300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chances of passing background check?

Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum and I have a question. I would love to become a police officer for a city in northern Illinois but unfortunately I made some poor choices as a young lad. When I was 18 (26 now) I was arrested with possession of marijuana, under 1.5 grams. I was put on court supervision and after I completed court supervision the case was dismissed as a non conviction. That’s not all though. Five years ago I was also arrested for dui. That case was also dropped due to me being on private property. The police never actually witnessed me driving the car but I did tell them that I moved the car from one parking lot to another. I was initially parked in the bar parking lot but a gang fight broke out, which is not uncommon in Rockford Illinois. I then made the decision to move my car to a safer location (poor decision). My friends then started arguing because they were heavily I toxicated and somehow ended up in the middle of the street. A squad car passed by I’m assuming heading to the gang brawl and noticed them so pulled in and gave me a dui. Sorry this was so long but any advice would be appreciated. I apologize for any grammatical errors for I am typing this on my cell phone. Will any of this jam me up in the hiring process?

Unsure what the law is in Illinois but you can be arrested for DUI on private property here. You're a borderline candidate. 5 yrs since your offense is a good thing. Time is your friend. Be willing to move. Alot of agencies are hiring like crazy, others not at all.
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

• Billbob92
      Billbob92 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your reply! You can be arrested on private property in Illinois so I’m not sure how it was dropped. I still had to pay the fine and go to the class. The judge just said that it won’t be on my record but if I get a second one then it’ll count as my second? So I’m not sure. Long story short just don’t drink and drive! Yeah it was awhile ago which I hope helps. I have since then have been working for the hospital for 3 Years now and it’s a great job but im looking to move on. I have recently bought a home in the town I want to apply to and coincidentally live next door to the ex chief of police. I also have become good friends with a police officer who said that I should apply. Our town is always under staffed and has a lot of turn over. I’ll give it a shot. I feel that I have good moral integrity and would love to serve my city as a police officer.

The drugs would probably be a minor road bump, but the DUI would be a major one, regardless of the circumstances.

Id say you need at least 7-10 years time since the DUI before you would be considered for employment.

What can you bring to the table that others can’t?

Comment

• Billbob92
      Billbob92 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah that’s what I was afraid of but I understand the importance of being a responsible driver. Jumping in that car was one of the si glue most stupid things I’ve done. I actually had a DD for that night but I later found out he ran across the street to the McDonald’s... unfortunate I suppose. What do I bring to the table? Well I don’t know about the other people but I know that I am a very trustworthy person. Always have been. I have great work ethic and can hold a job. I am a home owner, don’t know if that helps or not. I have great credit. Good head on my shoulders hahah. I don’t know it’ll be up to the police station if I would be a liability or not. Thank you for your reply!

I am going to agree with BP3 that the DUI is the problem. Like Zeitgeist stated .............time will be your friend BUT your competition is going to be the real problem .

You will be competing with candidates that have NEITHER of the two situations in their background . Unless you have some superpower or major league plus in resume................you are not going to be a top pick unless you find a place that is really hurting for help.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

You have two substance related issues in less than 10 years. Starting a pattern and departments would see you as a liability. Get 10 years clean and give it a try.
      Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

so what you guys are pretty much saying is I’m $&@! out of luck! Hah alright, I’ll wait a couple more years and try and see where that gets me. Thanks for the reply’s!

Comment

Originally posted by Billbob92 View Post
          so what you guys are pretty much saying is I’m $&@! out of luck! Hah alright, I’ll wait a couple more years and try and see where that gets me. Thanks for the reply’s!
          Nah, go and apply for Honolulu PD. They’re short a whole bunch of officers and the new chief is determined to get up to full strength. www.HonoluluPD.org

Own your mistakes and be straight with the BI and you should do OK. Your only challenge in applying to Honolulu PD is the 3 or more trips it will take to get all of the required testing and interviews done.

Good luck!
          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

I’d like to ask a question somewhat pertaining to what the OP was asking:

I don’t have a clean driving record, and even took a defensive driving course online to lower my points. However, no DUIs. Will someone with a single DUI but no points on their license have a better chance than one with a lot of points but no DUI and no license suspension? I ask because I know a guy on the force in NJ who had two DUIs (one as a minor) but one of the reason why he got on was because he had little traffic violations aside from the DUIs... and of course a hook.

Comment

You can always apply now and see where it gets you. If this particular department is severely understaffed and has trouble retaining officers (as you've mentioned), then you may have a shot there. Of course the flip side is that there are usually reasons for the high turnover rate, so you might want to investigate those.

Most desirable departments would probably pass on you now, but there are plenty of agencies across the country that are in desperate need of bodies. Unfortunately, since you've just purchased a home, you've pretty much put all your eggs in one basket...which was an incredibly dumb move if you were serious about wanting to become a cop. Was the cop thing just an afterthought??

Comment

Billbob92

Not having a crystal ball nor familiar with hiring practices or mindset of agencies in your venue, I can only speculate if your past will “jam you up in the hiring process”.

However, I agree with my practiced colleague not.in.My.town. "Most desirable departments would probably pass on you now, but there are plenty of agencies across the country that are in desperate need of bodies."

Members who have been around the block a few times, familiar with the anatomy of a background investigation and as Iowa once notably coined “Departments of last resort” recognize applicants with questionable backgrounds can and do find their way into law enforcement.
                My 2cent….
                Last edited by BTDT2; 04-24-2018, 05:10 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Okay, I’ll apply here and to Rockford. Reason I bought a house was where I live it’s actually cheaper in the long run plus interest rates aren’t going to be at 4% forever. I bought a nice home in a nice part of town and got it for a steal. I’ve done a lot of work to it already and would have no problem flipping it for a profit. I also am applying for the ibew currently so I have choices. I also live in a town where the police arnt paid as much as say Rockford or Chicago which are not that far away from me. I tend to think most young officers eventually move to one of those two cities I mentioned. I have always wanted to be a police officer but I also have to have a back up just in case it doesn’t work out. If they for some reason I have to move which I plan on doing eventually anyways, I should have no problem in doing so.

Comment

Honolulu seems like a nice place!

Comment

Honolulu seems like a nice place!
                      Are you an HI native? If not, your chances are already lowered.
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Okay, so I need to sell my house. Go to a crap city full of gang and violence that needs all the bodies they can get. Pray they think I’m not a liability AND become Hawaiian! K, I got this!

Comment

Okay, so I need to sell my house. Go to a crap city full of gang and violence that needs all the bodies they can get. Pray they think I’m not a liability AND become Hawaiian! K, I got this!
                          No. You just have better chance of getting hired where there is a shortage of applicants. Atlanta PD my pick you up. They need police. The Super Bowl will be here in 2019. You could work here 2-3 yrs and then lateral. It's scary how fast that time will go by. Weigh those options. If you have a wife, run it past her.
                          Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5646 users online. 182 members and 5464 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X