300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have a shot at getting hired?

So Im 22 and just graduated college with a degree in criminal justice (worthless I know) and have been applying and taking tests for any department in my area. While in college, I unfortunately had a few brush-ins with the law the first time being arrested for disorderly conduct being involved in a fight in front of my house with kids who wouldn’t leave the party when told to. The second time being arrested when my fraternity came under some heat for hazing allegations which ended up in each member being charged with first degree hazing a misdemeanor no matter the involvement. Ended up getting dropped to a disorderly conduct. I had minimal to no involvement within the fraternity just happened to get charged because I was connected to it. So in the end have no criminal record and other then those two incidents only have minor traffic violations in highschool. Since the incidents and college in general my maturity level has gone up a ton I know you guys will probably rip me apart but would I have any shot at being a LEO with those incidents in my background or should I find another career path to pursue.
    Last edited by SigSauer9; 08-12-2018, 08:37 AM.

I’m going to bet that the facts of these incidents show a lack of maturity, problems with alcohol, etc.

When you boil it down, you have been arrested twice in the last 4 years. That’s an issue.

I say you have a better shot after you put some time between you and college stupidity, get a job and grow up a bit.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Two arrests related to frat activities? Highly unlikely that any department can take the risk of hiring you. Too much chance of alcohol-related misconduct. Think about it. There are dozens, or hundreds, of others vying for the same job. Many of them have never been arrested and never got any tickets. You made the chief’s decision easier years before you even realized it.
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

• SigSauer9
        SigSauer9 commented
        Editing a comment
        I understand what your saying but alcohol related misconduct would not be an issue as I don’t drink. I work a full time job 50+ hours a week and any free time is spent in the gym or on the golf course. I left my alcoholism in college but thanks for your opinion.

Then you were clean and sober when you committed battery and hazing. Google Brady and figure out WHY you are a risk to be given a badge.

You HAVE a record. Guess that CJ degree really didn’t teach you a thing...
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• SigSauer9
        SigSauer9 commented
        Editing a comment
        If you read what I said correctly, I said it wouldn’t be an issue because I currently don’t drink. And as for the incidents you know zero facts about either situation, or me as a person so your risk assessment doesn’t hold much. Also not sure what your referring to about google Brady, please elaborate.

Get a job with the fire department, EMS or MAYBE corrections.

Looks like you have some integrity issues.

Comment

So, here is the thing, specifically related to you saying we don't know the facts of your cases: it doesn't matter.

Mitigating circumstances really only apply during a court case, not after the fact. What my friends here are getting at is any good defense attorney will rip you apart on the stand, should you ever reach that point. As an example, lets say a department takes a chance on you and post-academy you get a brutality complaint. The attorney representing the complaintant "WILL" bring up your past CONVICTIONS, no matter what the explanation is. At a minimum, you'll get fired, sued and possibly convicted. At the worst, your agency will be sued for everything they have because they took a known CONVICTED problem into their force.

Brady is a court case and a good one for potential officers to know. I'm no expert but boiled down it means that anything that could impeach you must be made known to the defense. So, lets look at the plea to two cases involving hazing/alcohol.... now you are an off-duty officer and a mooch you locked up for DUI approaches you in a bar. You say he came at you, he says you attacked him. The defense would be bound to make your past known to his/her attorneys and good luck getting a conviction. I guarantee every attorney you went up against would simply tell the judge "Your honor, this officer has two convictions that show he bullies and harasses people, which is what happened here to my client..."

We don't need a seven page risk assessment to tell us the future, as past behavior is usually, but not always, but usually an accurate predictor of future behavior.

Comment

You do the work. You have a college degree, figure it out. As for YOU, yes, I DO know YOU. You are just like all the others who have ZERO self control, and now are whining about it, trying to blame their age/education/social status/lack of toilet training/mommy issues/daddy issues...ad nauseum.

You FAILED, FAILED, to do the correct thing. You now try to blow it off and downplay it, citing that it was reduced. Know WHY it was reduced? Because you and the DA agreed to it so that you would plead guilty and not take up the courts time. That’s all. You were part of it.

Hazing? Hazing enough for charges to be filed? You are DONE.

Stupid moves make life decisions. Now you get to find out what that CJ degree is REALLY worth...

Comment

OK, let's take a couple steps back and look at your situation, starting with the party at your home and dealing with your unwanted guests.

It's generally held that you can use reasonable force to remove unwanted trespassers who refuse to leave. But instead, your conduct was so egregious that you wound up getting popped for disorderly. No bueno dude.

Now, on to your fraternity hijnks. Folks don't get charged with a crime simply because the associate with others. They have to aid, advice or encourage in the violation in some manner, No bueno here either.

Now, here's the good news. You seem to possess the basic skills for being able to spin the facts to make them sound in your favor. This suggests you have a great career ahead of you in politics or as an attorney. Consider running for higher office. Start small at first - perhaps on your city council. Then, with the aid of a law degree, the sky's the limit.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by SigSauer9 View Post
              So Im 22 and just graduated college with a degree in criminal justice (worthless I know) and have been applying and taking tests for any department in my area. While in college, I unfortunately had a few brush-ins with the law the first time being arrested for disorderly conduct being involved in a fight in front of my house with kids who wouldn’t leave the party when told to. The second time being arrested when my fraternity came under some heat for hazing allegations which ended up in each member being charged with first degree hazing a misdemeanor no matter the involvement. Ended up getting dropped to a disorderly conduct. I had minimal to no involvement within the fraternity just happened to get charged because I was connected to it. So in the end have no criminal record and other then those two incidents only have minor traffic violations in highschool. Since the incidents and college in general my maturity level has gone up a ton I know you guys will probably rip me apart but would I have any shot at being a LEO with those incidents in my background or should I find another career path to pursue.
              Saved.

Comment

I love it when they come on here with issues, ask us, we give them the answers they came on here for, don't like it, then get combative and stupid...
                USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

No kidding. Reality is something these children don’t understand.

Comment

Originally posted by slcool
                    SigSauer9.....Future reference, Be extremely careful how you go to the ' Ask A Cop " topic and ask questions because you might get DISRESPECTFUL answers from DISRESPECTFUL cops like the ones you are dealing with now. ..Find one that will respond to you in a respectful manner...All questions aren't meant to be answered by all on here because of their own personal experience and issues...You ask a respectful question and should have received a respectful answer even if you was given a truthful answer....Some of them have mental issues, lonely, etc. etc. and think they are above the law and know -it- all....
                    YOU are not a cop. You don't get to post in here.

Comment

So Im 22 and just graduated college with a degree in criminal justice (worthless I know) and have been applying and taking tests for any department in my area. While in college, I unfortunately had a few brush-ins with the law the first time being arrested for disorderly conduct being involved in a fight in front of my house with kids who wouldn’t leave the party when told to. The second time being arrested when my fraternity came under some heat for hazing allegations which ended up in each member being charged with first degree hazing a misdemeanor no matter the involvement. Ended up getting dropped to a disorderly conduct. I had minimal to no involvement within the fraternity just happened to get charged because I was connected to it. So in the end have no criminal record and other then those two incidents only have minor traffic violations in highschool. .
                      YOU may not believe your prior behavior is a "problem" but the known LEO's on this forum who have answered you DO feel there is a problem.

That is because of the experience they have ...............decades of experience.......................some in Supervisory roles as a cop

Like stated at least once above........................TWO Disorderly Conduct convictions in a 4 yr period is a red flag. It shows some type of action that was above and beyond "normal" response to conflicts. and you showed that proclivity TWICE

You might find a department willing to take you on...............but it won't be easy or soon.

Since the incidents and college in general my maturity level has gone up a ton I know you guys will probably rip me apart but would I have any shot at being a LEO with those incidents in my background or should I find another career path to pursue.
                      So , you KNEW how this conversation on the forum was going to be but you still asked the question and proceeded to argue with the answers you received.

Yep you STILL have a problem with conflict resolution
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I’ll be the voice of dissent here, we’ll sort of.

I think the OP has a chance but not for at least a couple of years. People do stupid things in college and hopefully learn from those mistakes.

That said, law enforcement is about taking responsibility for ones self and others. No one wants to hear justifications or excuses. The best thing someone with a questionable past can do is own their mistakes and be able to demonstrate through several years of good work history and no questionable decisions legitimate change.

I would suggest gaining some experience in the working world and staying out of trouble for three or more years, then pursuing law enforcement. Possible choices:

-Non-sworn Probation and Parole Officer

​​​​​-Emergency dispatcher

-Corrections, jail or prison (note that jail might get you an in at the sheriffs office)

-Court Clerk

there are of course other options.
                        -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9730 users online. 352 members and 9378 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X