300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stress of an officer

At this point in time I am very excited about a career in law enforcement. I can not imagine doing anything else for the rest of my life. While right now I am full of excitement and ready for adventure, I have heard much about the stresses of the job. What are the most stressful things about police work? What will be the main obstacles I will face fresh out of the academy?

Learning to control your emotions is difficult for many new officers. One, don't take anything personally, that clouds your judgement. Two, remember that you can't fix in five minutes what it took these people years to create. Don't wear your heart on your sleeve, but PLEASE don't go the opposite route either. There is a fine line to balance on in the middle...find it. There will be calls that stay with you even after you go home and that's okay...many Officers believe in not bringing in home with you and I pretty much agree, but sometimes it can be difficult.

Listen to your FTO and please don't get rookie-itis too much. Face it, you have a basic understanding of the law and whatnot, but you really don't know squat...LOL...You are, however, fixin' to get a crash course lesson in reality.

But the most important thing, IMHO is this: Treat people as you would like to be treated and have compassion...but watch your six, too.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Smurfette summed it up well. Respect others and for the most part they will respect you. After awhile you will get into your own style of policing and find ways to deal with your stress. This is a demanding career and it will take a toll on you if you let it. Take things in stride and dont create problems for yourself. Enjoy what you do and laugh a little bit. It is a fun career if you have the right attitude.
      And the road becomes my bride.

Comment

I see alot of **** on the street. But I live in a nice home with a great family. What I have to remember is to hang up my job with my boots at night. My wife has made it very clear that Officer Magicman is not welcome in our home. Now that doesn't mean I can't talk to her about what happened during my shift and things that are bothering me but the officer me and the husband/daddy me are very different people. Stress comes in many forms. There are many situations that arise in my day. things that seem normal elevate to holy (((( in a minute. If I had a nickel for everytime someone called me a N***er, I'd be rich. or how about a Mother f-er. It rolls off of me. When I stress is when I get a 10-3 (officer in trouble) and I know my buddy is 5 minutes away and he needs help. That's when I get in gear. But I've been on calls like that many many times and my buddies are amazing.
        My best advice to you is to stay calm, relax and be who you are- especially at home.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5790 users online. 316 members and 5474 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X