300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Investigator did not contact any of my references

Curious that my background investigator started my background the first week of July and finished the Last week of August. I have spoken to everyone I listed as a reference and no one was called. I am a former Navy Sailor and am curious how this process is handled. I have applied for a department before and they contacted all of my references. Has anyone experienced this? Is it a good or a bad thing. I have heard when they wrap up your background within 2 months it is a good thing. Mind you i had informed her of my reckless driving ticket i was cited back in 2012 but was informed by My background investigator that if i was to not hear from her regarding my background then that their were no issues thus far. Is she just not doing her job and doesn't care?
    Last edited by Navystatus; 09-05-2018, 04:31 PM.

It could be any number of reasons.

Applicants usually list select references who will only speak positively about them, so your BI may have decided not to waste her time having smoke blown up her rear end. OTOH, it may be she already has enough information about you to make a decision. Possibly, she just hasn't gotten around yet to contacting them. She could just be lazy. And of course, she could be like the BI we fired a while back. Ours sat home watching television all day while manufacturing fictional backgrounds. She claimed to have interview people who it turned out died years ago and visited business that closed long ago. We had to pull people out of the academy because they failed the second, real background.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Or she developed her own references based off of the information you provided.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

When I was running our background unit and I was doing backgrounds I recommended going 4 deep on references. By that I mean I develop a reference and I ask that person if they could give me the name of another reference. Then I contact that person and ask them to give me the name of a reference. Then I talk to that person and get another reference. By then I hope to have gotten away from all your buddies who will only tell me nice things and not tell me everything. I really don't care to talk to your listed references. In fact, I avoided them. You're not going to list someone who is going to answer my questions completely. They'll only tell me how great a person you are, you help out serving in a food line, you're nice to your mother and dog, and you can walk on water and only get your ankles wet. I want to talk to people who know you but don't run around with you.
        We had to self generate at least 5 non-listed references. I usually doubled that. If I talked to someone and smelled blood in the water then I kept digging. If there was blood in the water then by going 4 deep I could usually find someone who would give me something useful.
        Last edited by ISPCAPT; 09-05-2018, 06:26 PM.
        183 FBINA

Comment

Well that sounds a bit contradicting. "I want to talk to people who know you but don't run around with you." Those people don't know me and would only be able to judge me off of perception. You can simply run across people who don't like you JUST BECAUSE. That's messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Navystatus View Post
            Well that sounds a bit contradicting. "I want to talk to people who know you but don't run around with you." Those people don't know me and would only be able to judge me off of perception. You can simply run across people who don't like you JUST BECAUSE. That's messed up.
            Not at all contradictory nor is it 'messed up'. But you wouldn't know that.
            If you ever get into LE and start doing investigations then you might learn that.
            A lot of people know you, know your work ethic, know what you do when you're not at work, know how you are as a neighbor, yet you don't run around with them. Those are the people who don't feel they owe you anything or will try to blow smoke. They're the ones who start the interview with "I have never hung out with him but I've heard he and his buddies spend every weekend getting drunk." In LE terms that's called a lead. We use that lead to start digging around asking more specific questions and to a wider circle. Maybe it pans out, most of the time it does. Once I get a lead I can then direct a specific investigation into either verifying or discounting that information.
            I did investigations for 42 years. Using that method I turned up a lot of deadbeat applicants who would have never been found out. So it's not 'messed up'. It's called doing an investigation. Doing an investigation is not talking to the people you want the BI to talk to. It's digging to find out the truth. It's doing police work and getting to the truth. But you wouldn't know that so you don't have a clue what is 'messed up'.
            Your buddies aren't going to give the BI the truth. They're going to blow smoke, tell us you're nice to puppies, you call your mom every evening, and you go to church on Sunday. They won't tell us that you get drunk every night, that you get into fights, or you're the neighborhood bully. We get enough blowing smoke from the applicant, don't need it reinforced by the references.
            183 FBINA

Comment

@navy, Investigators understand that not everyone likes each other and that personality conflicts exist. One guy saying you are an *** hat is going to get you tossed from the process. A bunch of people saying you are an *** hat is worth some more digging.

Comment

Thank you just joe for answering my question. Enjoy the rest of your day
                Last edited by OfficerDotCom; 09-06-2018, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks L-1 and reils49 for the advice and insight and for being professional. Enjoy the rest of yalls week.

Comment

It’s not “messed up”, it’s police work. Do you know the difference between a background check and a background investigation?

A background check is just running down a list and checking things off. Which I what talking to the references you provided would be.

A background investigation is an investigation into your background. We treat ours very similarly to a criminal investigation. In fact there are times they turn out that way.
                    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

@relis49 Did i say anything about a damn background check? LIKE I SAID....Enjoy the rest of your week.

Comment

@relis49 Did i say anything about a damn background check? LIKE I SAID....Enjoy the rest of your week.
                        What the heck is this guy’s problem?!?

Reminds me of the attitude from some sailors I arrested in my NCIS days...
                        sigpic

Comment

• Iowa #1603
                          Iowa #1603 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          No crap..............

It's called INVESTIGATION.

That's what cops do
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Perception is part of this job.

Comment

One of my strongest “references” was a woman I never really knew. She was an older lady that I never really paid much attention to. She, however was into everyone’s business. Only after all was said and done and I was getting ready for my initial move after hiring, the woman came forward and introducted herself. She wished me luck and told me a bunch of stuff I didn’t know about my closest friends who would come by my home when I was at work and “borrow” various things.

Dunno if she was the the one who helped explain and exonerate me from some questionable stuff my BI asked me about, but in any case, if anyone, I think it would be her.

As for my references, only 2 were contacted (or at least called me and said they were contacted). Both said the interaction with the BI was under 5 minutes.

I know the BI spoke with my former employers as when I visited several years after getting hired, one of them made a remark about my new career.

You never know where your Bi will go. When you sign up, you authorize them to find out pretty much everything about you, and then some.

If there’s dirt to be found, the BI will find it. It’s the BI’s job to ensure that you’re a solid candidate that won’t make your agency look dumb later on down the line.

Good luck in your process!
                            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8865 users online. 357 members and 8508 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X