Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eligibility List

Hello,

My husband is a LEO and applied, tested, and interviewed for a department across the country a few weeks ago. He made the "top 3" and was put on an eligibility list/on retainer, as there are no positions currently open (small dept). He emailed the dept and thanked them for their time during his stay out there and they responded by informing him basically that he interviewed well, he's going to be a great fit, and they're excited to have him apart of the team in the future, however, they currently have a prospective officer in the background process from a prior list that will bring them to full staff. They ended the email with stating that they hope he'll be patient for an opening.

My question is (and I'm not a LEO), have any of you officers ever tested/interviewed for another dept and were put on a "list" as my husband was? If so, generally, how long did you end up waiting until you were called? Did you or do you have to retest (POPAT, written exam, poly, etc) if a certain amount of time passes between the time you initially test and the time you receive a call?

TIA

***I should add that he has about 8 years on so this isn't his first position out of the academy.
    Last edited by Kla87; 12-23-2017, 05:44 PM.

In most city/county/state civil service agency, everyone is placed on a list in the order of their combined civil service test scores. Applicants are then hired from the list in the order of their scores (highest first, next highest second, etc.)

Many agencies where I'm at have what's called the Rule of Three. This allows a department to fill a vacancy from anyone in the highest three scores. They may choose one of those people for any reason or for no reason and they do not have to justify their reason for doing so. It could be because that person has a special skill, speaks a second language, is the Mayor's brother in law, or shares the same hobby as the Chief.

If the person in the #2 spot is hired, then someone from spots 1, 3 & 4 become the top three and someone from their ranks must be chosen to fill the next vacancy. If #4 is hired next, then #1, 3 & 5 are the top three from which the next appointment must be made.

I hope that clears things up for you.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Kla87
      Kla87 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Originally posted by Kla87 View Post
    My question is (and I'm not a LEO), have any of you officers ever tested/interviewed for another dept and were put on a "list" as my husband was? If so, generally, how long did you end up waiting until you were called?
    It all depends on openings & permission to hire a replacement.
    If there are no more openings on the agency for the next 3 yrs........................well they aren't going to need to hire anyone new

There can't be any "general" time frame for that unless you KNOW the turnover rate at that particular agency

Originally posted by Kla87 View Post
    Did you or do you have to retest (POPAT, written exam, poly, etc) if a certain amount of time passes between the time you initially test and the time you receive a call
    if you are on a hiring list...................you should not have to re-test unless the list expires. Many agencies have a one or two year life for certified hiring lists. If it takes longer than the life of the list to get an opening AND permission to hire...................then you have to re-test , re-interview and maybe re-background in order to get a new certified list so they can hire.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Kla87
      Kla87 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your response.

Forget them. There are too many depts. looking to hire. You peeps are willing to move. It will be that dept's loss.
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

• Kla87
      Kla87 commented
      Editing a comment
      I do agree, but he is particular about where we go because he does not want to go through the academy again and we do not want to move somewhere where they get a lot of cold weather/snow. So, our choices...his choices, are limited. This specific dept will not send him to an academy. If his credentials do not meet their standards, he'd most likely do like an abbreviated academy, but it would focus on laws and such. Not the physical components.

To add further to my post, police departments (and government agencies in general) are budgeted to employ a specific number of people. A new person cannot be hired until an existing position becomes vacant.

To get a ballpark idea of when one might be hired, you need to know three things. First, you need to know your position on the list. Next you need to know how long the list is good for before it expires. Last, you need to know how many people they anticipate hiring during the life of the list.

If someone is #5 on a list that is good for two years and they anticipate hiring 10 people during the life of the list, odds are they will get to him during the first year of the list. OTOH, if they are #20 on the list, odds are the list will expire before that person is even reachable and they will never hear from the department again.

Now, I offer this thought off the top of my head. You say your husband tested with a small department on the other side of the country. This makes it hard to do a comprehensive background investigation on him as part of the hiring process. A small department does not have the funds or personnel resources to send an officer to your neck of the woods for 30 days or so to knock on doors and talk to friends, relatives, employers, neighbors, etc. They can ask a local or state law enforcement agency to do one on their behalf, but a comprehensive background is time consuming (at least 160 hours or more) and there is no telling how much time the locals are willing to devote, or what quality of work they will put into it.

Earlier I spoke of the hiring process and the Rule of Three, Unless your husband came to the table with absolutely sterling, walk on water, I would kill to get this guy credentials, odds are the department is going to Rule of Three him and pick someone else because it's almost impossible to have a good background investigation done on him from across the country.

Comment

• Kla87
      Kla87 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what I do know:

Although the dept is small, it's in a very affluent town (does that make a difference)? During the testing process, there were seven candidates to begin with, but two didn't make the POPAT, leaving them with five. After the interviews, two were eliminated and only three moved on to the poly (hubby being one). I am unsure of the turnover rate, but this specific dept only hires lateral officers (out of state or in state). I know that during his time out there, there were two or three other candidates from out of state (one neighboring our home state actually). Lastly, when he left, the officer who orchestrated the hiring process told my husband, "you might expect a call sooner rather than later." This is really all that I know.

Why would they allow someone to travel across the country to test when they aren't financially willing or able to investigate in their background?

Thank you.

Yes, the can. You cannot deny someone the ability to test simply because of where they live. However, you can use the Rule of Three to narrow your selection.

I am just speculating based on past experience. If they are a well funded department, they may have the means to contract with a local agency and pay for a full blown background, changing the whole hiring dynamic. Just wait and see and keep your fingers crossed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12059 users online. 469 members and 11590 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X