300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My checkered past

Hi, this is probably the 10000th 'I screwed up' topic but here is my dirty laundry:

I'm a 23 year old guy from Michigan and I was convicted of DUI when I was 19 and then got another DUI when I was 20 both were misdemeanors. I know this is really bad, but I've learned that I am an alcoholic and I can't drink anymore. To make matters worse, I have a 'uncharacterized' discharge from the Air Force when I was 18. The reason for separation is 'Adjustment disorder with depressed mood' with a RE-2C discharge code. I did not finish basic training.

Since my last arrest 3 years ago, I got my life back on track. I've been working as a security guard and I realize I need to get a better job. I'm interested in law enforcement positions in Idaho, Wyoming or another state out west. Money doesn't matter to me, I would do this job for $14-15 an hour. My question is - How long should I wait to apply if at all? Thanks.

You need to give some time between all of this incidents. I say wait until your at least 27 to even think about applying. In that time advance in your job trying to get a supervisor spot. Go back to college and get some schooling under your belt. Only time will clean your past. You just need to show that your taking the steps to better yourself. This carerr is not going anywhere. There will always be job opportunities.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by Elpresador View Post
      Hi, this is probably the 10000th 'I screwed up' topic but here is my dirty laundry:

I'm a 23 year old guy from Michigan and I was convicted of DUI when I was 19 and then got another DUI when I was 20 both were misdemeanors. I know this is really bad, but I've learned that I am an alcoholic and I can't drink anymore. To make matters worse, I have a 'uncharacterized' discharge from the Air Force when I was 18. The reason for separation is 'Adjustment disorder with depressed mood' with a RE-2C discharge code. I did not finish basic training.

Since my last arrest 3 years ago, I got my life back on track. I've been working as a security guard and I realize I need to get a better job. I'm interested in law enforcement positions in Idaho, Wyoming or another state out west. Money doesn't matter to me, I would do this job for $14-15 an hour. My question is - How long should I wait to apply if at all? Thanks.
      For my department I'd tell you don't bother applying. EVER. You racked up TWO DUIs before you were even old enough to legally drink. WTF? The discharge for failure to adjust is just the cherry on top.

Three years since your last conviction might seem like a long time to you, but from a hiring standpoint it's considered very recent. Most respectable agencies would probably require a minimum of 7 to 10 years since your last infraction before they would even entertain your application. That said, some small agency in rural Wyoming might give you a chance earlier than that.

Comment

Sorry but I would suggest another line of work to you.
        Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
        President Ronald Reagan

All we ask is to be let alone.
        President Jefferson Davis

Comment

I'm a 23 year old guy from Michigan and I was convicted of DUI when I was 19 and then got another DUI when I was 20 both were misdemeanors. I know this is really bad, but I've learned that I am an alcoholic and I can't drink anymore.

Personally I can not think of any agency that is going to give you a serious look with 2 DUI's on your record.

Originally posted by Elpresador;n6649012
          To make matters worse, I have a 'uncharacterized' discharge from the Air Force when I was 18. The reason for separation is '[U
          Adjustment disorder with depressed mood' [/U]with a RE-2C discharge code. I did not finish basic training.
          While not "disqualifying" by the rules ............ this type of discharge is also pretty much a death sentence for a LE career. This would raise so many red flags on your application in so many categories that a Background Investigator's head is going to spin.

[QUOTE=Elpresador;n6649012
          My question is - How long should I wait to apply if at all? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You most likely won't get hired as a police officer anywhere because of your past. Even if some agency could get past your history it is MUCH too recent. Like a minimum of 10 yrs too recent
          1. Adjustment disorder with depressed mood' If you were so depressed 5 yrs ago that you couldn't complete your military contract you would probably have a hard time passing the psychological testing portion of the process
          2. DUI #1 4 yrs is way too recent.
          3. DUI # 2 3 yrs is way too recent and way too close to DUI #1. Yes I know you realize you have a problem with alcohol and am sure you are taking steps to rectify your behavior .........but you are again talking about way too soon to be considered a viable candidate.

Even if by chance an agency would consider you..................your competition is going to be military combat veterans with stellar backgrounds ...............You will be so far down the list of possibilities that I just can't see you being viable .

Good luck in your future

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I appreciate the responses.. I am planning on speaking to an Army recruiter soon to try and do something good while I wait.

Comment

I appreciate the responses.. I am planning on speaking to an Army recruiter soon to try and do something good while I wait.
              2 DUI s is a lifetime DQ here.

I Don't think the Army is the right direction you want to take if you couldn't hack Air Force basic. An Army enlistment isn't something you take on while 'you wait.'

Have you considered talking to a career counselor? Why punish yourself trying to fit into a mold you probably aren't fit for?

If you have depression, you're in good company. Abraham Lincoln, FDR among others. There is no shame in it.
              Last edited by Zeitgeist; 05-24-2018, 01:25 PM.
              Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

If you couldn't handle the Air Force what makes you think you can handle the Army?

Why not go to college or a technical trade school?
                Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
                President Ronald Reagan

All we ask is to be let alone.
                President Jefferson Davis

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post

If you couldn't handle the Air Force what makes you think you can handle the Army?

Why not go to college or a technical trade school?
                  That is a good point.

Comment

2 DUI convictions is an automatic DQ with my agency, LASD.
                    sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
                    -George Orwell

Comment

With the military drawdown I don't think the Army will even take you... they would probably laugh you out of the office... really? Couldn't handle Air Force basic?? I went through in 04 and it isn't THAT hard... The 2 DUIs alone would throw a red flag to a recruiter nowadays
                      USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                      "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                      DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

One DUI is already a wobbler after 8-10 years of good behaviour. Two (especially within five years) will disqualify you from every reputable department in the US. You admitting to be an alcoholic just makes it worse given the rates of alcoholism in this job.

The discharge from basic training is your final nail in the coffin of the two DUIs didn’t screw you already. If you can’t handle SIMULATED stress conditions, how can you be expected to handle REAL stress conditions? Law enforcement has a paramilitary culture FYI.

Go find another profession. You don’t need to be a cop to succeed in life.

Comment

Based on the information you provided, and assuming that this is legit and not a troll post, i would suggest waiting it out 5 years minimum. That being said, it would behoove you to not have any more traffic convictions, another sip of booze, and to maintain a solid employee record at the same employer with a spectacular file, i.e, squeaky clean, nothing but atta boys.

Comment

Are you in Southeast Michigan? Wayne County Sheriff is hiring like crazy.
                            Originally posted by RSGSRT
                            We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                            Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post

Are you in Southeast Michigan? Wayne County Sheriff is hiring like crazy.
                              Yes. I don't think even Wayne county would give me the time of day at this point I recently was promoted to a supervisory role at work so I'll check back in about 5 years. Thanks guys

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6677 users online. 210 members and 6467 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X