300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FT Partner or FTO?

Hi everyone! New to the forums and new to LE =) Just completed ad passed all my prerequisites (PT,Poly,BI,Boad Interview etc..) and start academy in 30days to become a Reserve here at my agency.

We are required to go through the same exact process as FT LEOs but at the end of training we have the choice to be a permanent partner and ride with another deputy or do our FTO and get a car, write tickets etc.. I would love to do my FTO but would I be able to do this and work my other job (just until the agency has FT openings of course!) having to take the car home and all? Maybe this is a stupid question but I just really want to be as Full Time Esque as possible and still be able to work at my other job until a FT position opens. Maybe I cant bake the cake and eat it too =P

Any opinions are appreciated and thanks in advance all!

It sounds like going the FTO route is the one to take if you are seeking a permanent full time job with that agency. You would be getting more training and education from an FTO, and not just filling the passenger seat in the car.

If you want to be a FT cop, go for it.

SDT
    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

At the Agency I will be starting at its few and far between before a FT position opens so it may be a while. Is it possible to work a 40hour week and complete FTO? Im just worried about providing for my family. I dont want to end up losing one or both of the positions because I cant balance the two equally. Believe me, I want to be a FT LEO as much as anything but the wife is one of those "if it aint written and notarized and promised" its not solid enough, so I kinda have to balance that too LOL. Thanks SDT!

Comment

Originally posted by KingArthur462
        Is it possible to work a 40hour week and complete FTO?
        Seems to me that taking the FTO route would be a full time job. So one of your two full time jobs would have to have very flexible hours, either the LE job or your current job.

In my agency, I would say no, it's not possible. But I don't know about your agency.
        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Guess Ill just suck it up and make the decision at end of academy. Im sure I will choose FT when the time comes and ide much rather do LE than sit behind a desk all day. Thanks again SDT

Comment

Tough break.

I would say go FTO route. You should have a good idea before the time comes as to whether they anticipate any openings in the near future. If they don't the real question is how long you can beat yourself down waiting for a spot to open.

On the other hand, having your own car and doing the job instead of being a passenger may make the difference at the end of the day considering the responsibility of showing them what "you" can do, not "us".

Comment

At the end of the day, you're going to have to make the call. As a former FTO Supervisor I can tell you that a good FTO program is very demanding, and requires 100% effort from the student Officer. Successful completion of the FTO program is usually a condition of continued employment. There are several different FTO formats, and I'm not conversant with the one your agency employs. That said, I repeat my caution concerning 100% effort on your part. It's very possible, that you'll be required to do "homework" assignments, remedial study and training, and take periodic written tests. All of these in addition to your regular tour of duty. To do all of this will require a considerable degree of dedication on your part, and an equal degree of understanding from your spouse and family. I sincerely hope things work out for you, and that this opportunity leads to even better things for you. Good luck!!

Comment

Thanks for all the input everyone! I believe that from the responses I will, in fact, choose to do go through the FTO. Hell, ill quit my "desk" job but ill open up a whole new world of a job i can actually be proud of doing!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6533 users online. 361 members and 6172 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X