300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From FBI Academy to LE?

Hi all and thanks for reading this. I am 40, work in Information Technology and finally told myself that I need to make the move into LE. This has always been on my mind and I want to ask the professionals out there a question? Do you think it's crazy, absolutely absurd to even think about getting into LE at the age of 40?
    I know what will be asked of me when it comes to physical and mental skills as I completed 13 of 16 weeks in Quantico FBI academy before personal issues with my marriage forced me to leave the academy. Thing is once I got back from the academy I got back into the computer - IT thing. Now at 40 I have the itch (always had the itch) to take a few classes and try to get into the LE field but want to see what you all feel about doing it - and at 40 yrs old. It's a dream that I had in 1999 but felt marriage was more important then the academy. Well, on my 2nd marriage my wife is 110% supportive because she knows how my dream was ripped from me and she wants me to go for it.
    What do you all think? Is 40 cutting it close or should I just stick to the IT stuff. Hey cops can use a good IT guy right:-) All I can say is that I want to give it a try. I don't want any regrets later in life. No one should have regrets! However, if everyone in here feels I should throw in the towel then maybe I need to re-evaluate myself.
    Thanks in advance!

Go for it by all means. I'm well over 40 and still active. My physical and mental abilities are excellent, and I have maturity and lifes experiences that persons of lesser age don't have. I personally think it is an advantage to have age on your side. You have made most of your "Silly" mistakes and they are out of the way, so get in there and do what you really want to do. Be one of the Best of the Best. Good luck
    Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

why don't you try reserve LE work to see if you'll enjoy it or go on ride alongs? i don't think you'll be eligible for any federal LE work because of your age. i'd advise trying reserve first esp if you make a lot more money in the IT field.

Comment

40 is the cutoff age over here. I'm sure MN has different rules though. However, I am in the academy right now and there are several people in their upper 30's (couple 39 y/o's).
        If you're not too late for the certain department you're looking at, its not too late for you

Comment

Hey all & thanks for the replies. Actually I have done a few ride-alongs and it indeed motivated me to push ahead. The itch started when I was running to the firing range with the MP5, 870 and Glock. Thought I was bad until I saw the DEA next door shooting flippin canons!!! I will be 40 in July and I do know a close friend who is 46 and currently interviewing all over the city & state shortly. Again I am new so I am not sure what you mean cutoff? Are you saying cutoff to take the POST exam or to get into an agency. I think the way it works here is you go through the CJ classes, skills which takes about 1 year. Then you take the POST exam. Once passed you apply to agencies.
          The cutoff for any Fed LE 1811 CI is 37 but the BP (Border Patrol) is 40.

Anyway, thanks for the push. I will contact the school tomorrow and make sure I am ok with the cutoff age thing.

I did learn one thing in the academy. "I would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6"
          Take care all! Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Gophertee
            Hey all & thanks for the replies. Actually I have done a few ride-alongs and it indeed motivated me to push ahead. The itch started when I was running to the firing range with the MP5, 870 and Glock. Thought I was bad until I saw the DEA next door shooting flippin canons!!! I will be 40 in July and I do know a close friend who is 46 and currently interviewing all over the city & state shortly. Again I am new so I am not sure what you mean cutoff? Are you saying cutoff to take the POST exam or to get into an agency. I think the way it works here is you go through the CJ classes, skills which takes about 1 year. Then you take the POST exam. Once passed you apply to agencies.
            The cutoff for any Fed LE 1811 CI is 37 but the BP (Border Patrol) is 40.

Anyway, thanks for the push. I will contact the school tomorrow and make sure I am ok with the cutoff age thing.

I did learn one thing in the academy. "I would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6"
            Take care all! Terry
            In Chicago, you must enter the Academy (attend at least 1 day of classes) before your 40th birthday. I know of someone who went through the 1+ year process, only to have his 40th birthday come 1 week prior to the first day of the academy, thus disqualifying him.

Comment

you can always come to CA, there's not cutoff age..

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the FBI deal.
                I'd wager a department will pick you up pretty quickly though.
                40 is not old these days. Randy Couture is fighting in the UFC at 43 years old .
                People on the street will treat you better than us guys in their 20's.

Not to make you feel old...but I was 17 when you attended the FBI academy .

good luck!

Comment

Scratch Your Itch!!!!! Go For It
                  Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

Thanks all for the reply!! 17 years old (holy crap). Anyway I found that MN does not have a age cutoff. Despite the weather here, I might be persuaded to Calif. I think the temp is in the teens..
                    I have to take a few CJ classes and one semester of the skills but I should be good to go and I hope to be picked up. I am not too picky if its city, state or cnty. I will apply to them all!
                    Again thanks for the replies - this is a huge push!!
                    I will keep you all up-to-speed..
                    Terry

Comment

Sounds great! Best of luck, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Gophertee
                        Well, on my 2nd marriage my wife is 110% supportive because she knows how my dream was ripped from me and she wants me to go for it.
                        That's the answer to your question right there.

Keep in mind, however, that financially, you will probably come out worse by starting a new career at age 40. But money isn't everything. If it's your dream (and you know what you're getting into) and the wife is supportive, go for it. Good luck.
                        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2658 users online. 140 members and 2518 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X