Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I just a Nerd?

Hello Everyone,

I'm applying to a local department in roughly a month from now. I have been diligently studying for the civil service exam as well as getting all my references and other ancillary paperwork together. I went to an open house for prospective applicants during the previous application cycle and no one that I met there seemed to be preparing for the written civil service exam. Therefore, I have two questions:

1.) Am I correct in my assumption that the civil service exam carries significant weight in the decision to hire a new officer and is therefore worth studying for?

2.) Are the candidates you're seeing make it through the process studying for the exam, or are the results of the exam less pertinent to the hiring decision than I'm anticipating?

Thanks,
    2525E6

1) Unless you pass the civil service exam you cant get hired............so yes it is a significant part of the process

2) It all depends on the person , their experiences, and the test involved.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

To answer your other question 'am I just a nerd?'
      Bet I can beat you in that category. I have a Ham Radio License, makes me a licensed nerd, so THERE!
      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by 2525E6 View Post
        Hello Everyone,

I'm applying to a local department in roughly a month from now. I have been diligently studying for the civil service exam as well as getting all my references and other ancillary paperwork together. I went to an open house for prospective applicants during the previous application cycle and no one that I met there seemed to be preparing for the written civil service exam. Therefore, I have two questions:

1.) Am I correct in my assumption that the civil service exam carries significant weight in the decision to hire a new officer and is therefore worth studying for?

2.) Are the candidates you're seeing make it through the process studying for the exam, or are the results of the exam less pertinent to the hiring decision than I'm anticipating?

Thanks,
        2525E6
        The higher you score on the civil service exam, the faster you will be hired.

The difference between scoring a 95 or 98% could be a few months to a few years waiting difference for the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
          To answer your other question 'am I just a nerd?'
          Bet I can beat you in that category. I have a Ham Radio License, makes me a licensed nerd, so THERE!
          Hmmmmmmmmm

Wonder who else has one of those

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Hmmmmmmmmm

Wonder who else has one of those
            Got your back my friend! 73
            Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

The test here just makes you available for interviewing. Passing is passing. But I would rather do the best possibly stand out then some of the others humps.
              Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Could be because the test is Pass/fail.
                Or the test could be so easy/basic that the majority of serious applicants don’t need to study which is definitely the case for the majority of LE written tests in Ca.

If I were you I’d focus on passing the interview portion. The test just gives you a number. The interview shows you as a person.

Comment

I have always studied for for my civil exams when I was first trying to get into the profession. Not only is it not strange to study you SHOULD be studying. Agencies want applicants who take the process seriously and based on the specific department your score could be the difference between getting hired or not or as BP3 stated the difference between getting hired now or next year.

Comment

Originally posted by CompanyMan View Post
                    I have always studied for for my civil exams when I was first trying to get into the profession. Not only is it not strange to study you SHOULD be studying. Agencies want applicants who take the process seriously and based on the specific department your score could be the difference between getting hired or not or as BP3 stated the difference between getting hired now or next year.
                    Example:

One of the nearby County PD’s is civil service based. Applicants who scored 98-100 received a lower list number than others who scored 97 and under. The 98-100 were processed and called for the academy within 1-2 years. 97-95 were called 3-4 years and 95 and under were either called 5 years later or not called at all due to their list number expiring. One or two point score could be the difference between 1-5 years.

Every stage of the process is performance/professionalism based, you’d be crazy not to try your best to be the best.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10748 users online. 449 members and 10299 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X