300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it typically take to get Poly results back

I recently took a polygraph 5 weeks ago and have not heard anything back yet either good or bad. The BI told me it will take "a few weeks" to get the results back. How long do most poly results take to come in? From what I've seen 2 weeks to a month seems to be the norm? Is it unusual for them to take longer than a month? Am I being too impatient? Would it be unreasonable to reach out to my BI in a week or so if I still have not heard anything?

Depends on the agency..........

IF the AGENCY says it will be a few weeks.................it will be a few weeks. Yes a few weeks could mean a couple months if that is what the agency does
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      Depends on the agency..........

IF the AGENCY says it will be a few weeks.................it will be a few weeks. Yes a few weeks could mean a couple months if that is what the agency does
      Thanks, I wonder why it takes them so long? Do they have to run it through the chain of command for approval?

Comment

In most agencies you don't get a letter or email saying congratulations, you passed the poly. If you fail, you get the dreaded DQ letter. If you pass, you hear nothing and your package goes back in line to be processed in the order of your score, as vacancies occur.

As has been said here many times before, no news is good news.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Capfan85 View Post

Thanks, I wonder why it takes them so long? Do they have to run it through the chain of command for approval?
          sometimes who ever is scoring the test has other duties

sometimes who ever is handling administrative duties of the hiring process have other duties

some times it just depends on the agency
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
            In most agencies you don't get a letter or email saying congratulations, you passed the poly. If you fail, you get the dreaded DQ letter. If you pass, you hear nothing and your package goes back in line to be processed in the order of your score, as vacancies occur.

As has been said here many times before, no news is good news.
            Thanks for clarifying

Comment

sometimes who ever is handling administrative duties of the hiring process have other duties

Thanks, appreciate the info.

Comment

I was told immedeatly afterwards that I passed. However it was the last thing I had to do in the process for that department.

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
                  I was told immedeatly afterwards that I passed. However it was the last thing I had to do in the process for that department.
                  I still have to do a psych and medical and background. They said it would take a few weeks to get the results in and then schedule me for psych and medical, but I havent heard anything since either good or bad.

Comment

Think I know why it has taken so long, I got an email response back recently to a status check request email I sent. They said they can't tell me one way or the other what the status was because "background investigations take time." So I am guessing they moved forward to the background investigation right after the poly? I thought the BI would be last after psych and medical as that is what many agencies do.

Comment

• Sincity
                      Sincity commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Typically the BI is done before poly/psych/medical. Usually goes application>screen to pass min reqs>written exam invite>written exam taken>written exam scored> interview > eligibility list> BI > BI Interview> Poly> Psych> Medical> Final Interview> Offer given. *Conditional can either come after passing Poly or after passing Psych.** But all this is subjective. Just depends on the depts hiring process. Typically they give a step by step timeline of the hiring process. Try to find this online somewhere OR reach out the to https://forum.officer.com/forum/loca...ups/u-s-states and find your state. Might have better results/info doing it this way, submit the question you need and you'll get the answer there. If you see someone else has applied to the same dept and had question(s) about them, browse the thread(s). You may find the answer you are looking for. Good Luck!

Also, some jurisdictions must present the results of the psych, poly, and background to the Police and Fire Commission/Civil Service Commission. Since those bodies typically have final say on hiring, they usually make the decision to keep or strike a candidate from the list based on results. Obviously weighing heavily on what the department thinks/wants. If the commission only meets once a month, it could take a little longer to find out because they haven't met to approve the results even if they are available.

As said before, every city, county, state operates differently. Patience really is a virtue. The last thing a background investigator or HR person wants is applicants constantly calling asking for an update. It's really easy to send the "Unfortunately, you have not been selected..." letter/email. If you haven't gotten that just relax and be patient. Things are progressing the way they should. Good luck!

Comment

I got the conditional offer before the poly, I have searched every crevice of this site and others for the agency I applied to and haven't found much information for some reason. I'm just thinking it makes more sense for them to do the background first before psych and medical for further screening because I am out of state. Also most people who go thru police hiring process are screened out by the background investigation. Unless you're totally nuts and have major health issues or are very out of shape you will pass the psych and medical.

Comment

Originally posted by ThinBlue404 View Post
                        Also, some jurisdictions must present the results of the psych, poly, and background to the Police and Fire Commission/Civil Service Commission. Since those bodies typically have final say on hiring, they usually make the decision to keep or strike a candidate from the list based on results. Obviously weighing heavily on what the department thinks/wants. If the commission only meets once a month, it could take a little longer to find out because they haven't met to approve the results even if they are available.

As said before, every city, county, state operates differently. Patience really is a virtue. The last thing a background investigator or HR person wants is applicants constantly calling asking for an update. It's really easy to send the "Unfortunately, you have not been selected..." letter/email. If you haven't gotten that just relax and be patient. Things are progressing the way they should. Good luck!
                        Thanks for the information, good points to consider I kind of figured it had to run through the chain of command and higher ups. I am happy I'm still in the process, just have to be patient you're right. Thanks

Comment

Got an email asking to do to a re-do, now it makes sense why it took so long.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9652 users online. 391 members and 9261 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X