Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy self-sponsor OR non-certified applicant

Hello everyone,

I am currently debating what would be the best use of my time/ quickest way to begin a career as an LEO.

Quick bio:
    I live in South Florida and Ill be 22 years old in July. I'll be obtaining my Bachelor's degree in August. I've had only 3 jobs and have been employed since I was 16, all in great standing with supervisors(current and former). My first job at 16 I worked for 3 years and left for security (thinking it would help me for LEO...) and I am still currently employed as a security guard. Other job was a seasonal overnight position I just did for 1 summer. Also currently I'm doing an 8 month internship as an investigator at the public defenders office, which has exposed me to the CJ system greatly. I can also speak and understand Spanish very well.

I attended a police expo at my university and 2 departments told me I should apply for their non-certified positions..... For one dept, my application wasn't selected. The other I completed the initial background info and required documents and then was not selected to continue (Still don't know why, I had multiple ppl proof-read to ensure it was fully completed). I would love to get sponsored and hired by a dept but I know it's highly competitive, considering I hear they usually hire military or older more experienced ppl for the non-cert positions.

Many departments are hiring non-certified in South Florida right now and more will be in upcoming months (e.g- BSO, Boca, Sunrise, Plantation, Coral Gables, Ft. Lauderdale, Lauderhill). Do you guys think it would be more beneficial for me to apply non-cert and HOPE to get selected to continue the hiring process, or just say screw it and put myself through the academy and not waste my time waiting to hear back from the departments OR be denied by multiple departments.

Sorry to ramble, just wanna hear from you guys/gals what you chose to do or think whats best for me. I don't like to waste my time and I wanna go the route that'll best set me up to begin a career in LE.

Thanks

Originally posted by mikbiggs123 View Post
    Sorry to ramble, just wanna hear from you guys/gals what you chose to do or think whats best for me. I don't like to waste my time and I wanna go the route that'll best set me up to begin a career in LE.

Thanks
    The LE hiring process EVERYWHERE is one big hurry up and wait game
    You are going to be wasting time until you get your first offer

It already sounds like you aren't really a stellar candidate if you have been non selected by two agencies for non sworn jobs................I really think putting yourself through an academy might be more than a waste of TIME..........It could be a waste of MONEY
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Well I beg to differ when it comes to my chances of EVER getting hired. I’ve met multiple officers down here that have been denied by depts and kept applying to others and got hired. I believe the main reason I was denied was because I was too young or the lack of education/military experience. I also applied to highly competitive departments which was a MAJOR mistake on my part. My background is clean with the exception of minor marijuana usage in high school (under 5 times).

Comment

Originally posted by mikbiggs123 View Post
        Well I beg to differ when it comes to my chances of EVER getting hired. I’ve met multiple officers down here that have been denied by depts and kept applying to others and got hired. I believe the main reason I was denied was because I was too young or the lack of education/military experience. I also applied to highly competitive departments which was a MAJOR mistake on my part. My background is clean with the exception of minor marijuana usage in high school (under 5 times).
        Where did I say anything about you EVER getting hired.
        I simply stated that you obviously are not a stellar candidate if you can't even get hired as a non sworn officer

Reading comprehension counts
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• mikbiggs123
          mikbiggs123 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry to contest the advice given. Usually my comprehension doesn’t fail me.....Just wondering if you’re implying that I should hold off from applying all together until I obtain the necessary experience.

OP- re-read what Iowa said then read it again. One issues is your 22 with little to no life experience expect for your three jobs and college. Look at the pool.of applicants right now. Several vets looking for work, many combat vets. Folks older in life. Departments look at all of that. Very rarely is a 22 year old hired on especially for small departments where they get several applications for 1 job.

Mistake number 2 is arguing with advice given, especially from a forum member who's been around here for YEARS and posted pages of advice.
        I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

This is the generation that demands gratification...
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Not necessarily for OP: Self-sponsorship with no experience does not make you a lateral applicant.

Comment

Any joe snuffy can work as a security guard. It’s not a hard job at all. You should either go get your Bachelor’s degree or join the military for a few years. Either one will give you a leg up and make you much more likely to be hired.

Comment

• mikbiggs123
                mikbiggs123 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for your answer. Yeah ill be getting my Bachelors in August and I've been strongly considering enlisting in National Guard after graduation.

• NorCalAspirant
                NorCalAspirant commented
                Editing a comment
                The Bachelors degree should be enough man. I have a BS degree and I’m more educated than about half the department.

Once you have your degree you should be able to get in with a department somewhere. I would not spend the time and money required on a self-sponsored academy until you've tried applying to other departments. You should keep asking why you were not selected. Are you only looking in South Florida?

Comment

• mikbiggs123
                mikbiggs123 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for your response. Yeah Im trying to stay local in the tri-county area but willing to re-locate to central florida possibly.

It can't hurt to apply as non-certified. You get paid to attend the academy AND you don't have to worry about wasting the time/money if self sponsoring and not ever being hired. As far as speed is concerned, it's still quite a process to get into an academy as self-sponsored... it's basically just as tedious as getting hired by an agency. You don't just sign up like a college course and show up when the academy starts.

There are plenty of candidates 22 years old and younger with no military experience and no bachelor's degrees that get hired by the departments in South Florida as certified and non-certified. You speak Spanish, have a decent work history for being 22, and will have a bachelor's shortly... don't let your first two departments destroy your confidence. If it doesn't work out, just self-sponsor and you've lost nothing but gained experience about the hiring process.

Comment

In some parts of FL they won't even look at you until you graduate from an academy. At least that's how it was when I lived down there.
                Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
                President Ronald Reagan

All we ask is to be let alone.
                President Jefferson Davis

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8539 users online. 372 members and 8167 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X