Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Police agencies always send a DQ or better qualified letter?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Police agencies always send a DQ or better qualified letter?

Is it common for most police agencies to usually notify you if they have removed your from their list or the hiring process? Are there cases where agencies will not notify you of removal from the hiring process? By hiring process I mean beyond the basic initial screening, written and physical tests.

It is custom to send a letter, but some agencies don't send out anything
    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

• Capfan85
      Capfan85 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I never understood that unless it's a big agency
      Last edited by Capfan85; Today, 01:33 PM.

polis_crusher_by_chasestone-d6ncya1111.jpg

Get used to cold bureaucratic indifference. It'll be ubiquitous throughout your career.
    Last edited by Ratatatat; 09-10-2018, 09:21 PM.
    Thousands of people have talent. I might as well congratulate you for having eyes in your head. The one and only thing that counts is: Do you have staying power?

-Sir Noel Coward

Comment

• Capfan85
      Capfan85 commented
      Editing a comment
      It is definitely different then the private sector

• Ratatatat
      Ratatatat commented
      Editing a comment
      That's true. But I'll take bureaucratic indifference any day over toiling away for 30 years to make someone else rich.

Plus, people in LE have the best sense of humor. People in private sector laugh about things I see no humor in.

• Iowa #1603
      Iowa #1603 commented
      Editing a comment
      yes, Public sector hiring is vastly different from private sector. Then you find out that Public SAFETY hiring is totally different from other public sector hiring too.

If you have applied with a civil service agency ahd have actually been removed, you should received a written notice as you usually have certain appeal rights that have to be respected. Often there are time limitations within which you must file your appeal, so they must notify you.

However, there are two other considerations.

Sometimes you are not reachable on the list. What that means is, people are usually hired in the order of their civil service test scores (highest first, next highest second, etc.) Let's assume you are #75 on a list of 200 successful applicants and that list is good for two years. Let's also assume the department expects to hire 25 officers over the life of that two year list. If you are #75 on the list, odds are you are not reachable and you will never hear from them again. If another agency asks, you can honestly say you are "on the list" which is a respectable position.

There is one other possibility. Many departments operate under what is called the Rule of Three. It allows them to fill a position taking any of the top three scores on the list. So, if 1, 2, & 3. are the top, they can take #3 if they want. When the fill the next position 1, 2 & 4 become the next top 3 scores and they can hire from any of them. I have seen situations where a Chief of police develops a dislike for a particular candidate and uses the Rule of Three to keep bypassing them and never hire them. It is rare and usually happens because there is something in that applicant's personal history that would ordinarily be disqualifying, but for some technical reason, civil service rules won't allow it.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I only had one send me one of those letters. Then they called me about a year later and asked if I was still interested.

Two others said they would let me know either way. Eighteen years later and still nothing.

Just keep applying until you get the job.....

Unless you're one of those in the auto DQ category.
      Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
      President Ronald Reagan

All we ask is to be let alone.
      President Jefferson Davis

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10901 users online. 402 members and 10499 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X