Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DQ for accidental drug use in Florida?

deleted, no point
    Last edited by 1DVSBSTD; 09-24-2018, 06:08 PM.

First, I'm assuming you are in a state where marijuana is still illegal.

I wouldn't have a problem with the first use, assuming that on the background your BIL confirmed that he put the THC in your vape without your knowledge.

As far as the second incident is concerned, you willingly remained at an event where illegal narcotics were being used, knowing that you wanted to be a cop. That's an auto DQ right there if only for Felony Stupidity.

I understand the difficulties with maintaining a relationship with your girlfriend, but she needs to be understanding as to your career goals why you can't stay. If she can't do that, you need to be creative and find an excuse for you to leave while she stays. Then you need to start thinking about finding a new girlfriend, because catering to her interests and needs will eventually lead to getting you fired as a cop.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• 1DVSBSTD
      1DVSBSTD commented
      Editing a comment
      It wasn't my vape, it was his, after that situation I avoided all contact with him. As far as the other situation, many of the individuals there had medical marijuana cards because they give them out like candy around here.

• 1DVSBSTD
      1DVSBSTD commented
      Editing a comment
      also for the background, would I have to list contact information for my Ex-BIL? I cut all ties, but I list my Ex-wife as a reference, because if anyone wants to hear the worst about me, it would be from her, which literally is nothing because I have never committed any illegal or immoral activity, I don't even have a single ticket.

• 1DVSBSTD
      1DVSBSTD commented
      Editing a comment
      On a separate note about marijuana use in the area, there is a district of the city in where there are many open air bars. At these bars in the times that I have gone, have witnessed hundreds (no exaggeration) of people openly smoking marijuana, it is ridiculously rampant, all while there are officers in the area, the officers only look for drunk drivers and illegal parking and pay no attention to people smoking opening not 20 feet away. It honestly bothers me greatly, being that I grew up in this city and remember when kids could walk home without ever coming across people doing drugs, and now its everywhere. I have asked about this before to some LEO friends that I have, and it seems like the officers in that area simply have no interest whatsoever. Medical marijuana is legal and because of that officers in the area choose not to pay any attention to marijuana user,s regardless whether they have a medical marijuana card or not.

How sadly convenient you have no contact information for your ex BIL

Did you personally check the medical marijuana cards of everyone at the party who was smoking, or wherever else you intentionally remain where people are smoking?

With your attempts at justification and diversion, I see you talking yourself from a temporary DQ to a permanent one. Possibly a career as a Public Defender or a politician is something you might be better suited for.

Comment

• 1DVSBSTD
      1DVSBSTD commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I can get his info by contacting my ex-wife, I did not check for medical marijuana cards, since I have no authority to make such demands, but overheard them speaking about them picking up at a dispensary. I never stated that I stayed at that party, but I did in fact stay, but spent the remainder of the event away from everyone, but yes I did not leave. As far as where I go, I personally avoid all contact, but realistically you do not know the area.

Also, I am in no way trying to make any justification nor diversion, just stating some of the issues I see in the area.

Also, I spent a bit of time on these message boards, and I see how you and many here make the worst assumptions of anyone that has a question. I have a strong sense of justice, integrity, and all around trying to better the world. Its why I joined the Army straight out of high school and want to become an officer now.

But, I take what you say as one of the worst outcomes from a background investigator, with the jumping to assumptions, I am just here to hear advice on my situation. I am very open when it comes to my life and will provide all information requested to my background investigator. I will not lie, and am very forthcoming with the information.

I understand that these events will stain the possibility of recruitment, and if I will have to wait to join, I will. If you want to bash and make assumptions on what I said I will not continue to argue with you, because in the end its pointless, its up to my background investigator.

But you, nor anyone here, who do not honestly know me except for a few paragraphs will prevent me from becoming an officer and working to better my community, because while there are some that seek a paycheck, I seek a rewarding career in where I can give back, uphold the law, and help people.

Again if you want to bash what I just wrote, I'm not going to argue with you, there are trolls everywhere, including here, not that I am calling you a troll, I am just sure you are stern with many seeking to become a LEO.

My last comments were rhetorical and not real questions.

The comments in my first response are the best advice I can give you.

CCCSD, perhaps you would like to take over here and offer your unique words of wisdom to the OP in this matter?

Comment

Hold on...Olivia is here... but quickly: he’s lying. Toast. Dead in the water. He COULD work in Chicago...
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• 1DVSBSTD
        1DVSBSTD commented
        Editing a comment
        Well it would be cleared up in a polygraph whether I'm lying or not. You can't cheat a poly I'm just trying to see what could get me in the door, I was upfront and told them about the incidents and those are my only two incidents, besides that, I have a completely clean record with a security clearance, but seeing how so many people are treated here, I'm not surprised about the treatment.

I would definitely have concerns about someone who repeatedly "accidentally" takes drugs. Even giving you the benefit of the doubt, it's just a little f-ing weird. I mean like you hang out with some weird people to keep accidentally drugging yourself. Or you have some very bad luck. I'm picturing you as a cop field testing some cocaine and all of the sudden a breeze picks up and blows it straight up your nose. While humorous, that scenario is not too far off from what you described already happening to you twice.
      In my college days, I smoked weed numerous times on purpose, but not once did it happen by accident. Just sounds kinda strange. It would honestly sound better if you had tried pot twice on purpose. But it is what it is. Best of luck.

Comment

• 1DVSBSTD
        1DVSBSTD commented
        Editing a comment
        That's why I feel like my situation is kinda screwed for the moment, the first felt like it was to screw with me, the second was a complete messed up situation with people I met for the first time, but trust me, I know how it sounds

You forget, we have SEEN and HEARD it all. You are just another in a long line of job seekers who are trying to wriggle out of some dope use. You don’t THINK that we can all read between the lines..?

Security Clearences aren’t anything like a BI.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• 1DVSBSTD
        1DVSBSTD commented
        Editing a comment
        I get that, but just humor me, assume I am telling the truth, I know how jacked up my situation is, I have no experience with drugs so both situations really caught me off guard. I spent my childhood sheltered and my adulthood in the army, I am fully aware of how in depth a BI is, but I feel as me telling the truth they would see that in the polygraph, I'm just wondering about just getting my foot in the door. If this is hopeless, I have a overseas contractor job offer which pays more, this is just what I've wanted to do for a very long time.

Most of us are veteran cops, so we tend to not sugar coat or take the side of the OP... we normally assume the worst and give out that info, better to crush dreams and hopes now then later. The way you are speaking (posting), you are making it sound like you want to have plausible deniability and seem like you are playing the victim...
      USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
      "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
      DA Public Safety Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Originally posted by 1DVSBSTD View Post
        Hi, I spent the majority of my adult life in the Army, never been around or used drugs ever in my life, I separated from the Army (honorable) two years ago due to my Ex-wife wanting me to get out.

I have been working on becoming an officer in Florida because it was my dream since long ago, I've been working out at the gym everyday since I separated while going to school. Improved the strength of my leg after I required surgery when I separated ,and I passed the CJBAT (perfect score) and the PAT (scored higher than all other test takers).

When my ex-wife first hit me with the divorce, her brother kept trying to become close to me. One day after a few drinks he wanted me to vape his e-cig. I vape daily and didn't think anything bad of it. Turns out the vape had THC in it. I vaped it twice and realized it didn't taste right because it gave me cottonmouth, he then told me it had THC, he knew I had been working towards becoming an officer and question whether it was to sabotage me. This was in December.

Fast forward to June, Divorced and found a new girlfriend with friends that have many professional careers. I attend one of her friend's birthday to meet them and have a few drinks. I start noticing many of the friends smoking marijuana, I keep to myself since that something I have never been interested in nor want to be since I want to be a LEO. I stick to just drinking some whiskey. I head to the kitchen a see a very nice bottle of whiskey and pour myself a double. I proceed to take a sip of it to taste it, tasted disgusting and greasy. I ask about it and find out it is marijuana infused alcohol. I lose it, run to the restroom and try to induce vomiting. I continue till I felt I pretty much emptied my stomach of everything I had eaten recently.

My question, which I pretty much know the answer since my application was pretty much trashed by one department because they are "prestigious" and told me to apply again in 3 years, should I still try to become a law enforcement officer right now? I know the two incidences are no one else's fault but my own due to my inexperience around drugs and my trusting of people. Is there anything I can do to get in now? I was completely honest on my application and put the two drug incidences on there. Now another department has positions available and wonder if anyone here has any helpful advice for me.
        I think the department you applied to gave you the best advice: Apply again in a few years.

"Accidental" or not, the drug use was too recent -- the last one only a few months ago.

It sounds to me like you may have had some trouble adjusting to civilian life...and your personal life is still in turmoil due to the divorce and everything that comes with that. You say you're not into drugs...but it seems that you might be "self medicating". You admittedly vape daily. Yes, it's legal, but it's still a bad habit that might make working 12-hour or even 8-hour shifts a challenge. There's nothing more unprofessional-looking than a uniformed cop sneaking a couple of drags behind some dumpster. I also assume that you may be indulging in liquor a bit more than you should since booze was involved in both incidents that you described. Clearly, it effects your judgment. Alcohol is one of those things that tend to get even seasoned cops into trouble...so we're reluctant to hire someone who is already showing troublesome traits.

Overall, my assessment of you as a candidate would be that AT THIS TIME you're too much of a liability. It's not so much the drug use itself. Rather, you have too much going on in your personal life with the divorce, new relationships, new acquaintances, etc. Your military service is a big plus, but I need to see that you can hack it in the civilian world without "accidentally" stumbling from one screwed up situation to the next. Right now I wouldn't trust you to be able to focus on the job, and I'd rather hire someone who "has their sh*t together", so to speak. So my advice to you is: Get your sh*t together! THEN apply.

Good luck!

Comment

Holy crap... just apply to other agencies and find out for yourself. Are you really going to walk away from your "dream" job if a few strangers on the internet tell you to? You seem pretty weird to me, but I know a ton of weird cops with even stranger stories in their backgrounds.

Comment

Either the OP is a lier or is incapable of making competent decisions and has poor judgement.

If the hiring decisions were mine, I would pass on him or her.

Comment

You’re done. To learn how to put better spin on your BS and you MAY find an agency that will give you a shot. In the meantime, stop violating local drug laws.
              Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post
                I would definitely have concerns about someone who repeatedly "accidentally" takes drugs. Even giving you the benefit of the doubt, it's just a little f-ing weird. I mean like you hang out with some weird people to keep accidentally drugging yourself. Or you have some very bad luck. I'm picturing you as a cop field testing some cocaine and all of the sudden a breeze picks up and blows it straight up your nose. While humorous, that scenario is not too far off from what you described already happening to you twice.
                In my college days, I smoked weed numerous times on purpose, but not once did it happen by accident. Just sounds kinda strange. It would honestly sound better if you had tried pot twice on purpose. But it is what it is. Best of luck.
                YEP

ONE "accidental" experience is plausible. TWO is not even in the realm of possibility

Secondly I agree with not.in.my.town

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

I think the department you applied to gave you the best advice: Apply again in a few years.

"Accidental" or not, the drug use was too recent -- the last one only a few months ago.

It sounds to me like you may have had some trouble adjusting to civilian life...and your personal life is still in turmoil due to the divorce and everything that comes with that. You say you're not into drugs...but it seems that you might be "self medicating". You admittedly vape daily. Yes, it's legal, but it's still a bad habit that might make working 12-hour or even 8-hour shifts a challenge. There's nothing more unprofessional-looking than a uniformed cop sneaking a couple of drags behind some dumpster. I also assume that you may be indulging in liquor a bit more than you should since booze was involved in both incidents that you described. Clearly, it effects your judgment. Alcohol is one of those things that tend to get even seasoned cops into trouble...so we're reluctant to hire someone who is already showing troublesome traits.

Overall, my assessment of you as a candidate would be that AT THIS TIME you're too much of a liability. It's not so much the drug use itself. Rather, you have too much going on in your personal life with the divorce, new relationships, new acquaintances, etc. Your military service is a big plus, but I need to see that you can hack it in the civilian world without "accidentally" stumbling from one screwed up situation to the next. Right now I wouldn't trust you to be able to focus on the job, and I'd rather hire someone who "has their sh*t together", so to speak. So my advice to you is: Get your sh*t together! THEN apply.

Good luck!

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I would be more concerned about the alcohol use and bars. Seems to be the common thread. Stop vaping and quit drinking.

Comment

Your whole thing sounds strange to me. You would have just been better off saying you tried pot a couple times and that’s that. I never heard of anyone accidentally taking drugs except for this one cop. He busted a guy in possession of sheets of acid. The cop was counting them not wearing gloves. He was licking his fingers to create traction to peel apart the sheets. Needless to say, he had an interesting next 12 or so hours.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9017 users online. 364 members and 8653 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X