300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting hired at 21?

Hello, I want to be a police officer. I am currently 21, and have been told, through gathering information on other sites, that most departments do not hire applicants this young. Is this true? Also, are there departments that will hire young applicants?

21 is the minimum age to be hired as a sworn police officer. Most currently serving officers will agree that 21 is still too young. The vast majority of 21 year olds don't have much, if any, life or work experience.
    You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

I know of very few agencies that hire at the minimum age.........................on a regular basis.

You would have to have some real good background in order to over come that
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It just depends on the person and what you bring to the table. I once worked for an agency that hired at 18. We employed an 18 year old who did an incredible job. OTOH, I've worked for 45 year olds whose lack of maturity suggested they had not business being in law enforcement.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Detroit PD hires at age 18.

Sometimes I'll see a young new officer, 19 or 20 years old, and think they should've enjoyed a few years of youth before jumping into the fray. But it's their life.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/How-Do-I/Find/DPD-Jobs
          “It's a mess, aint it Sheriff?"

"If it aint it'll do till a mess gets here.”

-No Country for Old Men

Comment

As stated before, it's going to depend on the agency and what you can bring to the table. You'll need a solid background and it wouldn't hurt to show that you have either worked or have experience in some type of leadership role in which you had a significant amount of responsibility and were able to handle it. Remember that they are giving you a vehicle with about $80k worth of equipment. You also have the ability to take away someone's freedom, and life, if necessary.

I began working county corrections at 19. Landed my first patrol position with a different agency about a week after my 21st birthday.
            And maybe remind the few, if ill of us they speak. That we are all that stands, between the monsters and the weak.

Comment

Originally posted by knags340 View Post
              Hello, I want to be a police officer. I am currently 21, and have been told, through gathering information on other sites, that most departments do not hire applicants this young. Is this true? Also, are there departments that will hire young applicants?
              Commenting on “most” departments would be speculation on my part. However there are departments on the west coast that hire 21 year old applicants.

As a matter of fact we have active and guest o.com members who tested at 20 and appointed on or about their 21 birthdays.

Comment

I was hired at 21. Sure I could have gotten some more life experience but very few things truly prepare you for this job. Being mature is a must. There is no reward for getting hired at 21.

apply and find out.
                semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by RGDS View Post
                  I was hired at 21. Sure I could have gotten some more life experience but very few things truly prepare you for this job. Being mature is a must. There is no reward for getting hired at 21.
                  My reward, a full service retirement in my 50's, a six digit pension, paid medical, dental with a yearly COLA.
                  Last edited by BTDT2; 06-16-2018, 09:04 AM.

Comment

• PeteBroccolo
                    PeteBroccolo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was not 19.5 years old when I was accepted by my Force and sent to our Academy, then pulled the pin after 35+ years at just over 54.5 years old with the maximum (70% of the average of my best 5 years salary) pension.
                    My kid (11+ years service, but only counting as of his Academy grad) turned 21 after grad.
                    My Force accepts Cadets into Basic Training from ages 19 to 50+ - you HAVE TO be Canadian, though, so..too bad for you turkeys!

I started in State Corrections at 21 and was hired as a deputy sheriff at 23.....................................

I was too young both times...............
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Joined the military at 20, turned 21 while there, got good life experience, landed my first LE gig in my 30s
                    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                    DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

A good bit of the agencies around me will hire you at 18 (sheriff offices) and 20 1/2 for police departments. Middle Georgia region

Comment

I got hired at 20. Wish I would have held off for a little while longer and enjoyed myself more when I was younger. You can always be a cop.

Comment

Got my first full-time sworn position at 22...and it nearly ruined my career. I was in over my head, way too inexperienced at life, and pretty much fumbled that first job. Of course, I had to explain all that when I moved on...

Looking back, I should have taken a couple more years to grow up and live first.
                          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Why don't you apply and see what happens? What makes you the most qualified applicant at age 21? I think its more of your experience and life experience than your age.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6639 users online. 206 members and 6433 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X