300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dep. Sheriff vs. Cop

I was just curiouse about the differences in being a deputy sheriff and a police officer. I have gained alot of knowledge about what a police officer does and what ot takes to become one. I have also considered looking into being a deputy sheriff after the academy. I know the county that I live in the Deputy Sherrif's do not get paid as much. From what i know i think they have about the same duties as a police officer but cover a much larger area.

Pd = city, and Sheriff = county and unincorporated cities (those cities who aren't big enough to afford their own PD). Typically a Sheriffs department will serve warrants, do courtroom security, jail custody etc as well as patrol.

One of the big differences is that most Sheriffs Departments will make you spend at least some time in the county jail before you are allowed to transfer to patrol. Personally, I think that is a good thing since it gives you experience working with dirtbags in a controlled environment. Gives you a feel for what you'll deal with out on the street.
    I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

I really like the idea of being a deputy sheriff. It seems as if there is a little more freedom in the job. How long have you been a deputy sheriff. Are you glad that you are a DS rather than a PO?

Comment

Just a heads up....unless you are working for Greene County or some of the bigger counties in MO....you are not going to make jack. There are some exceptions.....but that's a good rule to follow.

Yeah....money isn't everything....but you need to survive. I know of counties down there that only pay in in the low to mid 20s.....How in God's name can you live on that....???

Comment

Well I've been a Deputy Sheriff for a year and a half, plus the academy. I like the job and there is alot of room for movement if one thing gets stale. Suits me just fine. I can't really say one is better than the other. Both have their good and bad sides and I think either one is a good choice (Especially if you are just getting into LE...sometimes it's best to take whatever you can get just to put your foot in the door). Out here in Colorado, most of the Departments (Sheriff/PD) pay fairly similar amounts, so really it's a choice of what you want to do and who will hire you. Anyhow, hope this helped.
          I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

biggest difference.
            back-up vs. no backup
            "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

Comment

Originally posted by dogma vs karma
              biggest difference.
              back-up vs. no backup
              Yeap....especially in smaller, rural counties in NW Missouri.....

That's when you get to suck up to the local Troopers and show up at their houses with beer and provisions on mutual days off.....

And yes...I will still give them crap about pouching drunks at bar closing time.... but I do know that they will have my back anytime I call....and I will have theirs when they call........

Comment

as a sheriff would it be hard to find backup when needed? Your right Bearcat357 the pay is very bad! Starting pay is 24 to 25 thousand a year. I dont mind as much about the money because my wife is about to finish nursing school and that will help alot.

Comment

Originally posted by Nixa65714
                  as a sheriff would it be hard to find backup when needed? Your right Bearcat357 the pay is very bad! Starting pay is 24 to 25 thousand a year. I dont mind as much about the money because my wife is about to finish nursing school and that will help alot.
                  Yeah...as you maybe the only idiot out there...so back-up maybe a long ways away......

As stated above, in the smaller counties like that, will work hand-in-hand with the MSHP....and you need to become buddies with them fast....as that's who will be your back-up.

I know when I worked a County....a City unit might pull but it had to be something real serious....

I have had to work DVs, shots fired, man with a gun, etc....all by myself with a Trooper or two hauling *** to come help out.....but that could be 10-15 mins away....

Comment

In the end, Sheriff's Offices are only required to do two things...maintain a jail (or make other arrangements for the incarceration of prisoners within a county) and serve court papers. But, the vast majority of SO's also have normal patrol functions like any other police department.

As for downsides, let's not forget the politics of SO's. Remember, the sheriff is an elected official. That makes him/her a politician as well as a police administrator. SO's can be very political places, with policies dictated by votes rather than solid LE tactics. That's not true of all SO's, of course, but it's also not an uncommon occurance. It also means that your boss (and the way your department runs) can change every few years if a new sheriff is elected.
                    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

In my area, the sheriff's area of work is pretty much like the city, I mean just as much downtown as city has, plus with an additional rural area that exceeds the city and town limits. But if i changed jobs and went with a city or town police on patrol It probabily wouldnt be to much different.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6501 users online. 353 members and 6148 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X