Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relationships...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Relationships...

    Alright...my question is that how much do they ask about your past/present relationships? I'm 22 and never really had a steady girlfriend....I just never really had time/found something that completely blew me away... and don't really see the point. I date around quite a bit but never saw the need to even remotely start looking for someone I might possibly spend the rest of my life with. I had waaay to many friends in high school that did the whole "I love you" thing for a few months..or a year...or whatever.. sure enough, it turned into the whole "I hate you thing" blah blah blah...a waste of time and effort in my opinion. I think the longest relationship I had was for like 2 or 3 months. It was alot of fun and all, I mostly saw her on the weekends.

    Will this be a bad thing later on? I don't want them to think I'm a complete *******...or that I have commitment issues... I guess for me it's always been miss right now...not miss right.

  • #2
    Originally posted by FutureLEO04
    Alright...my question is that how much do they ask about your past/present relationships? I'm 22 and never really had a steady girlfriend....I just never really had time/found something that completely blew me away... and don't really see the point. I date around quite a bit but never saw the need to even remotely start looking for someone I might possibly spend the rest of my life with. I had waaay to many friends in high school that did the whole "I love you" thing for a few months..or a year...or whatever.. sure enough, it turned into the whole "I hate you thing" blah blah blah...a waste of time and effort in my opinion. I think the longest relationship I had was for like 2 or 3 months. It was alot of fun and all, I mostly saw her on the weekends.

    Will this be a bad thing later on? I don't want them to think I'm a complete *******...or that I have commitment issues... I guess for me it's always been miss right now...not miss right.
    This is the absolute least of your worries when appling for a LEO position. The dept I am testing for asked for my marital status, they never asked about my dating history...I'm pretty sure they can care less.

    Comment


    • #3
      thank you sir for the reply

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 0311Grunt
        This is the absolute least of your worries when appling for a LEO position. The dept I am testing for asked for my marital status, they never asked about my dating history...I'm pretty sure they can care less.
        I beg to differ in this situation. One of the department I applyed for asked not only about pass relationships but also those you "casually dated" as well. I would say it varies from departments but most do.

        Comment


        • #5
          I've never seen many questions in regards to past relationships in pre-hire. Most background packets will ask for family members, spouse, children, etc, but I have yet to be asked about my dating status. While I suppose that kind of information might give a department an idea about personal stability, I'd suspect that most departments avoid those kinds of questions because of the possibility of legal troubles connected to sexual preference. I mean, imagine a department asking about a candidate's dating history, discovering that they're homosexual, and the candidate is later eliminated from the process. Chances are, there'd be a sexual discrimination lawsuit filed in short order.
          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
          -Friedrich Nietzsche

          Comment


          • #6
            Ask anyone who has completed the Nashville PD's background check, they can vouche that they want to know their names, addresses and phone numbers. As if I remember or care about those people now...

            Comment


            • #7
              I have been a BI for about 5 years for a fairly large department in Michigan. We do ask for past significant others, but it is more for judging your character when we track these people down. Nobody gives up dirt on candidates like a scorned ex. I would not worry so much about not being in a serious relationship. 22 is still very young.
              Good Luck

              Comment


              • #8
                thanks all....it's appreciated

                Comment


                • #9
                  If your dating history is asked for, provide it. I don't see it as being an issue. There is no "magic" age at which a man or woman suddenly becomes able to make a commitment long term.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PhilipCal
                    If your dating history is asked for, provide it. I don't see it as being an issue. There is no "magic" age at which a man or woman suddenly becomes able to make a commitment long term.
                    I agree with PhillipCal.

                    You only 22 years old, nobody expects that you have had several long-term relationships, or even one. The purpose of dating is to find "the one." So who can blame you for not finding 'the one" yet. Relax, enjoy, have fun.
                    You can now follow me on twitter.

                    Comment

                    MR300x250 Tablet

                    Collapse

                    What's Going On

                    Collapse

                    There are currently 5488 users online. 317 members and 5171 guests.

                    Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                    Welcome Ad

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X