300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I appeal the psych exam?

I sailed through every step of the process for my agency. Fit for uniform, had a start date. My oral board interview went very well, i was walked out by LT and told "you deserve the peace in knowing that went exceptional"...there are a lot in my corner and confused as to how the psych went the way it did. Is there an appeals process, or is it up to each individual agency?

The Psych exam is similar to the polygraph in that you can pass it with one agency and fail it with another. Maybe you can re-apply or try with another agency.

I doubt that appealing it will get you anywhere.

Comment

My BI is getting with the LT and i believe also the deputy I did the ride along with...and they are going to the Commander, all on my behalf. i guess i "have a lot of people pulling for me".. I was just told (yet again) have to wait. Thank you for responding. Kind of just feel like I am flapping in the wind over here. I THINK there were some things that took place in the exam that should not have. Recording being the main one. i was just wondering if anyone has experienced something like that. it was a terrible exam...clearly.
      Last edited by Gina5-0; 08-30-2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I know it is disappointing but don't sweat it too much. I have met people who have failed psych evals with one agency then passed with no problem for another agency. Polygraph and CVSA are big here in Georgia too and I've seen the same thing. An applicant will take it with one agency and pass and another agency and fail. I'm probably about to ruffle some feathers with this next statement but... Polygraph and Psychological exams are both highly subjective and a different examiner often provides different outcomes.
        Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

You can appeal it in my state. You will need to check with an attorney who is acquainted with civil service law in your state to determine if it is appealable where you are and if so, what the procedure is.

A word of caution here - you do not want the brass pulling strings to try and circumvent their shrink's findings. Instead, you want to get in by appeal or by a reconsideration from their shrink. Here's the logic behind that. Eventually you will be involved in a situation where you wind up getting sued (it happens to all of us). The fact that you were hired in spite of failing the psych brings up the issue of negligent hiring in the lawsuit. The attorney suing will claim the damage you allegedly did would never have happened if they followed the shrinks advise and never hired you. This can not only cost the department big bucks, but put at risk the personal bank accounts and homes of the people who made the decision to hire you against the shrink's recommendation. You don't want to put folks in that position.

OTOH, if you get hired on appeal or by reconsideration by their shrink, their backsides are protected because they simply complied with what the civil service commission and courts ordered..

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Gina5-0 View Post
            My BI is getting with the LT and i believe also the deputy I did the ride along with...and they are going to the Commander, all on my behalf. i guess i "have a lot of people pulling for me".. I was just told (yet again) have to wait. Thank you for responding. Kind of just feel like I am flapping in the wind over here. I THINK there were some things that took place in the exam that should not have. Recording being the main one. i was just wondering if anyone has experienced something like that. it was a terrible exam...clearly.
            Hate to burst your bubble but quite honestly it doesn't matter WHO is in your corner if the psych test isn't a "passing" one.

Most likely they MIGHT let you re test , maybe with a different examiner, and see what happens. As stated above, yo can flunk one day, pass the next day and and an inconclusive in the middle. BUT.....................

But the facts of life are that if you don't have an ok from the shrink.........NO administrator is going to hire you .
            My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

These are all awesome responses- thanks you guys! I appreciate the words. ALL of them...no toes stepped on, no bubbles popped, I assure you. Just looking for some input from others who have the wisdom that I do not.

Comment

Gina,

This is how psychs are handled in my state:

https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Doc...ta=(sc.Default)

At the bottom you will see how appeals are addressed. I suspect your state has a similar procedure.

A word of caution. Most civil service law gives you a limited window within which to file your appeal. It is often 5 or 10 days after being notified that you were rejected. Miss that window and you are out of luck. There are no do overs. Appeals are technical and not for the untrained person. You really need the services of an attorney familiar with civil service law. If you really want the job, don't screw around.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Gina5-0
                  Gina5-0 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I DO want the job- I have tried searching something similar to the link you provided, but I cannot seem to find anything for the State of Oregon Regulations. Any chance you are a guru and can shoot me THAT link?

• L-1
                  L-1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I really don't have the time, but you can look yourself. Start here:

https://www.oregon.gov/dpsst/Pages/index.aspx

In California you can have another Psych done (on your dime). No guarantee they would accept it.

Comment

We would tell you hit the road but some departments would retest you. Would depend on tour state requirements and the department.
                  Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Many years ago, an agency I applied for (and was essentially hired at) had me do a written psych exam, which consisted of about 300 multiple choice questions. A few days after taking the test, the recruiting lieutenant notified me the company who administers the test came back with a 'Do Not Hire' recommendation. He felt I had done well enough in all other phases of the hiring process that he didn't want to take it at face value. He arranged for me to meet with the chief and discuss my results.

In that meeting, the chief indicated that the 'failure' had to do with how I answered questions related to drug use. In short, the exam company indicated I would be too soft on drug offenses. He proceeded to read me the questions the company flagged as problematic, then gave me the opportunity to explain my answers. Once I did, he said he saw nothing wrong with how I answered the questions. He chose to hire me, but did tack an extra 6 months onto my probationary period.

During my time with that agency, I was responsible for 2 of the largest drug seizures and the biggest drug-related cash seizure in department history. I was not (nor am I currently) soft on drugs.Luckily, this was a small enough agency that the chief could make these sorts of calls. If that had happened with my current employer, I probably wouldn't have had much chance.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
                      Iowa #1603 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      the term MANY YEARS AGO really means nothing today.

A friend of mine was working for a small agency & was trying to move on. He flunked the psych several times. In my state you have to take the test ANY and EVERY time you apply for a new job. He would flunk the test & get called into the State Psychologist office to "have a chat"

She would interview him and pass him. and tell him that very few experienced officers make it through the test without problems but those problems are taken care of by the interview

This is state law here and the above is the way experienced officers take care of the problem.

Rookie hires................they would get the interview IF the agency wanted to pay for it....

FYI
                      MANY YEARS AGO I knew a cop that had a felony record.............

I have heard it said that many veteran officers on the job longer than 10 years probably wouldn't pass the same psy test they were administered when they were in the hiring process.

I believe this might be true, because I am totally abnormal these days....

Image result for abi normal
                    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                    SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4442 users online. 312 members and 4130 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X