Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will my boyfriend be Disqualified from NY State Police?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my boyfriend be Disqualified from NY State Police?

My boyfriend has always wanted to be a trooper. He took the written test to be a candidate for the NY State Police and is waiting for his results. I know they are really really strict about offenses, especially recent ones.

Unfortunately, last night my boyfriend got in a bit of trouble with the law. He was driving home at night and he got pulled over. He was ticketed for driving with a blown out tail light.

He's really crushed that this is going to hurt his chance of getting to be a trooper. I'm heartbroken to see his dream getting crushed...but can anyone tell me, if he does get called, will this hurt his chance of getting to be a trooper a lot? Or does he still have a chance even with something so recent?

Getting a ticket for a tail light is not "trouble with the law". He probably didn't know it was out. Shouldn't be a problem unless he doesn't tell the BI.

Comment

Originally posted by concernedgf2 View Post
      My boyfriend has always wanted to be a trooper. He took the written test to be a candidate for the NY State Police and is waiting for his results. I know they are really really strict about offenses, especially recent ones.

Unfortunately, last night my boyfriend got in a bit of trouble with the law. He was driving home at night and he got pulled over. He was ticketed for driving with a blown out tail light.

He's really crushed that this is going to hurt his chance of getting to be a trooper. I'm heartbroken to see his dream getting crushed...but can anyone tell me, if he does get called, will this hurt his chance of getting to be a trooper a lot? Or does he still have a chance even with something so recent?
      You AND your boyfriend need to relax. You guys are "crushed" and "heartbroken" because he received a ticket for a broken tail light? It's a simple equipment violation that most of the time drivers aren't even aware of until they are pulled over. It's not going to DQ him.

That being said...was there MORE to the traffic stop? I can honestly tell you that in my 20 plus year career I've never given anyone a citation for a broken light...unless 1) the initial stop was for a moving violation (such as speeding) and I was giving them a break by citing only for the equipment violation (lower fine and no points), or 2) They were such unbelievable a-holes that they were just begging for a ticket. As long as neither of tthose scenarios are the case your boyfriend has nothing to worry about. However, he does need to disclose it...or THAT will disqualify him.

Comment

An equipment violation like that is a “fix it” ticket in NY. If he got it Tuesday night then had until sundown yesterday to go fix it and bring the car to any precinct, have them verify that it was fixed, and submit the paperwork with the ticket to have it dismissed. Regardless of whether he did that or not, an equipment violation such as a taillight is not going to impact his background investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by concernedgf2 View Post

We are human and none are perfect, we all make mistakes and have made some bad decisions. A busted taillight is most likely something unbeknownst to him. All my taillights for all I know could be out and I wouldn’t know until I get pulled over. It’s one of those things you just don’t check.

Police departments arent looking for perfect candidates, they are looking for quality candidates who are honest.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13702 users online. 500 members and 13202 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X