Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Veterans/military preference on police app for National Guard?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veterans/military preference on police app for National Guard?

Hello everyone,

I got a question concerning service in the National Guard on an law enforcement application and receiving a military preference. I am planning on enlisting later this year and I have found out that by federal law, Guard members don't receive the same "veterans preference" on applications for Federal employment. This won't stop me from enlisting in the military but I'm just wondering; Is this the same for when applying to LOCAL law enforcement? Or will I be able to receive some type of preference in the application process?

I know I'd be able to list my service under "work experience" and also other military certifications on an application but I'm just curious to know if I'd receive any preferences. I've been told it's probably different for every department, but just wondering if anyone can give me a better answer.

Thanks

You can’t list it until you’ve DONE it.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Getting Veteran's Preference points are usually regulated by the Civil Service Commission of the city you are applying for (assuming they are civil service). They usually only grant those points to active duty. Whoever told you that it's different for every department was spot on. It's best to figure out where you want to work and then ask them if you qualify. Best of luck

Comment

Depends upon your state and the veterans preference laws. In Pennsylvania, veterans preference is given to guard and reserve members once their enlistment is up. Veterans Preference is also not allowed to be used for promotional testing
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Yep it's going to vary from department to department and state to state. The application should define what they considers a veteran and if any preference is given.
          I've seen some give it to all veterans, some specified active duty service for 90 days or more in an overseas theater, some required a year on active duty etc for guard and reservists.

If you are enlisting with "veteran preference" points in mind you'll probably be wasting your time. So far it has never made a difference for me.
          Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
          President Ronald Reagan

All we ask is to be let alone.
          President Jefferson Davis

Comment

I applied to over 25 different departments before I got hired. Every single department I applied with only gave veterans preference during the written exam and in a few cases, the interview.

The veterans preference isnt what will make you a good candidate. It’s the life and job experience you will gain from joining the military that will help you in backgrounds.

Comment

Originally posted by mikbiggs123 View Post
              Hello everyone,

I got a question concerning service in the National Guard on an law enforcement application and receiving a military preference. I am planning on enlisting later this year and I have found out that by federal law, Guard members don't receive the same "veterans preference" on applications for Federal employment. This won't stop me from enlisting in the military but I'm just wondering; Is this the same for when applying to LOCAL law enforcement? Or will I be able to receive some type of preference in the application process?

I know I'd be able to list my service under "work experience" and also other military certifications on an application but I'm just curious to know if I'd receive any preferences. I've been told it's probably different for every department, but just wondering if anyone can give me a better answer.

Thanks
              Here, you get veteran's preference if you were active duty (training does not count) more than 6 months.

In terms of getting hired: Be willing to move. Some places are hiring like crazy and can't get enough applicants, others have 400 applications for 2 positions.
              Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10914 users online. 402 members and 10512 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X