300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Degree

Do police departments give an online Bachelors degree the same weight as a in class degree when recruiting?

As long as it's from an accredited college I don't see why not.

IMO it would depend on the online school and who accredited it. I'm just skeptical of some of the, as seen on TV online colleges. That's just my opinion, I went to a brick and mortar school.

Comment

Your degree needs to come from an educational institution accredited by one of the agencies on this list: https://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/agencies.aspx

You have to be careful as the term "Accreditation" can be misleading. I can open the L-1 schoool of freeloading and reckless eyeballing, register it with the California Department oif Education and legitimately claim it is accredited by the State of California simply because I have registered with them. Many fly by night diploma mills have joined together and formed their own, fake accreditation group with an impressive sounding name.

Unless your diploma is from an institution accredited by a group on the above list, it's worthless. Right now, more than a few cops are being disciplined for getting diploma mill degrees and using them to get education pay and promotions they were not qualified for. Choose wisely when going for an online degree.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

If you are going to go that route, my advice to you is to get a degree from a nationally accredited brick and mortar school that has an on-line program.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
          If you are going to go that route, my advice to you is to get a degree from a nationally accredited brick and mortar school that has an on-line program.
          That is what I did, I got my bachelors degree from the University of Central Missouri. I did it online but it was the same program as if I had taken classes in person. It was reasonably priced and very convenient. Plus I have a degree from a state school instead of a potentially problematic online “school.”

-Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
            If you are going to go that route, my advice to you is to get a degree from a nationally accredited ...
            No disrespect to Joe, but as someone who did accreditation audits for years I could not disagree more! “National accreditation” sounds to the uninformed like its the best, but it is not. National accreditation means its only recognized by an accreditation council that is approved by the US Dept of Education. If you need proof of the US Dept of Ed having been “asleep at the wheel” in overseeing national accreditation for years, just Google the collapses of former schools for fraud and predatory lending practices like ITT Tech, Corinthian Colleges, and ACICS.

I’ll share with you what I plan to do with my own kids’ higher education: stick with colleges that are REGIONALLY accredited. Regional accreditation is overseen by both the US Dept of Ed AND regional accreditation councils, and this is the same accreditation that state universities have.

Stick with regional accreditation only, and stay away from for-profit colleges, and the online degree program will likely be reasonably priced and appropriately accredited for all LE employers.
            Last edited by Kimble; 08-16-2018, 06:26 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post

No disrespect to Joe, but as someone who did accreditation audits for years I could not disagree more! “National accreditation” sounds to the uninformed like its the best, but it is not. National accreditation means its only recognized by an accreditation council that is approved by the US Dept pf Education. If you need proof of the US Dept of Ed having been “asleep at the wheel” in overseeing national accreditation, just Google the collapses of former schools for fraud and predatory lending practices like ITT Tech, Corinthian Colleges, and ACICS.

I’ll share with you what I plan to do with my own kids’ higher education: stick with colleges that are REGIONALLY accredited. Regional accreditation is overseen by both the US Dept of Ed AND regional accreditation councils, and this is the same accreditation that state universities have.

Stick with regional accreditation only, and stay away from for-profit colleges, and the online degree program will likely be reasonably priced and appropriately accredited for all LE employers.
              Thanks for pointing out my brain fart -- I couldn't disagree with me more, either. You are 100$ correct; regional is the way to go, and what I meant to say.

Comment

If you need to a non-traditional educational path, do it online through a regular college that has an online program, not an online-only school. And I don't mean University of Phoenix...many well-known state universities offer programs that can be done via distance. That way, you know you will have a legitimate degree from a school that won't lose its accreditation down the road. To answer your question- no, a degree that was earned online will not be discriminated against as long as it is from a proper school. From what I would guess, nobody would ever know the difference. I doubt they write "online" on your diploma.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9750 users online. 350 members and 9400 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X