Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passed background, but am I out of the woods?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passed background, but am I out of the woods?

I’ll summarize this as concisely as possible:

I applied for a PD with some past drug use as my biggest background issue (weed a handful of times, two other harder drugs that I experimented with). I passed my background, polygraph, and background interviews and was told that nothing I did was a DQ. So now my next (and basically final) step is the oral board... I guess my question is how likely that drug use is to prevent me from being hired? Would they have already dropped me from the process by now during the background phase if I was going to be passed up due to solely a background issue?

Hopefully that made sense. Insight on this and also any other related advice would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by Columbus View Post
    I’ll summarize this as concisely as possible:

I applied for a PD with some past drug use as my biggest background issue (weed a handful of times, two other harder drugs that I experimented with). I passed my background, polygraph, and background interviews and was told that nothing I did was a DQ. So now my next (and basically final) step is the oral board... I guess my question is how likely that drug use is to prevent me from being hired? Would they have already dropped me from the process by now during the background phase if I was going to be passed up due to solely a background issue?

Hopefully that made sense. Insight on this and also any other related advice would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!
    Not being dropped is not the same as being selected. It's very possible that you will complete the oral board (and whatever other steps are remaining), only to find yourself not selected for the position.

Keep in mind that you're not just being evaluated for meeting the minimum requirements. I'm not accusing you of doing this, but people often come here and get confused or angry if they don't get a job offer after they meet all the requirements. If there are dozens of applicants for a single position, and several of those applicants have backgrounds and qualifications that are nearly ideal, chances are pretty high that the position will not be offered to one of the applicants with less desirable qualities (in education/experience and/or suitability).

TL/DR: You're still in the running. Do your best at the oral board and see what happens.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like making it through background just means that they weren't bad enough for me to beat myself, but they can still be held as negatives against me when going head-to-head against other candidates for limited spots. Makes sense. I have some positives on my resume that I'm hoping will set me apart, but I guess we'll just have to see... I'm sure there is lots of strong competition. Appreciate the feedback!
      Last edited by Columbus; 01-12-2018, 08:07 PM.

Comment

When you say oral board, didn't you already pass a written and oral before getting to the background?

Please clarify.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          When you say oral board, didn't you already pass a written and oral before getting to the background?

Please clarify.
          Sorta... there was an oral component, but not a board. The oral component I've completed was a video test where I sat down and watched scenarios play out on a screen, then gave a response to the situation which was recorded, and then later graded by the department. The score on that test is what this dept. uses to build their preference list. Right now those of us being processed are in the 90-100 score band; the 70 and 80 bands have not started their background process yet. But I have not been through a traditional, panel oral board yet. The order with the dept. I'm applying for goes as so...

Written / multiple choice / oral response video test (score placement)
          PT test
          Background / polygraph / "final interview"
          Oral board
          Conditional offer

I've completed everything up to the oral board at this point. Hope I described that in a way that makes sense!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10617 users online. 495 members and 10122 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X