300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current LEO Would You Hire Me ?

I know. I know. Another would you hire me question. I'm a current LEO but am looking to start working in my home state of Wisconsin. Be brutally honest, as I don't want to waste my time, your time or any future employers time.

I graduated from a Police Academy in Wisconsin in 2011. I was 20 years old. At that time, I would go to written tests and there would be 350+ people for one job. I knew I would have a tough shot landing a job in law enforcement in Wisconsin so I applied to a department in North Dakota.

I was hired, I moved ten hours away from my family and began working there in Spring of 2012. I worked there until Summer of 2015. I really excelled. I was on the SWAT team, FTO, lead shifts as a Corporal etc. It was busy, gained lots of experience. However, in Spring of 2015 my girlfriend of 7 years broke up with me (I know boo hoo). I began seeing another girl (typical rebound, worst mistake of my life). One night when I was working my girlfriend at the time was at my house. My ex girlfriend went to my house intoxicated and started a verbal alteration with her. They both called me on my cell phone to come there and remove one another. I went there and told my ex to leave and gave my girlfriend a ride to her apartment. Remember, I was on duty at the time. I was the shift leader and had two subordinates on my beat. No Sgt. LT. or anything was working at the time. I was top dog.

That morning I told a Sgt. at shift change what happened and he reported it to the Deputy Chief. I was written up for neglecting my duty and not informing a supervisor at the time. Well deserved, I understand what I did was wrong. I was stupid. They had recommended getting a protection order against my ex for going crazy. I agreed and got a protection order against her.

Fast forward to 2 months later. I had been drinking at a bar and my ex showed up whom I had a protection order against. Drinks were flowing, I began thinking with the wrong "head", a group of people wanted to leave and she was one of them. I left with them. The driver was pulled over and was given a DUI. I got a ride home and reported it to my chief right away. Obviously an internal investigation was started for poss. policy violations]. I was placed on admin leave. I immediately began looking for another job. I got hired with a Sheriff's department and put in my resignation. I started there two weeks later. Summer 2015. I want to say what i did WAS VERY WRONG. I regret it daily and wish I could change my decisions. BUT with that, it lit a fire in me to not let it define me and to become the best person and Officer I could become. I have grown up and am a completely difference person.

Fast forward to present time. 3 years later. I'm 26 years old. I'm an FTO, promoted to Sergeant, Team Leader of a regional SWAT team and have not had one disciplinary action in my entire time here. Not even a verbal reprimand.

I guess my question is... am I wasting my time trying to come home by my family. Does my current success erase the past or at least help it? Sorry for the lengthy post. I hope you all the best and appreciate any future answers.

Edit: possible identifying information.
    Last edited by Dude21; 03-15-2018, 06:47 PM.

Comment

I don’t think you’re necessarily wasting your time applying. You’ve shown with your work in the last 3 years that you’ve matured past those two incidents.

Some picky agencies may turn you down, but not all agencies (including reputable, solid ones) have applicants beating down their doors these days.

You have a good bit to offer any LE agency, and have course-corrected yourself. Give applying a shot.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
        I don’t think you’re necessarily wasting your time applying. You’ve shown with your work in the last 3 years that you’ve matured past those two incidents.

Some picky agencies may turn you down, but not all agencies (including reputable, solid ones) have applicants beating down their doors these days.

You have a good bit to offer any LE agency, and have course-corrected yourself. Give applying a shot.
        I appreciate your response!

I guess that’s the other thing too. Wherever I go, it will hopefully be to a reputable agency. Lol As I want it to be the last place I go, so let’s pray they aren’t too picky! Lol

Comment

What's your concern? You are obviously a current LEO who is eligible to lateral out as you please.

In the first incident, you might have asked a subordinate to handle the situation to avoid any conflict of interest but I don't see any real ethical problem with what you did. With the DUI, it should have been your responsibility to preclude the driver from operating the vehicle (or arresting him if he did so), but again, that was his own decision; you weren't the one driving.

Hopefully you have developed better judgement, but the fact that you were hired and promoted at another agency tells me you'll be fine anywhere you want to apply. Your question is a bit dumb. If you were unemployable, you would be unemployed.
          Last edited by DepTroop; 03-15-2018, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DepTroop View Post
            Your question is a bit dumb. If you were unemployable, you would be unemployed.
            I don’t see the OP’s inquiries as a “dumb” question at all. Just because one is employed in LE does not mean all agencies would hire you, and the OP is simply asking our take on his past to see collectively how other agencies view the seriousness of his past (and how selective, reputable agencies would view him as an applicant).

If anything, I think it’s a question to help prepare him mentally on how agencies he applies to closer to home will view him when they look at the whole picture of his candidacy for employment. That would suggest it’s a logical question to ask to prepare mentally for what’s to come.
            sigpic

Comment

• Dude21
              Dude21 commented
              Editing a comment
              Correct Kimble. I’m getting into the background portion for an agency and obviously this will have to be explained. I was more so looking for other LE opinion as if they were on the hiring board.

Especially since all departments have different standards. Thanks!

Originally posted by DepTroop View Post
            What's your concern? You are obviously a current LEO who is eligible to lateral out as you please.

That situation does NOT necessarily mean that another agency would be willing to hire him with that baggage in his past. Many agencies are still entrenched in hiring only stellar candidates even if they are having trouble finding them

I know several agencies in my area that are simply running short because they have exhausted the hiring list without finding someone they wish to hire.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• DepTroop
              DepTroop commented
              Editing a comment
              Edit- upon re-reading his story, I realized he failed to report his ex violating a court order and/or violated it himself by leaving with her group. Yeah, that'll cost him if I read that right. I still think his resume since then will go a long way.
              Last edited by DepTroop; 03-18-2018, 04:34 AM.

• Dude21
              Dude21 commented
              Editing a comment
              DepTroop. Correct did not report it. What you just stated is obviously my biggest worry and what will definitely be the biggest hurdle in my background. I’m hoping that 3 years in age and maturity along with my resume will help. But! You never know.

• Iowa #1603
              Iowa #1603 commented
              Editing a comment
              DepTroop
              I don't disagree that his "recent past" MIGHT outweigh his earlier problems.

But I am still feeling that he has some past baggage that might bite him in the butt with many agencies

Lemme just say this is the second story in which a girlfriend and/or current girlfriend contributed to issues that were combined with drinking at a local bar....

Ill say it again...

STAHHHHHPPPP

Stop getting involved with people that serve no positive purpose and/or could be considered “bad news”. In your case this person became your ex gf. STILLLL You left with her!?

NEXT... Dont get drunk at your local bar where you are with the community you serve...not good.

Comment

I thank all of you for your responses. They are very much appreciated.

Iowa, I agree with you. I think this past baggage CAN and WILL bite me in the butt, which sucks. BUT that is why I came here to hopefully get some insight and thoughts from people with many more years under their belt, and that is exactly what I got, so thank you.

ShortyJ. Bro, I hear ya. The bar was outside of my jurisdiction. BUT still a dumb decision none the less. You made good points.Definitely lesson learned on the "bad news" people. It was a real eye opener on how the people you surround yourself with can royally F up your life and how things you do outside of work can bleed into your work life.

Can any of you old salty dogs give me advice on how to explain these things? Like what would you like to hear as a future employer out of the mouth of someone who has made such a mistake, besides the truth of course. I have some final interviews coming up, which the background will follow. I obviously am going to be fully transparent and tell them these things in the background interview in full detail, but then how do I follow up after the story. Just leave it be? Try to reiterate how I was young and have since learned my lesson and matured? Try to reiterate my success since then? I just don't want to seem like I'm deflecting or making excuses.
              Last edited by Dude21; 03-22-2018, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude21 View Post
                I thank all of you for your responses. They are very much appreciated.

Iowa, I agree with you. I think this past baggage CAN and WILL bite me in the butt, which sucks. BUT that is why I came here to hopefully get some insight and thoughts from people with many more years under their belt, and that is exactly what I got, so thank you.

ShortyJ. Bro, I hear ya. The bar was outside of my jurisdiction. BUT still a dumb decision none the less. You made good points.Definitely lesson learned on the "bad news" people. It was a real eye opener on how the people you surround yourself with can royally F up your life and how things you do outside of work can bleed into your work life.

Can any of you old salty dogs give me advice on how to explain these things? Like what would you like to hear as a future employer out of the mouth of someone who has made such a mistake, besides the truth of course. I have some final interviews coming up, which the background will follow. I obviously am going to be fully transparent and tell them these things in the background interview in full detail, but then how do I follow up after the story. Just leave it be? Try to reiterate how I was young and have since learned my lesson and matured? Try to reiterate my success since then? I just don't want to seem like I'm deflecting or making excuses.
                Explain them COMPLETELY and in detail . Have ALL the police reports and any documents from your former job and be prepared to furnish them to the BI.
                NORMALLY anything you can do to be up front about "problems" seems to mitigate those problems if you give them up before the BI finds them. Except for obviously disqualifications..............those will kill you no matter how honest you are .

Anything we tell you is really going to depend on the agency and how strict they are....................

FYI to all .....................On Monday I was at court for a suppression hearing. The issue was the dope which was found during an inventory search of a vehicle. The dope was found inside a locked glove compartment ...........inside a "tea container" that was actually a commercial hideaway container

To make a very long story short................the officer who found the dope was asked a BRADY question about a previous job where he was found to be less than perfectly honest (and resigned from that job).

It does happen.

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Dude21
                  Dude21 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agreed. I was able to get a copy of my personnel file which contains the IA report. I will bring that and present it to them if they wish. I agree on the being fully upfront as well. It will also alleviate my stress as I wont have to be worrying about what they will find out, instead I'll just make sure they already know.

Is it bad I dont want them to be strict until after I am hired? haha

https://forum.officer.com/forum/publ...-you-higher-me
                They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

• Langford PR
                  Langford PR commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just can't stop MFing laughing....thanx

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11206 users online. 421 members and 10785 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X