300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former cop trying to go to PA state police

I appreciate in advance anyone on the job can give me some insight. I have some questions about getting into the PA state police. First off I recently resigned from the NYPD after 2 years with them. I wasnt forced to resign, I did it on my own. While on the job I had a few commendations and a stellar record and repor with my bosses. I was active and the whole nine yards yada yada... We all know NY is quite an expensive state, so while there I got into some financial issues causing my current less then perfect credit, which I am in the process of repairing. I move back to philadelphia where I am from and am now trying to get on with the PA state police (and the philadelphia police department) My question to any pa troopers or anyone offereing insight is this... will my bad credit dq me...

Good things-- 2 yrs exp. with nypd, excellent activity. Bachelors degree Temple University Criminal Justice, minor spanish. Certified by the state of pa as EMT. Clean record, no drugs and working on fluency in spanish which i hope to achieve in a short period of time.

Bad things-- Bad credit, 2 seatbelt tickets from 6 and 4 years ago.

WIll the good outweigh the bad?

Tickets didnt hurt with NYPD but then there now hiring perps, i know its harder in pa

Thanks guys...

Here is what their website says about disqualifications:

http://www.psp.state.pa.us/bhr/cwp/view.asp?a=435&q=153219&PM=1&bhrNav=|6957|6959|

Applicants for the position of Pennsylvania State Police Cadet will be automatically disqualified if any of the disqualification factors, as listed below, are evident:

1. Failure to meet the general requirements for the position as follows:

AGE REQUIREMENT - Applicants must be at least 20 years of age on or before the date the application is completed. Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and cannot have reached their 40th birthday prior to or on the date of appointment as a State Police Cadet.

RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT - Applicants must be a resident of Pennsylvania at the time of appointment. Applicants must also possess a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license upon appointment as a State Police Cadet.

EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENT - Applicants must possess a high school diploma or a G.E.D. Certificate plus an Associate’s Degree or 60 semester credit hours in an accredited institution of higher education at the time of application. Only one waiver per candidate, as follows, is allowed:

* 60 semester credit hours waived for those applicants with two full years as a full-time police officer as certified by the Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission (MPOETC).

* 30 semester credit hours waived for those applicants with two full years of any law enforcement experience that encompasses the powers of arrest under state or federal law, e.g., Liquor Enforcement Officer, Board of Probation and Parole, Fish and Game Commission Officers. Waiver is also granted to applicants with two full years of experience as a Corrections Officer. Determination of relevant law enforcement experience to be made by the Pennsylvania State Police on a case-by-case basis.

* 30 semester credit hours waived for those applicants with at least two years of full active military duty with an Honorable Discharge or have completed Officer Candidate School and have no term of obligation.

* 15 semester credit hours waived for those applicants who have successfully completed Act 120 training, as certified by the Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission (MPOETC).

2. Criminal conviction of Misdemeanor-2 or higher.

3. Criminal behavior, regardless if arrested or detected, for admissions by the applicant that would be graded as a Felony.

4. Criminal behavior, regardless if arrested or detected, for admissions by the applicant that would be graded as a Misdemeanor-1 within the past 10 years from date of application.

5. Any section listed in the Uniform Firearms Act, Brady Law and any other federal law and amendments prohibiting possession of a firearm.

6. Manufacturing of controlled substances.

7. Sale or delivery of controlled substances for any type of gain or profit.

8. Drug Admissions (Usage prior to the age of 18 does not automatically disqualify a candidate.):

a. Usage of marijuana: No usage within the three years prior to filing an application. No more than 25 times between the ages of 18 and 25. Zero tolerance for usage after the age of 25.

b. Usage of Schedule I, II, III drugs, excluding marijuana, non-prescribed Schedule II drugs and steroids as listed in the Controlled Substances, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act (Act 64): No usage within the five years prior to filing an application. Zero tolerance for usage after the age of 25.

c. Usage of heroin, methamphetamine, LSD: Zero tolerance.

d. Abuse of medicinal prescription for the sole purpose of recreational use: Zero tolerance.

e. Injected drug use of any type: Zero tolerance.

f. Usage of steroids (pill form): No usage within the three years prior to filing an application.

9. Driving Under the Influence charge (DUI) one year prior to filing an application; two DUI charges within 10 years prior to filing an application; or any DUI charge after filing an application.

10. Dishonorable discharge from the Military.

11. Law Enforcement: Criminal activity, regardless of grading, while in a law enforcement position.

12. Intentional falsification or omission of information on the Formal Application for Employment and/or the Polygraph Screening Booklet.

NOTE: The requirements listed above are subject to change at any time. You should review this site periodically. Applicants called to processing will be considered under the requirements in place at the time of processing.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

You have a good background from what I read about you. You will get into the PA State.

Comment

I can see how you could get into debt working for NYPD. I processed with them and was offered a position which I declined right after graduating college 8 years ago. After doing my research I just didn't see myself being able to live comfortably in that metro area on NYPD's starting salary. I stayed in Upstate NY area and am still trying to get hired although I do have a nice paying Loss Prevention job.

Good luck in PA!

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP
          Here is what their website says about disqualifications:

3. Criminal behavior, regardless if arrested or detected, for admissions by the applicant that would be graded as a Felony.

a. Usage of marijuana: No usage within the three years prior to filing an application. No more than 25 times between the ages of 18 and 25. Zero tolerance for usage after the age of 25.
          Just curious, does PA have different drug laws than other states? I just finished BI in CA and the possesion of MJ (required for its useage) is a felony. How can PA allow MJ use but autoDQ for felonies whether detected or not?

Comment

The bad credit wouldn't neccessarily disqualify you from the Philadelphia police department, but they will address it with you. For simply getting in over your head and behind on bills, that wouldn't be a problem, especially since you are repairing it.
            The tickets won't mean a thing.
            Good luck in either department. I can tell you, we will be hiring ALOT in the next 2 years. We are at all time low levels as it is.
            "The streets of Philadelphia are safe...it's the people that make them unsafe"---Frank Rizzo
            http://hometown.aol.com/ppd9886/PhillyCopSpot.html

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5677 users online. 304 members and 5373 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X