Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Background Question (was told to reapply in 6 months)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Question (was told to reapply in 6 months)

I had a background interview with a police agency, a day after they called to schedule my polygraph (I had a good first impression). My polygraph was scheduled this Sunday, my BI calls me today and says thatt admin went over my packet and decided not to go further with me. (Polygraph cancelled). They chose to not disclose as to why, but that if I haven't found an agency in 6 months to reapply.

Whats that exactly mean? Admin just felt that I did not suit there agency? I currently have a psychological exam scheduled for another agency. I am 23, if that matters.

It means you didn’t make the cut. Move on with the next one.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

It means there was something in your packet that met that agency's criteria for disqualification. Because they told you to reapply in six months, it may be something that time will heal. OTOH, it could be something that is a permanent DQ, but because standards may change in the future, they have to tell you to reapply during the next cycle.

Understand also, that standards will vary from agency to agency. What is a DQ with one police department may be perfectly acceptable with another and vice versa. You should apply elsewhere and only after getting several DQs from multiple agencies on your personal history should you consider that perhaps a career in law enforcement is not in the cards for you.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        It means there was something in your packet that met that agency's criteria for disqualification. Because they told you to reapply in six months, it may be something that time will heal. OTOH, it could be something that is a permanent DQ, but because standards may change in the future, they have to tell you to reapply during the next cycle.

Understand also, that standards will vary from agency to agency. What is a DQ with one police department may be perfectly acceptable with another and vice versa. You should apply elsewhere and only after getting several DQs from multiple agencies on your personal history should you consider that perhaps a career in law enforcement is not in the cards for you.
        re-read this a couple times........its good information
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It could've been this scenario:

You were one of numerous applicants for a limited number of openings.
          We like it when lots of people apply.
          You made it past the first filtering rounds.
          So did other people.
          Some of them were selected, because of their background, education, skills, and abilities.
          Some of them were selected because they had inside connections, or for affirmative action purposes.
          So the agency felt it unnecessary to drop $1,000 on a polygraph for you (and probably other people) because current personnel needs have been met.
          But thank you for applying and if you haven't been picked up somewhere else in six months, please re-apply.
          Because we like it when lots of people apply.
          And then we'll go through the exercise again.

That's kinda how the hiring cycle works....

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.

-Elbert Hubbard

Comment

I see, also so the other agency I'm currently in the process for is a Sheriffs County, however the last step is the background investigation. I have passed my Written/Physical test via a civil service agency, as well as my oral board/chiefs interview/polygraph. Psychological will be at the end of this month.

What I'm curious to ask is why do some agencies do the background as the very last step?

Comment

What I'm curious to ask is why do some agencies do the background as the very last step?

Because it ties up valuable resources. Detectives have to stop working on criminal investigations to track down your neighbors, former employers, college roommates and your 9th grade Social Studies teacher to ask a bunch of questions about you.

-Elbert Hubbard

Comment

Also, it's actually preferred as the last step by many applicants. That way your current employer doesn't know you are in the hunt for a new job until the very end of the process. The alternative is they get contacted at the onset, then for several months you get the joy of working somewhere that knows you're trying to leave. Trust me, you'd rather have the limbo period be as short as possible...

-Elbert Hubbard

Comment

• Madacol
                  Madacol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ah, I can definitely see that.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7732 users online. 304 members and 7428 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X