Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Departments that easier to get hired?

changed my mind, no point any more
    Last edited by mapotofu; 10-14-2018, 05:47 PM.

If you're applying for the first time instead of a lateral, you can't afford to be picky. Apply everywhere you can and get on as many lists as possible. Big departments, small departments, everywhere.

Comment

They say Atlanta PD is always hiring and will probably hire most applicants who don't have automatic disqualifcations.
      (that comes from an APD detective who is on this forum)
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Work on your writing skills first before applying anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by NW121 View Post
          If you're applying for the first time instead of a lateral, you can't afford to be picky. Apply everywhere you can and get on as many lists as possible. Big departments, small departments, everywhere.
          thank you for the reply, I have the same thought about the I can't afford to be picky, I will apply every agency that is hiring when the time come.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            They say Atlanta PD is always hiring and will probably hire most applicants who don't have automatic disqualifcations.
            (that comes from an APD detective who is on this forum)

thank you! I'll look into that

Comment

Originally posted by oef_vet View Post
              Work on your writing skills first before applying anywhere.
              thank you, I just started going back to college. I hope that my English skill will good enough for work before graduation.

Comment

• halohomr
                halohomr commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm from CA but I will give you the same advice I give anyone who has a hard time getting hired, or is just looking to enhance their chances. At USC they have a department of public safety. They go through an academy, carry a gun, and are the law enforcement arm at the college. Many people I know don't want to work there because it is not exciting or sexy enough, and the pay is considerably lower then other agencies. What they aren't taking into account is the applicant pool is smaller, and there are perks to working at a university. The cops at USC can attend the university for free. And after a period of time so can your kids. I wish I worked there because my daughter goes there. She's a senior and her 4 years of tuition was over $200K. The public universities have the same deal. Get hired and work there long enough to get your degree. If you still want to go to a different agency you now have at least 4 years of experience, and a college degree.

• RGDS
                RGDS commented
                Editing a comment
                Let’s slow that down.

USC (and Stanford and the other private school PDs in CA) are not like the Public University Cops (UC/CSU). The Private School cops are at best level 1 reserves. They can’t investigate deaths and require an MOU defining the cut off for felony follow up investigations.

The UC/CSU Police are full power police like any city or county.

But if you want to apply to get experience, USC isn’t bad. Stanford pays much more starting out though.

• mapotofu
                mapotofu commented
                Editing a comment
                thank you for the advice but I think I am gonna pass the college cop path.
                I own a small business which is going pretty well now and I am not having kids(DINK), so The pros of being a university cops just doesnt fit my needs that good.
                but still great advive, thanks

Hmmmm.....easiest to get hired?

I get it. I really do. Less stress, less worry, maybe less testing. And you’re a gen-U-Wine OCCIFER!

If you have a GENUINE interest in this historical profession, you owe it to yourself AND the profession to find the best fit for you and the community you want to serve. A soldier defending home fights hardest. If you go somewhere because it was the easiest to get hired, you will not be happy- and the community will have been short changed by an officer who was being selfish.

But okay, I’ll bite....easiest place to get hired? You’ll want an area that doesn’t just have high crime, but rampant violent crime. You’ll want that agency to have a terribly low public safety budget, a very low tax base, low home ownership, and widely publicized infighting and corruption allegations in the media. You’ll also want to be paid VERY POORLY in comparison to others in the very same region.

You will be hired into this agency where most anyone who could lateral away will do so. And the agency may have to dip pretty deep into the risk bucket to find candidates. They may have to make major concessions on the moral character and decision making ability of applicants, just to staff vacancies. Hire today, fire tomorrow.

Supervisors and managers will call these risky cops “shady” or “problem employees.” YOU will call them “PARTNER.”

If it’s hard to get hired at an agency, maybe in part at least it’s becuase they have a solid reputation? Maybe other people want in also, and it increases the competition pool?

So get in there and show that you’ve prepared more than everyone else! This isn’t a Joe Job. Don’t be an average Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Shaw View Post
                But okay, I’ll bite....easiest place to get hired? You’ll want an area that doesn’t just have high crime, but rampant violent crime. You’ll want that agency to have a terribly low public safety budget, a very low tax base, low home ownership, and widely publicized infighting and corruption allegations in the media. You’ll also want to be paid VERY POORLY in comparison to others in the very same region.

You will be hired into this agency where most anyone who could lateral away will do so. And the agency may have to dip pretty deep into the risk bucket to find candidates. They may have to make major concessions on the moral character and decision making ability of applicants, just to staff vacancies. Hire today, fire tomorrow.
                There's a postage stamp size city tucked inside the large urban area near me that fits this bill. The city is a shell of its former self, block after block of empty storefronts, empty hospitals, empty schools, empty libraries, on and on, all torched or vandalized beyond repair. Wild-haired addicts and feral packs of pit bulls roam the streets in front of abandoned homes where families once lived. It's pure ghetto dystopia.

The city has 12,000 residents (supposedly) and a PD with 20 officers. The city went bankrupt a few years ago and has been in and out of state receivership since. As a result of this, cop pay is the worst in the state- $13 an hour, no benefits, no pension, no paid holidays, etc. A short while ago, a local tv station did an expose on the employee roster- it was a Rogues Gallery of the fallen. Many were high profile from previous news stories, "Officer arrested for drunkenly pulling pistol on man at a bar. Story at 11". The one thing every member had in common: having more baggage than an airport.

Those places do exist. Good luck with that.
                People don't leave bad jobs, they leave bad bosses.

Comment

Hmmmm.....easiest to get hired?

I get it. I really do. Less stress, less worry, maybe less testing. And you’re a gen-U-Wine OCCIFER!

If you have a GENUINE interest in this historical profession, you owe it to yourself AND the profession to find the best fit for you and the community you want to serve. A soldier defending home fights hardest. If you go somewhere because it was the easiest to get hired, you will not be happy- and the community will have been short changed by an officer who was being selfish.

Supervisors and managers will call these risky cops “shady” or “problem employees.” YOU will call them “PARTNER.”

If it’s hard to get hired at an agency, maybe in part at least it’s becuase they have a solid reputation? Maybe other people want in also, and it increases the competition pool?

So get in there and show that you’ve prepared more than everyone else! This isn’t a Joe Job. Don’t be an average Joe.

This is why I love this forum so much, you guys are swesome.
                  I know my original post sounds like that I just want to get hired without putting any effort into it.
                  but please do trust me on this one, I am absolutely not half-assing about this career.
                  I started college again, I am taking 5 class even though that I work 60 hours a week.
                  I learn English whenever I got time.I cut back my carb intake and going to the gym twice a week.
                  I am polishing myself with the roughest sand paper.
                  However I am not really confident about that I will get hired easily.
                  I am a immigrant who came to the states for only six years. Learning English as third language in one's late 30s is really pain in the ***.
                  I am still struggling make myself understood due to my heavy accent.
                  this is why I was thinking about find a "easier" agency.
                  your post really gave me a different perspective to look at it.
                  thank you for the inspire words! I will work harder on myself than I already am and show them that I am not an average joe.

best wishes for you and your family, be safe out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

There's a postage stamp size city tucked inside the large urban area near me that fits this bill. The city is a shell of its former self, block after block of empty storefronts, empty hospitals, empty schools, empty libraries, on and on, all torched or vandalized beyond repair. Wild-haired addicts and feral packs of pit bulls roam the streets in front of abandoned homes where families once lived. It's pure ghetto dystopia.

The city has 12,000 residents (supposedly) and a PD with 20 officers. The city went bankrupt a few years ago and has been in and out of state receivership since. As a result of this, cop pay is the worst in the state- $13 an hour, no benefits, no pension, no paid holidays, etc. A short while ago, a local tv station did an expose on the employee roster- it was a Rogues Gallery of the fallen. Many were high profile from previous news stories, "Officer arrested for drunkenly pulling pistol on man at a bar. Story at 11". The one thing every member had in common: having more baggage than an airport.

Those places do exist. Good luck with that.
                    wow! it seems a really scary place to work and live.
                    thank you for the reply. I'll peel my eyes wide open when I apply my first job.

Comment

Keep your head up, MAPO. (I’m actually a fan of the dish “Mapotofu”by the way)

Great to hear you’re not looking for the easy ride, just explaining that you’ll have challenges. That helps.

Communication skill and frankly, a strong command of English is hugely important for policing in America. Yes it is super challenging for immigrants to enter an already highly challenging and stressful career. But frankly, WE need people just like you to be cops! Because you will bring tools to the table that I and others like me will just not have. You bring a native language, culture, work drive, and an understanding that you have to work harder than the candidate next to you just to get to the basic test! I get it, Here’s an example of why you should keep pushing forward..

One of my my dearest friends recently promoted to patrol sergeant. He happens to be one of my dearest friends because of his character, loyalty, and AMERICAN PATRIOTISM. And the thing is, he not only wasn’t born in America, he ummmmm “came to this country by alternate means.”

So good or bad, this young immigrant who didn’t speak English came to California with the dream of becoming a peace officer. He started off washing dishes, while going to school to study for citizenship. He attained citizenship and a BA Degree. He got hired at a local jail as a CO, still wanting to be a patrol cop.

And today, he is a fully sworn supervisor of patrol cops. It’s obvious when you talk to him that English is his second language, but he helps overcome his accent by always enunciating his words to help others understand him. There are tiny things people notice...like he can’t hang and yab about 80s pop culture, he has a hard time understanding PUN humor, and he doesn’t know the Kardashians....See? It just don’t matter that much! He is an example of a fellow who chased his dreams and worked 3 times harder than the others around him and even volunteers to teach others as a means of challenging himself to grow and help others out.

He did not let language, culture, or first impressions stop him. And he is a proudly serving patriotic American peace officer that I am blessed to say is a dear friend.

Keep at it. We need good people from all walks of life. Don’t just READ the stories of success.

BE the story.

Rick

Comment

Keep your head up, MAPO. (I’m actually a fan of the dish “Mapotofu”by the way)

Great to hear you’re not looking for the easy ride, just explaining that you’ll have challenges. That helps.

Communication skill and frankly, a strong command of English is hugely important for policing in America. Yes it is super challenging for immigrants to enter an already highly challenging and stressful career. But frankly, WE need people just like you to be cops! Because you will bring tools to the table that I and others like me will just not have. You bring a native language, culture, work drive, and an understanding that you have to work harder than the candidate next to you just to get to the basic test! I get it, Here’s an example of why you should keep pushing forward..

One of my my dearest friends recently promoted to patrol sergeant. He happens to be one of my dearest friends because of his character, loyalty, and AMERICAN PATRIOTISM. And the thing is, he not only wasn’t born in America, he ummmmm “came to this country by alternate means.”

So good or bad, this young immigrant who didn’t speak English came to California with the dream of becoming a peace officer. He started off washing dishes, while going to school to study for citizenship. He attained citizenship and a BA Degree. He got hired at a local jail as a CO, still wanting to be a patrol cop.

And today, he is a fully sworn supervisor of patrol cops. It’s obvious when you talk to him that English is his second language, but he helps overcome his accent by always enunciating his words to help others understand him. There are tiny things people notice...like he can’t hang and yab about 80s pop culture, he has a hard time understanding PUN humor, and he doesn’t know the Kardashians....See? It just don’t matter that much! He is an example of a fellow who chased his dreams and worked 3 times harder than the others around him and even volunteers to teach others as a means of challenging himself to grow and help others out.

He did not let language, culture, or first impressions stop him. And he is a proudly serving patriotic American peace officer that I am blessed to say is a dear friend.

Keep at it. We need good people from all walks of life. Don’t just READ the stories of success.

BE the story.

Rick
                        If he can do it, I can do it too.

I'll keep you guys posted until I got hired.

Thank you!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12052 users online. 430 members and 11622 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X