300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1DVSBSTD
    started a topic DQ for accidental drug use in Florida?

DQ for accidental drug use in Florida?

deleted, no point
    Last edited by 1DVSBSTD; 09-24-2018, 05:08 PM.

• Rick Shaw
    replied
    Having read your explanation....here is what comes to mind.

Say I’m your BI and we get to the point where you’re going to answer my question about drug use. Say we are both standing up in a room when you start explaining.

Now I am all about little details and little pieces of a puzzle fitting together to build a complete picture. I am VERY patient that way.

I could picture that while you’re explaining the twists and turns and how fors, I will take a seat becuase I got tired of standing, I could see wondering why your explanation is so convoluted and repetitive. And I could see wondering what other areas along with poor decision making may be a concern for the employing agency.

Background investigators have a TON of say in the hiring process, as it should be. Cops in general are incredible seekers of truth, and BIs learn to go beyond that ability.

As YOU present it, the MANNER in which you’re explaining yourself tends to make even the most patient and free believing copper feel like the potential risk level you would bring might not be worth giving you a try, becuase the stakes involved in this profession are just too high.

I feel you’re best bet is “time and distance.” You may choose to reinvent yourself and maybe then you’ll begin to see what these veteran officers have been trying to tell you. It just plain sounds fishy, and there are lots of other applicants who don’t bring the same dialogue to the table.

Maybe unplug and work on you. Be able to say a year or so later- Here is what I’ve done to work on myself and be a better candidate.....or.....continue with what appears to be risk taking impulsive behavior with justification along the way.

The good news is you get to decide!

Rick

Leave a comment:

• Lawdog138
    replied
    Your whole thing sounds strange to me. You would have just been better off saying you tried pot a couple times and that’s that. I never heard of anyone accidentally taking drugs except for this one cop. He busted a guy in possession of sheets of acid. The cop was counting them not wearing gloves. He was licking his fingers to create traction to peel apart the sheets. Needless to say, he had an interesting next 12 or so hours.

Leave a comment:

• eagleI
    replied
    I would be more concerned about the alcohol use and bars. Seems to be the common thread. Stop vaping and quit drinking.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post
    I would definitely have concerns about someone who repeatedly "accidentally" takes drugs. Even giving you the benefit of the doubt, it's just a little f-ing weird. I mean like you hang out with some weird people to keep accidentally drugging yourself. Or you have some very bad luck. I'm picturing you as a cop field testing some cocaine and all of the sudden a breeze picks up and blows it straight up your nose. While humorous, that scenario is not too far off from what you described already happening to you twice.
    In my college days, I smoked weed numerous times on purpose, but not once did it happen by accident. Just sounds kinda strange. It would honestly sound better if you had tried pot twice on purpose. But it is what it is. Best of luck.
    YEP

ONE "accidental" experience is plausible. TWO is not even in the realm of possibility

Secondly I agree with not.in.my.town

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

I think the department you applied to gave you the best advice: Apply again in a few years.

"Accidental" or not, the drug use was too recent -- the last one only a few months ago.

It sounds to me like you may have had some trouble adjusting to civilian life...and your personal life is still in turmoil due to the divorce and everything that comes with that. You say you're not into drugs...but it seems that you might be "self medicating". You admittedly vape daily. Yes, it's legal, but it's still a bad habit that might make working 12-hour or even 8-hour shifts a challenge. There's nothing more unprofessional-looking than a uniformed cop sneaking a couple of drags behind some dumpster. I also assume that you may be indulging in liquor a bit more than you should since booze was involved in both incidents that you described. Clearly, it effects your judgment. Alcohol is one of those things that tend to get even seasoned cops into trouble...so we're reluctant to hire someone who is already showing troublesome traits.

Overall, my assessment of you as a candidate would be that AT THIS TIME you're too much of a liability. It's not so much the drug use itself. Rather, you have too much going on in your personal life with the divorce, new relationships, new acquaintances, etc. Your military service is a big plus, but I need to see that you can hack it in the civilian world without "accidentally" stumbling from one screwed up situation to the next. Right now I wouldn't trust you to be able to focus on the job, and I'd rather hire someone who "has their sh*t together", so to speak. So my advice to you is: Get your sh*t together! THEN apply.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• HI629
    replied
    You’re done. To learn how to put better spin on your BS and you MAY find an agency that will give you a shot. In the meantime, stop violating local drug laws.

Leave a comment:

• westside popo
    replied
    Either the OP is a lier or is incapable of making competent decisions and has poor judgement.

If the hiring decisions were mine, I would pass on him or her.

Leave a comment:

• CJ Prof
    replied
    Holy crap... just apply to other agencies and find out for yourself. Are you really going to walk away from your "dream" job if a few strangers on the internet tell you to? You seem pretty weird to me, but I know a ton of weird cops with even stranger stories in their backgrounds.

Leave a comment:

• not.in.MY.town
    replied
    Originally posted by 1DVSBSTD View Post
    Hi, I spent the majority of my adult life in the Army, never been around or used drugs ever in my life, I separated from the Army (honorable) two years ago due to my Ex-wife wanting me to get out.

I have been working on becoming an officer in Florida because it was my dream since long ago, I've been working out at the gym everyday since I separated while going to school. Improved the strength of my leg after I required surgery when I separated ,and I passed the CJBAT (perfect score) and the PAT (scored higher than all other test takers).

When my ex-wife first hit me with the divorce, her brother kept trying to become close to me. One day after a few drinks he wanted me to vape his e-cig. I vape daily and didn't think anything bad of it. Turns out the vape had THC in it. I vaped it twice and realized it didn't taste right because it gave me cottonmouth, he then told me it had THC, he knew I had been working towards becoming an officer and question whether it was to sabotage me. This was in December.

Fast forward to June, Divorced and found a new girlfriend with friends that have many professional careers. I attend one of her friend's birthday to meet them and have a few drinks. I start noticing many of the friends smoking marijuana, I keep to myself since that something I have never been interested in nor want to be since I want to be a LEO. I stick to just drinking some whiskey. I head to the kitchen a see a very nice bottle of whiskey and pour myself a double. I proceed to take a sip of it to taste it, tasted disgusting and greasy. I ask about it and find out it is marijuana infused alcohol. I lose it, run to the restroom and try to induce vomiting. I continue till I felt I pretty much emptied my stomach of everything I had eaten recently.

My question, which I pretty much know the answer since my application was pretty much trashed by one department because they are "prestigious" and told me to apply again in 3 years, should I still try to become a law enforcement officer right now? I know the two incidences are no one else's fault but my own due to my inexperience around drugs and my trusting of people. Is there anything I can do to get in now? I was completely honest on my application and put the two drug incidences on there. Now another department has positions available and wonder if anyone here has any helpful advice for me.
    I think the department you applied to gave you the best advice: Apply again in a few years.

"Accidental" or not, the drug use was too recent -- the last one only a few months ago.

It sounds to me like you may have had some trouble adjusting to civilian life...and your personal life is still in turmoil due to the divorce and everything that comes with that. You say you're not into drugs...but it seems that you might be "self medicating". You admittedly vape daily. Yes, it's legal, but it's still a bad habit that might make working 12-hour or even 8-hour shifts a challenge. There's nothing more unprofessional-looking than a uniformed cop sneaking a couple of drags behind some dumpster. I also assume that you may be indulging in liquor a bit more than you should since booze was involved in both incidents that you described. Clearly, it effects your judgment. Alcohol is one of those things that tend to get even seasoned cops into trouble...so we're reluctant to hire someone who is already showing troublesome traits.

Overall, my assessment of you as a candidate would be that AT THIS TIME you're too much of a liability. It's not so much the drug use itself. Rather, you have too much going on in your personal life with the divorce, new relationships, new acquaintances, etc. Your military service is a big plus, but I need to see that you can hack it in the civilian world without "accidentally" stumbling from one screwed up situation to the next. Right now I wouldn't trust you to be able to focus on the job, and I'd rather hire someone who "has their sh*t together", so to speak. So my advice to you is: Get your sh*t together! THEN apply.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• J2H
    replied
    Most of us are veteran cops, so we tend to not sugar coat or take the side of the OP... we normally assume the worst and give out that info, better to crush dreams and hopes now then later. The way you are speaking (posting), you are making it sound like you want to have plausible deniability and seem like you are playing the victim...

Leave a comment:

• 1DVSBSTD
    commented on 's reply
    I get that, but just humor me, assume I am telling the truth, I know how jacked up my situation is, I have no experience with drugs so both situations really caught me off guard. I spent my childhood sheltered and my adulthood in the army, I am fully aware of how in depth a BI is, but I feel as me telling the truth they would see that in the polygraph, I'm just wondering about just getting my foot in the door. If this is hopeless, I have a overseas contractor job offer which pays more, this is just what I've wanted to do for a very long time.

• 1DVSBSTD
    commented on 's reply
    That's why I feel like my situation is kinda screwed for the moment, the first felt like it was to screw with me, the second was a complete messed up situation with people I met for the first time, but trust me, I know how it sounds

• CCCSD
    replied
    You forget, we have SEEN and HEARD it all. You are just another in a long line of job seekers who are trying to wriggle out of some dope use. You don’t THINK that we can all read between the lines..?

Security Clearences aren’t anything like a BI.

Leave a comment:

• allen_gamble
    replied
    I would definitely have concerns about someone who repeatedly "accidentally" takes drugs. Even giving you the benefit of the doubt, it's just a little f-ing weird. I mean like you hang out with some weird people to keep accidentally drugging yourself. Or you have some very bad luck. I'm picturing you as a cop field testing some cocaine and all of the sudden a breeze picks up and blows it straight up your nose. While humorous, that scenario is not too far off from what you described already happening to you twice.
    In my college days, I smoked weed numerous times on purpose, but not once did it happen by accident. Just sounds kinda strange. It would honestly sound better if you had tried pot twice on purpose. But it is what it is. Best of luck.

Leave a comment:

• 1DVSBSTD
    commented on 's reply
    Well it would be cleared up in a polygraph whether I'm lying or not. You can't cheat a poly I'm just trying to see what could get me in the door, I was upfront and told them about the incidents and those are my only two incidents, besides that, I have a completely clean record with a security clearance, but seeing how so many people are treated here, I'm not surprised about the treatment.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10954 users online. 462 members and 10492 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X