Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brutally Honest Opinions

Hi,
    I know you guys hate these type of questions, but I thought I’d give it a shot anyways. I want to gauge my strength as a candidate and to see if it is worth self-sponsoring for Police Academy. I graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Political Science in 2012 and I was a member of two different honor societies. After I graduated, I worked on a Political Action Commitee. In 2013, I decided I wanted to see the world, so I bought a one way ticket to Thailand. During my 2.5 years in Thailand I taught English to local children, earned a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate, and my Professional Teaching License for the state of Florida. I’m currently on my second year as a public school teacher in South Florida. I have zero debt and a credit score of 771. I do have a MAJOR negative that I think will sink my chances. When I was 21, I received a DWI and Leaving the Scene of an Accident charge on 7/1/10. The background story for DWI was that I was drinking too much,obviously, and wrecked my car. Thankfully the only person hurt was my [email protected]$$ self. I had a concussion and was disoriented, which led me to wander away from the accident (about one street away) and earn myself the Leaving the Scene of an Accident charge. I don’t have a drinking problem and I haven’t even had a parking ticket since then. I’m not making any excuses, but I hope my idiotic decision didn’t sink my chance. If you guys believe I have absolutely no chance of being a LEO, then I will be content with serving the community through teaching. Thanks for your advice and opinions!
    Last edited by TeachertoPolice; 01-08-2018, 09:59 PM.

Try to apply if you want. Worst that can happen is they'll say no. As for your strength as a candidate... very low. I 100% would NOT self sponsor.

Comment

Hiring standards are a little different in law enforcement. All the things you see as a plus are meaningless fluff to us as they do not demonstrate your ability to actually perform the duties of a police officer. You appear to meet the minimum qualifications for education, credit and stable work history. Things like "Political Action Committee" always invite curiosity, and questions will arise during the background as such names are often code words for anti-police groups. Your motives for wanting to become part of a law enforcement agency and gain access to confidential intelligence information and computer data bases will be examined. Depending on the agency you apply with, the DUI is a toss up. Time heals most wounds and it will depend on the circumstances of your accident and your personal history since then.

I agree with the others. Apply at several places. The worst that can happen is they say no.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

L-1 nailed it.

Comment

Let me ask you this: Do you still drink? How much do you drink?

Your BI will ask you about this, be truthful and don’t minimize and I sure hope you can truthfully say you have made several changes to your life to prevent it from happening again.

Being able to speak a foreign language may help depending on the needs of the agency, but the DUI is a major road bump and you need to put a few more years between it and applying. How old were you when you received your DUI?

Apply and be ready to move for a job in LE as there may be an agency who will take a risk on you.....on the other side of the country.

Best of luck.

Comment

I saw you as a strong candidate due to your background. I like the varied jobs and experiences you noted in your careers

Then I saw the DUI and Leaving the Scene.........................that dropped your value immensely .

Its about 8 yrs ago so (as L-1 noted) time is starting to be on your side . It's a toss up as to the requirements of the individual agencies as to if it will be a big problem and for how much longer it will be a problem

The career is very competitive...................and most of your competition will not have a DUI record so that puts you way down the list

I wouldn't spend the money to self sponsor
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Why is it that the guys with the "best backgrounds" have "troublesome" backgrounds prior to or in conjunction with them?
              Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
              USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
              "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
              Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Thank you for all the great responses! You guys definitely confirmed my feelings about self sponsoring. The PAC was to sponsor a piece of legislation (infrastructure bill) that was going through congress and to help a certain president get elected. As Iowa #1603 has noted, it has been 8 years and I was 21 at the time. I was comfortable moving to another country for a job, so I'm open moving to another state if I need to.

Comment

Originally posted by TeachertoPolice View Post
                  Hi,
                  I know you guys hate these type of questions, but I thought I’d give it a shot anyways. I want to gauge my strength as a candidate and to see if it is worth self-sponsoring for Police Academy. I graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Political Science in 2012 and I was a member of two different honor societies. After I graduated, I worked on a Political Action Commitee. In 2013, I decided I wanted to see the world, so I bought a one way ticket to Thailand. During my 2.5 years in Thailand I taught English to local children, earned a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate, and my Professional Teaching License for the state of Florida. I’m currently on my second year as a public school teacher in South Florida. I have zero debt and a credit score of 771. I do have a MAJOR negative that I think will sink my chances. When I was 21, I received a DWI and Leaving the Scene of an Accident charge on 7/1/10. The background story for DWI was that I was drinking too much,obviously, and wrecked my car. Thankfully the only person hurt was my [email protected]$$ self. I had a concussion and was disoriented, which led me to wander away from the accident (about one street away) and earn myself the Leaving the Scene of an Accident charge. I don’t have a drinking problem and I haven’t even had a parking ticket since then. I’m not making any excuses, but I hope my idiotic decision didn’t sink my chance. If you guys believe I have absolutely no chance of being a LEO, then I will be content with serving the community through teaching. Thanks for your advice and opinions!
                  I don't think that you have "absolutely no chance of being a LEO". As Iowa noted, your employment history and varied life experiences make you an attractive candidate. As far as the DUI goes, it will disqualify you with some, but not all agencies. My department has an unwritten zero tolerance policy (mostly due to the fact that some area PDs have had huge issue with officer DUIs)...but many departments will give you a chance after 5, 7 or 10 years have passed.

I'd say apply. You have nothing to lose. If you don't get hired, you still have a solid career in place.

As far as self-sponsoring...maybe an officer from FL can chime in. I don't know how common it is for people to self-sponsor vs being hired first. I'd say don't waste any money on self-sponsoring. However, if the vast majority of agencies only hire self-sponsored applicants then you may just have to make that investment if you're serious about wanting to become a cop.

Comment

I am going to agree with L-1 and Iowa on this. There are a lot of things that do stand out that make me think you might be an asset to the profession and one bad mark that tarnishes everything. My take is that with my former agency the current sheriff would look at the black mark and take a pass. His predecessor would at least give hiring you some debate. It could all come down to the attitude of the decision maker.
                    In God We Trust
                    Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

There are lots of "yes, no, maybe, it depends" answers. That's because none of us can predict the future. None of us can say what any particular agency would say. Another person who asked us about his prospects had a history of hookers and meth. That answer was easy. Yours isn't. You'd get just as valid an answer as you would by clicking the link below, typing in your question and clicking the Ask button.

http://www.ask8ball.net/

You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt5811 View Post
                        There are lots of "yes, no, maybe, it depends" answers. That's because none of us can predict the future. None of us can say what any particular agency would say. Another person who asked us about his prospects had a history of hookers and meth. That answer was easy. Yours isn't. You'd get just as valid an answer as you would by clicking the link below, typing in your question and clicking the Ask button.

http://www.ask8ball.net/
                        Cool. I went ahead and asked if OP could become a cop. This is the reply I got:

"Reply hazy, try again."

Comment

• Curt5811
                          Curt5811 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Basically paraphrasing everyone else's response.

See? I love that site.

Thanks once again for everyone taking the time to reply. It sounds like it's a toss of a coin on whether an agency will give me a chance, and in all honesty, I'll take those odds. When I was applying for teaching jobs I also had a similar situation because of my unusual background. I applied to 200 schools, and listened to 200 rejections, before I found a school willing to take a chance on me. I'm ready to repeat the same process if that is what it takes. I also did a little more research and it does look a lot of Florida agencies hire self-sponsored candidates, so it seems that I will have to go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by TeachertoPolice View Post
                          Thanks once again for everyone taking the time to reply. It sounds like it's a toss of a coin on whether an agency will give me a chance, and in all honesty, I'll take those odds. When I was applying for teaching jobs I also had a similar situation because of my unusual background. I applied to 200 schools, and listened to 200 rejections, before I found a school willing to take a chance on me. I'm ready to repeat the same process if that is what it takes. I also did a little more research and it does look a lot of Florida agencies hire self-sponsored candidates, so it seems that I will have to go that route.
                          Think twice about self sponsoring, it’s a relatively expensive process with no guarantee for getting hired.

Apply to all the agencies you can find, be prepared to move for the job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3837 users online. 260 members and 3577 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X