300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embarrassing medical issue, help!

If you get grossed out easaly, shy away.

I’ve made it past the first stage of the application process for my local department, however I have a full medical coming up. The police force has been my dream since I was a kid however I have suffered from Bladder incotninence after a car accident I had in 2013. I am worried and concerned this will rule me out?

It................................. DEPENDS.....................
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Unless it physically prevents you from doing the job, you should be alright. I'm assuming you can manage it with adult diapers or another solution?

As for the embarrassment factor, not much help to be had there. If/when your coworkers find out, nothing is sacred in this field.

Good luck!

Comment

If you can’t work more than 2 hours without having to go to the bathroom, how are you going to be able to function?
        its not uncommon to go 8 hrs without a break.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
          If you can’t work more than 2 hours without having to go to the bathroom, how are you going to be able to function?
          its not uncommon to go 8 hrs without a break.
          Valid point.

OP, what steps do you take at present to control this?

Comment

Originally posted by NW121 View Post

Valid point.

OP, what steps do you take at present to control this?
            I’m lucky I’m not fully incontinent, and I’m also Female so I use a mix of ladies incotnience underwear (Ironically depends!)! I can feel when I need to go and I can last long past 2 hours, it’s just I leak.

Comment

I stand by my original post. Sounds like you've got a system for taking care of it, it shouldn't be a factor in your hiring from what you've described.

Comment

I agree with NW121, you've got the situation handled. Can you go hours without seeing a restroom? If so I don't see why not. I'm female and while I don't have your condition I feel your pain trying to find a restroom---especially working nights.

I also don't think anyone (co workers) need to know it's your business. They don't need to know about it. ALOT of women 'leak' after they have children. Ok if I send you a PM w/ suggestions? Or you send me a pm.

Afterthought. The Astronauts had to conquer this issue too.
                Last edited by Zeitgeist; 10-07-2018, 10:06 AM.
                Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

I guess it DEPENDS on the department's standards for new officers.

Sorry couldn't resist....

Just keep in mind that THOSE calls tend to come in right when we get the urge to go to the restroom. It never fails!
                  THOSE calls are the ones that may have us directing traffic for hours or guarding a remote crime scene or something. Come up with a contingency plan for a just in case type scenario.

FWIW .... In the army I heard talk about a portable urinal for female soldiers. Looks like a funny looking funnel that you stick in an empty soda bottle.

BTW I wouldn't let word of your problem LEAK to your fellow officers unless you can tolerate an endless FLOW of corny puns and or jokes.

Seriuosly... Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by kangaroo87 View Post
                    I am worried and concerned this will rule me out
                    The medical standards for the agency you're applying to are published somewhere. Track them down, give a copy to your physician, and ask if you meet them. In my jurisdiction incontinence is a cause for rejection.

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post

The medical standards for the agency you're applying to are published somewhere. Track them down, give a copy to your physician, and ask if you meet them. In my jurisdiction incontinence is a cause for rejection.
                      Ugh that’s tough. So they’d give no consideration at all? Mine says it’s on a case by case basis however bowel inontinence is an immediate disqualification.

Comment

Case by case is case by case. You said you're not fully incontinent and can take reasonably accommodating steps to manage the problem. Don't hide it from your examiner if you're required to tell them (being caught in a lie about anything DQ's an applicant).

Like Zeitgeist said above, women often deal with minor to severe issues of bodily control after childbirth. I'm male but I'm married and we've had two kids, I've seen both the effects and the ways my wife handled it.

Look... at it's core, don't over think the issue. Your medical condition is manageable without needing or expecting excessive accommodations from your agency. Be up front about it if you're required to be and keep your private business private if you don't want to deal with the hazing. Personally, I still don't see this as an auto DQ for you.

Comment

You’ll need some privacy, but...

https://www.top5reviewed.com/female-urinals/

https://theaviationist.com/2012/02/13/su27-underwear/

http://www.omnimedicalsys.com/UserManual.pdf
                          (Expensive, but it’s an investment in your career. See a urologist, get an Rx, insurance probably won’t cover it but it would be tax deductible.)

Also, search Amazon for piddle packs(cheap).
                          Last edited by Rockriver; 10-07-2018, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kangaroo87 View Post
                            Ugh that’s tough. So they’d give no consideration at all?
                            Not on that condition, it seems.

Comment

OP, talk to the medical doctor doing the exams. See what they say.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11682 users online. 410 members and 11272 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X