300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I doomed for failure?

I have been a corrections officer for 2 years and am 21 yrs old and I want to switch to police work. The problem is when I was 18 I stole from an employee for the amount of $300 not cash just merchandise, also I confessed to driving under the influence of alcohol multiple times as a teenager and have been written up at work for very minor petty things, I seem to not even make it passed the background packet over view. Am I doomed? Should I look for other careers?

You’re done. Be thankful you even have a job...which with your issues shows a lack of quality and a huge liability for your Dept.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

The first thing that comes to mind is, how did you pass the background for corrections officer?
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Jjsav View Post
        I have been a corrections officer for 2 years and am 21 yrs old and I want to switch to police work. The problem is when I was 18 I stole from an employee for the amount of $300 not cash just merchandise, also I confessed to driving under the influence of alcohol multiple times as a teenager and have been written up at work for very minor petty things, I seem to not even make it passed the background packet over view. Am I doomed? Should I look for other careers?
        My best advice is that you and this bozo from another thread start your own security firm together:

https://forum.officer.com/forum/publ...es#post6666693

A few name suggestions:
        "Thieves R Us"
        "Rent a Crook"
        "Wanna B Team"
        "Steal Security

I'm sure other forum members can think of additional names, so at least your visit to the forum was not a complete bust.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          The first thing that comes to mind is, how did you pass the background for corrections officer?
          In many places the qualifications are much lower for Corrections than for LE
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

In many places the qualifications are much lower for Corrections than for LE
            especially if they do not carry peace officer status

Comment

I was never caught...

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

My best advice is that you and this bozo from another thread start your own security firm together:

https://forum.officer.com/forum/publ...es#post6666693

A few name suggestions:
                "Thieves R Us"
                "Rent a Crook"
                "Wanna B Team"
                "Steal Security

I'm sure other forum members can think of additional names, so at least your visit to the forum was not a complete bust.
                This would cost a lot of money

Comment

Do you think that self sponsoring would help? Wouldn’t they take into consideration that it was when I was a teenager???

Comment

I was never caught...
                    It doesn't matter .....................you disclosed your criminal behavior

Do you think that self sponsoring would help?
                    Have you even read the answers you have been given by a whole slew of experienced officers AND SUPERVISORS.???????
                    you don't have a chance in hell of being hired as a cop

Wouldn’t they take into consideration that it was when I was a teenager???
                    You were an ADULT....................................18 is an adult.
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

It doesn't matter .....................you disclosed your criminal behavior

Have you even read the answers you have been given by a whole slew of experienced officers AND SUPERVISORS.???????
                      you don't have a chance in hell of being hired as a cop

You were an ADULT....................................18 is an adult.
                      I get that but I’ve grew up a lot since then from working at the prison, so you think I should just look for a new career ? Self sponsor won’t work? Or just not put that on the background investigation for the next department? (I’ve been told this by multiple leo’s)

Comment

Or just not put that on the background investigation for the next department? (I’ve been told this by multiple leo’s)
                        You would then be lying by omission .................If you are even THINKING about doing that YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS IN THE BUSINESS.

Stay in Corrections if they will have you....................

You WILL be asked if you ever committed a crime for which you didn't get caught.................if you lie........you die in this profession

Comment

You would then be lying by omission .................If you are even THINKING about doing that YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS IN THE BUSINESS.

Stay in Corrections if they will have you....................

You WILL be asked if you ever committed a crime for which you didn't get caught.................if you lie........you die in this profession
                          So basically you have to be perfect person even as a kid? And yes I said kid 18 I was just out of high school and going through a bad time, so your saying that police departments don’t believe in people changing?

Comment

So basically you have to be perfect person even as a kid? And yes I said kid 18 I was just out of high school and going through a bad time, so your saying that police departments don’t believe in people changing?
                            No, we don't expect people to be perfect to be a law enforcement officer.

Yes people change but there is a HUGE difference between a mistake and criminal act.

Add in the "minor petty things" write ups at your current job....I wouldn't hire you either if the hiring decisions were up to me.
                            Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
                            President Ronald Reagan

All we ask is to be let alone.
                            President Jefferson Davis

Comment

Look at it from this perspective...….

I'm a chief at XYZ Police department. I have 100 applicants for each position I have available. Within those 100 applicants you will find people with clean records, military/combat veterans with proven track records of leadership, college graduates, police officers with other agencies and applicants without any theft or DUI's, maybe a recreational marijuana here and there but no legit serious misdemeanors. With all of those options, why would I take a chance with you?

Comment

• J2H
                                J2H commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Boom! Headshot! ;-)

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11771 users online. 384 members and 11387 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X