300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do??

Here is the thing. I'm 27 years old, and I have been in the hiring process for a few months now. Law Enforcement IS what I am going to do for the rest of my life. BUT... I can't get into the department I want until the beginning of 08. So.... I am currently bartending because I quit my last job to persue the LE process. The thing is, I have a degree, and I hate wasting my education as a bartender, not that there is anything wrong with it, I just didn't spend all that money to do something I could have done without it.
    Now, the main guy told me to apply for Police Communications position until I can become a police officer. I did that, took the exam a couple weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. HERE IS THE PROBLEM. I have been offered a really good job in the same field I was in before, and it starts out about $20k more than the police communications job. So, should I take it for the next 9-10 months and save up and pay some bills, or hold out for the police communications and if I get it use the experience to make me a better officer? I'm confused and would love some advice. I don't know if it's fair to the employer to have them spend time and money on me when I KNOW I will be leaving in less than a year to join the police department. What would you do??

First off, I'd recommend following your heart.
    Second off, I'd recommend following your wallet.

IMHO, and I'm not a true-believer or anything like that so others may castigate me for my lack of employer loyalty in this hypothetical, but IMHO very few employers have any loyalty to you. If you're a hot potato, they'll dump you. Inversely, I have very little loyalty to an employer (unless they've stepped up and backed me and instilled in me cause for loyalty). So in my opinion, I'd look out for number one. That means the big money gig for the short term, and later on follow my heart if I could stand the loss of money from the short term gig.

EDJ
    "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Eldiablo summed up exactly (almost word for word) what I would say. You owe no one loyalty but yourself.

You'd be crazy not to take the job. No promises you'll have a job as a leo come 08, might as well make some money and enjoy the wait in the meantime. Not to mention, it would probably look more attractive than working as a bartender on your resume.

My best advice however....don't tell your employer or anyone there that you are planning to leave to pursue another career. Wait until you have to tell them because they are offering you a position or doing your BI.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3625 users online. 229 members and 3396 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X