300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 out of 5

I heard from a college professor, that on average a police department will only hire 1 out of every 5 people on the list. He claimed this was due to people failing the background and polly. I was just wondering if there was any truth to this.

Originally posted by sox56
    I heard from a college professor, that on average a police department will only hire 1 out of every 5 people on the list. He claimed this was due to people failing the background and polly. I was just wondering if there was any truth to this.
    Last I heard, our Department hires 1 for every 25 who apply.

Comment

Its more like hire 1 in 5 that interview, for a small department. We hire about 1 in 100 who apply.

Comment

Currently, my agency is hiring 1-2 for every 100 applicants. Of course, then they have to make it through the academy and training programs...

EDJ
        "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

yep a majority of applicants fail the background and poly...
          then you still have the academy, then field training,and then probation

Comment

We normally have annually 6000 to 10,000 applicants and hire 50-100 people. Might have the list whittled down to 200 people for 50 slots. The PT test knocks out the largest percentage. Of those remaining who pass the background, interview, etc, we can't hire them all just because they were certified. Some just don't get called because of no slots available.
            183 FBINA

Comment

You say PT knocks out a lot of people. Is this because the training is that tough, or you just have a lot of really out-of-shape people apply?

Comment

my agency hired 1 out of every 26 that applied when i went through. 800 took the test, only 80 made it past the background. They hired 30 out of the 80.
                The Republicans need to shrug off this Christian Coalition noose it has placed around its own neck and recognize the fact that, though they may not realize it, the majority of Americans are actually quite libertarian in their philosophy. They also need to learn to fight once in a while. What a bunch of wimps.
                -Neal Boortz

Comment

Yea, I'd say that 1 in 5 is actually very conservative. There are departments that only hire 1 out of several hundred applicants. The major disqualifiers are physical agility testing, background, and polygraph/CVSA.

Originally posted by centralTMC
                  You say PT knocks out a lot of people. Is this because the training is that tough, or you just have a lot of really out-of-shape people apply?
                  That really depends on your opinion of standardized physical agility testing. Personally, I think that many standardized physical agility tests are poor indicators of realistic ability to do the job. Use Ohio's (OPOTA's) test...the 1 1/2 mile run is totally unrealistic in term of the job. Unfortunately, the less standardized tests like obstacle courses that more realistically portray on the job scenarios have been repeatedly shot down in court as "unfair." So, we end up with either unrealistic standardized tests (while, IMHO, eliminate too many good and capable candidates, especially slightly older candidates) or no physical agaility testing at all. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
                  "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

We just had a study done that concluded that we hire about 7% of all applicants while most of the other surrounding agencies are in the the 15% area.

Comment

Originally posted by centralTMC
                      The test is the state standard required of all LEOs before they can be certified. It's just amazing the number of people who show up for the test and fail. We not only post the requirements on our website but we also give suggestions how to prepare for the test. http://www.isp.state.il.us/employ/fitness.cfm
                      The 2 things that seem to get most of them is the bench press and the run.
                      What is even more amazing is people will pass the screening test, go thru the rest of the process, know they are in the running to be hired, and when hired, fail the PT test at the academy. They failed to maintain a physical level during the process and have gotten out of shape during that time.
                      It's not that tough of a test. Once we hire them they have to pass the same test every year they're on the job.
                      183 FBINA

Comment

At age over 55 I passed the physical agility, psy, oral and poly. I was and am an LEO. I can still pass,so it depends totally on the individual. Don't be discuraged because of age, it is a real advantage, we have nothing to prove to anyone, we have been there, done that, and we are still here still doing it.
                        Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

The agency that i work for right now had 2000 people test on the exam, only about 300 passed and of that 300 only 10 got hired.

Comment

Best way to tally from what I've been told is the rule of halves. For every exam, eliminate half the people testing. Incase you're missing my point...

Written - 200 take it / 100 pass
                            Physical - 100 take it / 50 pass
                            Background - 50 take it / 25 pass
                            Poly - 25 take it / 12 pass
                            Interview 12 take it / 6 pass

Total eligible to be hired - 6 out of 200. That's a loose way to look at it, but what I've been told is most realistic. So that would make a 3% hiring. Of course still depends on total applying to begin with.

Comment

damn thats depressing...
                              The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2659 users online. 128 members and 2531 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X