300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting in shape

Hey guys - have been really enjoying reading through and asking a couple questions so far; my most recent question is about physical fitness. As stated in previous posts I am 28 and am rather small at 5'9" 125-130 (I was 104 in February of this year until i started working out at home, I will be getting a gym membership to add weight training in there as well.) If it helps, I'm in Central FL. I currently run 1.5miles in about 17 minutes, the 300m spring, I get to around 150m in 33seconds and poop out. I can do 20 pushups in 1 minute and only about 18 sit ups in a minute and cant do more than 23 situps straight before having to stop. Vertical jump requirment of 14" I can do, easily. (I haven't been physically active since childhood and if it wasn't for my super fast metabolism i'd probably be near the 300lb mark with how sedentary i've been.)

I would prefer to be able to pass the basic pre-employment physical test for florida in octoberish range, does anyone have a routine they could share that might help me push my limits and expand my current abilities to be able to not just pass the physical requirments but exceed the basic expectations. Also, size wise - To small to be a LEO, I would love to be in the 140-150 range but even getting up to 125-130 for me seems like a huge feat since i've always been super small my whole life.

Thanks.

As silly as it sounds, to be able to do more pushups, do more pushups. There used to be a workout online somewhere called 100pushups.com or something similar, also one called 100 situps. It has a 6-week training plan to increase those numbers. I used it a few years ago and it worked for me.

To get better at the 1.5 mile run I recommend interval training. A young slender guy like you should be in the 10-11 minute range for that run. Good luck.

Comment

• Robert90
      Robert90 commented
      Editing a comment
      will check those out; thanks. and re the running, that's where I want to be at, my lack of cardio and leg exercise definitely has affected that, no running in 10+ years and trying to run sucks lol

When I was in the Army....
    For pushups I would concentrate more on the form during regular PT sessions. If they weren't done correctly they wouldn't count them for the PT test.

I would do them SLOWLY and make sure my back was completely straight, I went all the way down without touching the floor and ALL the way up locking my elbows. When it came time for the PT test I could knock out about 40+ in a minute. I had to do at least 42 in two minutes. The most I ever did was 67 pushups.

For sit ups I used the same concept.

For the two mile run I was just happy to pass it. The only advise I can give for the run is to NEVER walk during the training or testing. Even at a slow jog your building up your endurance and speed. Also pace your self! On the civilian side I've seen countless cadets or applicants start off like a bat out hell only to walk three quarters of the run and fail. Where as if you pace yourself, you can go full throttle at the end (if you can) and make up some time.

I never was a high PT scorer and was happy just to pass. But the above seemed to help me get through it. BTW I was a skinny SOB back then.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
    President Ronald Reagan

All we ask is to be let alone.
    President Jefferson Davis

Comment

• Robert90
      Robert90 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks I'll give that a shot especially at running; and I'll admit I have a tendency to do exactly what you said, run like a bat outta hell in beginning and completely crap out and end up having to walk.

Figure out what your basal metabolic rate is and make sure you eat an appropriate amount of food, especially quality meats, fruits, and vegetables, to gain 1-2 pounds per week. I suggest using an app like MyFitnessPal or Samsung Health.
    You might also check with your doctor and see if you have low testosterone or a thyroid issue that can be corrected.
    To increase your speed on the 1.5 mile you should be running a longer distance rather than trying to run 1.5 miles faster. Same with the 300m, try a 750m dash 4 miles run as fast as you can but pace yourself so you are at the same speed the whole time.

Comment

Are you eating enough? A high metabolism along with working out will require a good intake. Don’t expect to pack on huge mass some body types can’t. You know any people in the training field ask some suggestions.
      Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Round is a shape....
        Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

17 minute mile and a half at your age and weight? I’m 43 years old 275 lbs and can walk the mile and a half in under 16 minutes. I’m freaking fat now. I ran the mile and a half the other day on the treadmill at 12:56 and I rarely run. What is your medical condition? When I was a recruit, I ran the mile and a half in 9 minutes 31 seconds.

Comment

Love the honesty; thanks lol.

my condition is that I’ve never been active. I have always worked sales and desk jobs until recently the last time i ran was in the 9th grade at age 14, I’m now 28 so 14 years without even trying to run once. Even though I’m small I was out of shape horridly (getting much better though). I’ve had multiple medical exams and no medical conditions (with my size; every time I go to doctor they always want to check my thyroid, testosterone and other things medical lol) my bill of health is good other than I’m small and out of shape (for now)

Comment

• westside popo
              westside popo commented
              Editing a comment
              Enough forum surfing. Now drop and give me 25, three count push ups!

• Lawdog138
              Lawdog138 commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, the only way to get good at running is to run. You may surprise yourself.

• J2H
              J2H commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm happy slow jogging my mile and half (have 17:45 to do it, I get in about 16:25)

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11059 users online. 415 members and 10644 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X