300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resume Tips

sorry if this has been asked before I searched but could not find anything relevant/similar.

I am 28 and have been in sales since I was 18, after a decade in this field I can write a summary on a sales related resume all day long; but I am at a loss on how to write a professional summary for a law enforcement position given it’s a complete career change and I have no relevant law enforcement experience to highlight. Any advice/tips would be more than welcome :-)

Law enforcement agencies don’t take resumes. Hiring for government jobs generally involves fill-in-the-blank and check-the-box forms. Many agencies will specifically state to not attach a resume. Your work and education history will go on the job application and on the background investigation forms.

And here I am retired and venturing into the job market for the first time in 30 years, and also figuring out how to write a resume. Of the three jobs I’ve had, two were from job applications and one was “come work for my company”.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Yep every department that I know of wants an application. Some may allow you to add or attach a resume to the application.

How ever don't put on the application "see resume."

Comment

Originally posted by Robert90 View Post
        sorry if this has been asked before I searched but could not find anything relevant/similar.

I am 28 and have been in sales since I was 18, after a decade in this field I can write a summary on a sales related resume all day long; but I am at a loss on how to write a professional summary for a law enforcement position given it’s a complete career change and I have no relevant law enforcement experience to highlight. Any advice/tips would be more than welcome :-)
        The easiest way for me to explain this is................................................ ....

Start from the day you graduated from High School and make a list of every job you have had. Write down the dates you were employed by each employer. Write down the names of each supervisor you had during those jobs Write down your job duties at each job......including when those duties changed (if you got a promotion)

Use that document as reference when you fill out a LE application.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Most city, county and state agencies will only accept a written application, whose sole purpose is to determine your identity and whether you possess the minimum requirements for admission to the testing process. From there, you will be administered written and oral exams that measure your actual ability to perform the duties of the position you are seeking. From there, you are hired based on the order of your test scores (highest first, next highest second, etc.) and not on how attractive a resume makes you.

Resume's are viewed as putting lipstick on a pig. It may make you look pretty, but it doesn't necessarily improve your true quality. This is how many of us view resumes:

When you get far enough in the hiring process you will be subject to a background investigation. As Iowa indicated, that investigation will ask you to provide all sorts of information that will keep you scrambling for weeks trying to find/remember/locate things.

Print this out http://www.dsh.ca.gov/Jobs/docs/DSH_..._Statement.pdf

Start now gathering all the information it asks for. It contains most of the questions you will be asked. Use the information you gather as a template for filling out all background information packages in the future, so you will have it immediately available and not have to scramble for information at the last minute when when you reacfh the background phase.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Awesome guys - thanks for the advice, makes perfect sense

Comment

True story: Some years ago, when Nirvana and Pearl Jam were grungy little garage bands and cell phones were the size of a cheese brick, it was Ratatatat's first day at the academy. Time for introductions, that awkward group experience where everyone has to tell a bunch of strangers a little about themselves. Most were what you'd expect: former military... college... loss prevention... corrections.... private security... etc.

Then one guy reveals he was a used car salesman for several years. Everyone chuckled except the instructor- "You'll definitely use those skills in this line of work."

Looking back, he was spot on. If you can talk a man into buying a 2010 Chrysler with 132,000 miles, then you can talk a man into handcuffs.

So be sure to emphasize your verbal communication skills, persuasion skills, ability to quickly read people, because the same techniques used to sell ice cream to an Eskimo are used fifty times a day....
              To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.

-Elbert Hubbard

Comment

• Robert90
                Robert90 commented
                Editing a comment
                That is awesome and makes perfect sense; i have found that sales has helped me in many facets in life, not just my day job but wasn't sure how it could be tied into LEO until now. Thanks

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
              Then one guy reveals he was a used car salesman for several years. Everyone chuckled except the instructor- "You'll definitely use those skills in this line of work."
              The year was 1978. I was interviewing for a Deputy Sheriff job and was sitting in the room with the Lieutenant ,Captain, and Sheriff . I don't think the Sheriff asked me a question at all. but the Captain was the Chief Deputy and the Lieutenant was a former Chief Deputy so they both had plenty of experience
              The Lt asked me "If you don't get this job, could you go out and work as a used car salesman?" I told him "No, I don't want to be a car salesman"
              He pushed saying ........."I want to know if you could make a living selling cars" ------------- Well I had some background in retail sales and had been told by a former boss that he would pay me to go to school for sales if I wanted to.------------------- So I told him yes I could because I had done sales in the past. I did get the job.. I left the job for personal reasons after a few years. That Lt became my boss at the jail for a year and later was a shift supervisor when I was a patrol deputy & I learned alot from him
              I never understood that question ...............

Now that Lt later became the sheriff at that county............and was later named the US Marshal under President Clinton

A year or so after he retired from the Marshal's service I ran into him over coffee. I asked him about that question..............and he gave me the reasoning that If you can sell cars you can "sell" following the rules (laws) and can talk to people.

He was right. I started asking that question when I was interviewing new officers
              Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-08-2018, 08:22 PM.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

After looking into getting out of LE for the last 8 years I realized I have no idea how to write a resume..... apparently you can't just put "cop" on it.

Comment

I took the exact USAJobs posting and put that in my resume
                  USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                  "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                  DA Public Safety Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8860 users online. 357 members and 8503 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X