Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to approach background interviews?

Many of the forum members here have seen my posts over the years asking questions pertaining to background issues.

Theres no question that in spite of no felony record and no DUIs, that my history of being charged with more than one misdemeanor level crimes makes me an undesirable candidate to many. Along with the fact that I have points on my license.

I have two very distinctive approaches that I’m thinking about taking: Be brutally honest and straight up tell them “if I were you, I wouldn’t hire me either, but here’s why you should consider me.....” or “I get that my background is problematic, but here’s why you’d should overlook those issues......”.

I don’t plan on pursuing any career aside from law enforcement. If I don’t ever get in, I’m going to be a lifer at the restaurant I currently work at, which would simply mean I have to sleep in the bed I made.

So I’d like to hear from you guys on what would be YOUR approach if you apply to many police departments and made it to background while your background is undoubtedly your biggest hurdle.

You won’t get that far to pitch your case. Find another job. Your “all or nothing” attitude in itself suggests issues that are a flag.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Jkim_1 View Post
      Many of the forum members here have seen my posts over the years asking questions pertaining to background issues.

Theres no question that in spite of no felony record and no DUIs, that my history of being charged with more than one misdemeanor level crimes makes me an undesirable candidate to many. Along with the fact that I have points on my license.

I have two very distinctive approaches that I’m thinking about taking: Be brutally honest and straight up tell them “if I were you, I wouldn’t hire me either, but here’s why you should consider me.....” or “I get that my background is problematic, but here’s why you’d should overlook those issues......”.

I don’t plan on pursuing any career aside from law enforcement. If I don’t ever get in, I’m going to be a lifer at the restaurant I currently work at, which would simply mean I have to sleep in the bed I made.

So I’d like to hear from you guys on what would be YOUR approach if you apply to many police departments and made it to background while your background is undoubtedly your biggest hurdle.
      Saved....

Comment

"Over the years"? Looks like you've only been a forum member for a little over a year...

I don't remember your prior posts (and frankly am too lazy to sift through your post history)...so would you mind refreshing my/our memory as to your background issues?

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
          You won’t get that far to pitch your case. Find another job. Your “all or nothing” attitude in itself suggests issues that are a flag.
          Meh. It could be interpreted in different ways.

Clearly I have gotten that far.

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

"Over the years"? Looks like you've only been a forum member for a little over a year...

I don't remember your prior posts (and frankly am too lazy to sift through your post history)...so would you mind refreshing my/our memory as to your background issues?
            I’ve been arrested for pot twice (both very small amounts) and got charged with harassment (the complainant was a police officer whom I personally knew) but charges were dropped.

I dont exactly remember what I posted in the first time but I mentioned how I was “investigated” on another occasion for possession of marijuana where the officer who charged me, dropped the complaint before court. And a case of where a female motorist almost hit my car, crossed double yellow lines to pass me, and spouted out racial slurs, and then took my plate down and signed a complaint against me for “assault”.... Not only were the charges dropped because of her ridiculous and embarrassing testimony, it turns out she was a convicted felon (for CC fraud) and she’s in jail for filing a false police report and bias intimidation (which I charged with with).

I also currently have six points on my NJ driver’s license. Every year if you don’t commit a moving violation, three points are taken off.

Simply put, I wouldn’t hire myself. Nevertheless, I’d like to be DQ’ed or non-selected as gracefully as possible just to look at myself in the mirror and tell myself that I tried.

Comment

I’ve been arrested for pot twice (both very small amounts) and got charged with harassment (the complainant was a police officer whom I personally knew) but charges were dropped.

I dont exactly remember what I posted in the first time but I mentioned how I was “investigated” on another occasion for possession of marijuana where the officer who charged me, dropped the complaint before court. And a case of where a female motorist almost hit my car, crossed double yellow lines to pass me, and spouted out racial slurs, and then took my plate down and signed a complaint against me for “assault”.... Not only were the charges dropped because of her ridiculous and embarrassing testimony, it turns out she was a convicted felon (for CC fraud) and she’s in jail for filing a false police report and bias intimidation (which I charged with with).

I also currently have six points on my NJ driver’s license. Every year if you don’t commit a moving violation, three points are taken off.

Simply put, I wouldn’t hire myself. Nevertheless, I’d like to be DQ’ed or non-selected as gracefully as possible just to look at myself in the mirror and tell myself that I tried.
              So basically you're a habitual pothead and sh*tty driver with a tendency to get into altercations.

Sorry, bud...but there's not going to be anything "graceful" about your DQ. No agency in the tri-state area is going to touch you with that background.

Comment

Simply put, I wouldn’t hire myself
                Within five minutes of a panel interview, that sentiment will be a bright neon sign on your forehead.

I’d like to be DQ’ed or non-selected as gracefully as possible just to look at myself in the mirror and tell myself that I tried.
                Well, nothing ventured in life, nothing gained. I get that.

Here's the deal: applicants will be sorted into two piles, one pile is short and the other is tall. It's not easy to be placed in the short pile. It's very easy to get placed in the tall pile though.
                One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

I remember your posts from a year ago. You blamed everyone else for your actions and made it sound like there was a huge conspiracy against you.

Go in and test and get to the interview process so they can tell you "No" to your face. Hopefully then you will be satisfied. I know of no agency who hires based on quirky interview tactics. Or better yet stand by your mailbox and wait for the rejection letter. You have a criminal record, smoke pot, and can't drive a car safely. You would be a huge liability to any department.

There's a lot of people that apply and you're just another bad applicant in the stack. Being hellbent on a career that is not a good fit for you and already relegating yourself to being a "lifer" at some restaurant because of it? If I were you I'd start looking in the mirror asap.

Comment

Well...I certainly can't ADD to THAT!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13704 users online. 501 members and 13203 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X