Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have I smoked too much to become a Police Officer?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I smoked too much to become a Police Officer?

Hi all, Im hoping that it is not too late.

I am 19 now, and when i was 18 i smoked marijuana almost everyday from the months of November until the end of March. Shortly after that my dad died from a cocaine overdose and it has ripped our family apart. That being the reason I want to be a cop to get that crap off the streets. I have not smoked marijuana since and wont again.

Will I have a chance of being considered for a police job being that the drug was used habitially for some ammount of time? I do know that they want a good ammount of time since the last usage.

I have not done any other drugs and do not smoke ciggarettes.

Thanks for your time,

Alex.

---message deleted/removed----Just realized I was in the Ask a cop forum and not the Law Enforcement Job Center forum. responses reserved for Leo's only here.. My mistake.
    Last edited by MSoCal; 04-13-2007, 11:31 AM.
    My LAPD Process
    PQE - 7/07 - PASSED
    PAT 1 - 7/24 - PASSED
    Prelim BI - 7/25 - PASSED
    Poly - 7/26 - PASSED
    Oral - 09/15 - PASSED
    Medical/Written Psych - 09/27 PASSED
    Backgrounds - In Progress
    Oral Psych - TBD
    Cert. & Appointment - TBD

Comment

It sounds like you've smoked it too many times to be hired. Sorry.

Comment

Depends on the department.

I think it would be safe to say you probably won't get hired until you're 25'ish (assuming you stay clean from now until then).

Comment

Originally posted by Traffic_82
          Depends on the department.

I think it would be safe to say you probably won't get hired until you're 25'ish (assuming you stay clean from now until then).
          True. However, most don't get hired until that age anyway. Stay clean.
          Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

yes i agree too.. and 19 is too young for LE work... IMO.. get some work experience and a college degree.

Comment

You might have a shot, but right now, you're pretty borderline. You need to put a substantial amount of time between your last use of Marijuana and the time of your application to a LE agency. Regarding your Dad. You're not responsible for the choices he made, so that should not be an issue. Clean up your own act. Bring a good record of reliability and citizenship to the application process.

Comment

Get a degree work a decent job. Keep your nose clean and in several years when you have a 4yr degree you will be able to find a cop job. It will be a little difficult. But time is your friend and the backgrounds are getting more and more lax about past MJ use...
                Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

You WILL need a few years between your last admitted use and your application submission date to be considered. At 19, most departments will conclude that you're too immature, anyway (considering you just stopped smoking) and cannot assume the liability if you decide to pick up your old habit again.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Whoa, wait a minute! I just reread this post. Did you say from November to March almost every day????? Let's see something here:

Nov=30 days you smoked 15 times
                    Dec= 31 days you smoked 13 times
                    Jan=31 days you smoked 10 times
                    Feb=28 days you smoked 8 times
                    Mar=31 days you smoked 10 times
                    TOTAL = 56 TIMES WOW!!!

Of course these are my personal estimates (Can I do this without being critcized?) If these totals are anywhere near the truth, and these are conservative estimates based on your description above, then I think you should consider employment elsewhere. No one will touch this.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

Comment

At the moment nobody would touch that of coarse. My question is after i finished 4 years of college, depending on what age and how many years it has been since the last use if I would be considered. I need to know if i should consider other careers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sixil
                        ...my dad died of a cocaine overdose... That being the reason I want to be a cop to get that crap off the streets.
                        i know what your saying...thats why i believe that dope dealers AND dope users should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. its just not the dealers but those who lack the self discipline and abuse them.

Comment

Yes, consider something else. Maybe if you're lucky, in a few years someone will give you a shot, but you should focus on something else.

*Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Comment

Give it some time. It's not written in stone but a lot of depts want someone with 3 years minimum of undetected or detected crime.

You would certainly not be the first person who smoked a lot of MJ when they were a teenager who later became a cop.

19 is way too young for this line of work. As suggested, get into school and keep yourself clean for a few more years before you look at applying.

Comment

Ok guys, thanks for all the advice. Im just going to stay in school and keep my options open. Hopefully some dept would give me a chance in the future when im 22 or so.

You all stay safe!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5542 users online. 353 members and 5189 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X