300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed FTO recuits

I didn’t pass FTO at my previous department. What can I do to help me get hire for the next Agency? Have been applying for a year with no luck.

How did you fail FTO? That is going to be a big flag for getting re-hired...
    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
    DA Public Safety Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Mainly is report writing where I will need to be faster and more descriptive. Also interviewing skill, asking pertinent question to each case.

For the past year, I have been working in a restaurant where I’d interact with numerous people daily and resolve restaurant disputes. I also participated in numerous ride along that I utilized as a mentor session on how to handle calls and overcome my weakness.

I just need an opportunity to overcome my hurdle in life as a police officer.

My background: bachelor degree, USMC veteran, clean driving record, clean criminal history, and excellent credit score rating.

the only thing that flagged my background is not passing FTO.

Comment

What have you done to improve those specific tasks that were identified as problematic in your previous job? It sounds like writing and interviewing are areas you need to work on. Resolving disputes in a restaurant aren't going to cut it.

Consider taking a creative writing class at a local community college to improve your writing skills.

Is there a local community newspaper/magazine/newsletter you could volunteer at that would allow you to work on interviewing?

Showing any potential future employers you've learned from your past experienced and put significant effort into improving your weaknesses could go a long way to overcoming their reluctance to move you on.

The era of hiring cops just because they're over 6' and 200 lbs. is over. In the new age of liability concerns, departments want mature problem-solvers. Exhibit those characteristics and your opportunities could open up.

Comment

I will look into creative writing class. Thanks

Comment

Umm...I don't think "creative writing" is the way to go. That's pretty much the opposite of report writing.

Comment

• shortyj
              shortyj commented
              Editing a comment
              Perhaps although creativity is helpful at times lol

What class should I take? There is a Law Enforcement report writing class available at my local college but you will need to be with an agency in order to register.

Comment

Originally posted by zeronos01 View Post
              What class should I take? There is a Law Enforcement report writing class available at my local college but you will need to be with an agency in order to register.
              See if you're allowed to "audit" the class. You may not get credit...but might still be allowed to attend. Find out who teaches the class and meet with them in person. Tell them about your situation and ask them for advice. Even if you can't attend the class, they may have some resources/study material available or be able to point you in the right direction. It can't hurt to ask. Good luck!

Comment

Report writing and interview abilities are key to the position. No one is going to take a second chance on you unless you can truly demonstrate significant improvement in those areas.

While CJ report writing classes at your local college may be limited to active police officers, if you contact the instructor, explain your situation and goals, I suspect you have a good chance of being admitted toi the class. Being able to show a transcript with a passing grade (preferably a high one) should demonstrate you have overcome this deficiency.

Training in interviewing skills is a little more difficult to come by. Take a look at these folks https://www.reid.com/ They offer classes in interviewing techniques. Being able to show you have successfully completes one of their courses may demonstrate you have overcome this shortcoming as well and get an agency to give you a second chance.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Any kind of writing class will help. But do a basic language class. But if you are failing in interview skills and report writing, that tells me you have bigger problems- it means your initial investigation and basic knowledge of elements of crimes is likely lacking also. Might need to put yourself through an academy.

Comment

The USMC should have prepared you to handle that kind of stuff. I wrote a ton of reports and memoranda as a cop in the military, so it was easy to translate to the civilian world. How long ago were you an FTO recruit?
                    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                    DA Public Safety Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Last year and I left USMC about 5 years ago. Police jobs here are very competitive to get into.
                      Last edited by zeronos01; 06-06-2018, 07:06 PM. Reason: error

Comment

Last year. I’m confident with given opportunity that I can pass FTO. All I need was more time and repetition to establish my own rhythm for police work.

Comment

How long were you on FTO for? Was there a progressive documentation of you short comings? How did the agency you were with prepare you for FTO? Was there recommended retraining? I've never seen a failure for report writing, I've seen extensions.

Comment

I was on fto for about 12 weeks with two extension. On my last extension, I knew that I needed more time so I voluntary resign.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11649 users online. 439 members and 11210 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X