300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former employer/Background question

So long story short, my last job before my current one, in my opinion; I didn’t leave on good terms. I was only there for about a month and a half, left my previous job of 4 years for this one thinking it was a great gig but it was just not a good fit (This wasn’t a job associated with LE). Anyway, I didn’t give two weeks’ notice but I did notify my supervisor, deeming my resignation to be “effective immediately”. I was still a trainee at the time of my resignation and still had another two weeks of training to go. So had I put in my two weeks’ notice, I know for a fact she wouldn’t have kept me on those final two weeks to learn a system I’d never use and as a trainee, she couldn’t give me other duties to fill the time until they got someone else in.

So I have two questions about this former employer of mine… Our background packets ask for all the typical former employer stuff except “did you give proper notice?”…

I worked out my whole explanation for “reason for leaving” but feel like I should offer up the fact that I didn’t give proper notice upon leaving as well. Even though it’s not asked, I’d much rather tell my BI this, than take the chance of having it come up in my interview and look like I was I trying to avoid answering it or cover it up.

Also, (this sorta had a part to do with why I resigned) I missed several days of work due to a family emergency. My employer was exceptionally helpful with it, didn’t penalize me for it and it was a total “take all the time you need” kind of circumstance. But after resigning as abruptly as I did and being so short term, if my attendance comes up, I’m worried how my being gone for several days will ring with the BI. I know HR is real touchy about gratuitously offering up info about former employees, so there’s a chance it may not even be mentioned, but I feel like I should mention this on my own terms too. For the same reasons as stated before.

So just wanted everyone’s take on this…thanks!

Just be upfront.....................

Most Background Investigators are pretty adept at sorting out BS and understand that people have conflicts.

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

^ This .............
      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Cool that’s what I figured. Thanks guys.

Comment

I'd be truthful from the start. The worst thing you can do when applying for a law enforcement agency is lie. What former employers are able to discuss varies by state to my knowledge. I know that in my state they are only permitted to discuss the date you were hired, the date you left, and whether or not you are eligible for rehire.

Comment

Do not try and hide it. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal. Whatever happened then is in the past...trying to deceive is now and they won't like that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6756 users online. 213 members and 6543 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X