your BG investigation goes, if you have a CCW you'll be questioned as to the reason you felt the need to obtain one.

There is a question on the LAPD application as to whether a candidate has ever applied for or was ever granted a CCW permit.
              Maybe it's a Cali thing -- out of three departments that I've submitted applications to, not one asked anything about CCW.

Originally posted by Recon
              What would be an acceptable reason to have a CCW?

I am sure that I will never carry the gun outside of my home, however I would imagine that being trained on how to effectivelly fire the weapon would be a good idea in case I do need to use it in my home for protection. It would really suck to have a gun and miss my target b/c I didnt have proper training. I would also like to go to a shooting range occasionally with my friend (which is a police officer) to practice shooting and I thought it would be better to have the CCW if I had it in the car.

http://www.packing.org/state/virginia/#statecar_law
              Based on the statute and decisions rendered by the Supreme Court, a weapon is considered to be concealed at anytime it is placed in a location as to be within reach of the person, without the person being required to make an overt act to retrieve such weapon, when such weapon is hidden from common observation. Placing a weapon under the seat, on the seat hidden from common observation, or at any location from which the weapon can readily be retrieved is considered to be concealed. A person carrying a weapon in the glove compartment of an automobile, if the person does not have a permit or otherwise fall within any statutory exemption, is a violation of §18.2-308(A),unless some particular fact or circumstance renders the weapon inaccessible.
              And training is definitely a good thing! Take what you can.
              Last edited by JLee; 04-18-2007, 10:11 PM.
              summer - winter - work

Comment

California may be unique in that you can only get a CCW from a city or county only. Otherwise you can't carry concealed anywhere in the state. In fact, all LAPD active and retired officer's ID cards are marked "CCW Approved" on the face or we can't carry! You also have to pass a background investigation for the CCW from the jurisdiction you apply with.

California is pretty strict when it comes to getting a CCW for any reason. I have a retired LAPD friend who was denied a CCW from the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department because she didn't meet the criteria for carrying concealed for business purposes. LAPD never grants CCW's and LA County SD rarely grants them.

We're a little difficult to deal with out here lol.

Recon - JLee is right on with regard to training. As a background investigator I would think any department would look at firearms training as a plus and very mature way of handling the responsibility of owning a gun.

Comment

California may be unique in that you can only get a CCW from a city or county only. Otherwise you can't carry concealed anywhere in the state. In fact, all LAPD active and retired officer's ID cards are marked "CCW Approved" on the face or we can't carry! You also have to pass a background investigation for the CCW from the jurisdiction you apply with.

California is pretty strict when it comes to getting a CCW for any reason. I have a retired LAPD friend who was denied a CCW from the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department because she didn't meet the criteria for carrying concealed for business purposes. LAPD never grants CCW's and LA County SD rarely grants them.

We're a little difficult to deal with out here lol.

Recon - JLee is right on with regard to training. As a background investigator I would think any department would look at firearms training as a plus and very mature way of handling the responsibility of owning a gun.
                  This is all correct....Im in Florida and it was very easy for me to obtain my CCW permit...In fact IMHO way to easy....When I applied to the department I am currently going through the process with...one of the questions on the PHQ asked if I had a CCW permit and if so what the reason was that I obtained it....I told the truth and gave my reason and when I went in for the oral board they asked me again why I had the permit...my BI said that it shows a certain level of responsibility when you are legally aloud to carry almost anywhere and you have not had any problems with it....they took it as a plus...but I would imagine that is dependant on the individual circumstance...Some departments might not look at it the same way...

Comment

At the end of all the advice, all good by the way, you're subject to Virginia Law regarding CCW. I agree fully with LA Backgrounds regarding having a CCW permit,and being a law enforcement agency applicant.

In Alabama, you are not required to have a Pistol License in your "Fixed abode, or place of business". Pistol licenses are issued by the Sheriff of your home county, are good for one year, and valid anywhere in the State of Alabama.

Virginia's law may be similiar, but since you are a resident of that state, it's firearms laws will apply.

Comment

Thank you all very much for your replies. I am pretty certain that I will be getting the permit and proper training with the weapon even though I will not be carrying it outside of my residence.

Thanks

Comment

Don't know about Cali, but here in Virginia, open carry is a right...you only need a CCW to carry CONCEALED. I know when I lived in NH, I also carried in the open, until I got around to getting my CCW. And while some jurisdictions in other states may infringe on the right to carry (open or concealed), the 2nd does gurantee the right to BEAR arms, and the Virginia Assembly has passed a law that prohibits towns/cities/counties from enacting any sort of gun control within their jurisdiction (certain workforce related situations aside).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4284 users online. 218 members and 4066 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X