300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I Mentally Unstable?

So I had applied to a local PD and made it all the way to the final step in the process, the psychological exam. Unfortunately I ended up failing the psychological exam and did not get the final offer.

I have a clean background and the one thing I can see being an issue was that I went to a psychologist for about 2 months once a week for general anxiety.
    My psychologist (not the psych test psychologist) told me I was not diagnosed with anything and am suitable to be hired etc. she wrote a written letter documenting all this as the testing psychologist needed me to get my psychologist opinion. I never took medications or anything like that and have not had any anxiety for years. Is this going to put a permanent dent in a LEO position?

Btw, I was not asked many questions about the actual psychological multiple choice exams so i'm assuming I did well on those.
    Your Screwed.
    11.11%
    Maybe A PD Will Take You...
    88.89%

“Failing” the psych often means that you didn’t have the personality profile that the PD is looking for. There may be some red flags in there that are automatic disqualifiers, but you’ll have to talk to the agency to know for sure.

Your psychologist isn’t really in a position to say that you are suitable for employment as a police officer, unless he happens to be the psychologist contracted to do that agency’s evaluations and knows the current standards.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
      “Failing” the psych often means that you didn’t have the personality profile that the PD is looking for. There may be some red flags in there that are automatic disqualifiers, but you’ll have to talk to the agency to know for sure.

Your psychologist isn’t really in a position to say that you are suitable for employment as a police officer, unless he happens to be the psychologist contracted to do that agency’s evaluations and knows the current standards.
      Yep.................re read this a few times......
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I sometimes feel like psych exams are like shooting craps. You never know what the dice will roll. I've seen people fail the psych with one agency on Monday and pass the psych with another department on Tuesday.

Keep trying.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          I sometimes feel like psych exams are like shooting craps. You never know what the dice will roll. I've seen people fail the psych with one agency on Monday and pass the psych with another department on Tuesday.

Keep trying.
          Exactly. I know a few guys who passed the psych test and got hired at one agency, worked for a couple years, then tried to test with a better paying agency, only to fail their psych tests and get rejected. They're still with the first agency that hired them.
          You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt5811 View Post

Exactly. I know a few guys who passed the psych test and got hired at one agency, worked for a couple years, then tried to test with a better paying agency, only to fail their psych tests and get rejected. They're still with the first agency that hired them.
            In Iowa I have rarely seen a veteran officer/deputy "pass" the psych test when trying to get hired at a new agency.

The psychologist employed by the state run Academy calls them down to Des Moines and "chats" with them............and waves the magic wand and they are gold.

The standard test is NOT designed for people who are IN the business............its designed for people TRYING to get in
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

A funny story - my attorney's son used to go on ride alongs with my watch back in the 1980s. It inspired him to want to be a cop, much to the chagrin of his father, who wanted him to go to law school. The kid took and failed psychs with 20 (count them - 20) different agencies before he somehow passed the psych for the 21st department he tested with. He's now going on something like 25 years with his department and yes, they do consider him to be a bit of an "odd duck."
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Good to know, I noticed that the agency put up a new hiring announcement about a week or 2 after I failed, their was about 4 other people left on the list so either they all failed or all passed... Was thinking that the psychologist visit would be an automatic DQ.

Comment

Keep trying. I get 10% VA disability for anxiety and it didn't affect myself from getting hired.

Comment

• J2H
                    J2H commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I finally got the "go ahead" for a PTSD rating from the VA... not sure how much of a percentage I'll get yet

• oef_vet
                    oef_vet commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think PTSD is at least 50%

• J2H
                    J2H commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They have 10, 30, 40, 50, 70, 90, and 100

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6963 users online. 354 members and 6609 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X